A Dogbeasts Guide to R&D

Xantholne

Updated from current list at request that isn't actually 100% up to date but it's what i had that was the most up to date because reasons for real i dont acutally know what all is needed anymore this is just an old list and something something honestly who reads this shit.

Basic Capacitor, made in PROTOLATHE, AUTOLATHE (Power: 1)
Micro Manipulator, made in PROTOLATHE, AUTOLATHE (Materials: 1Data: 1)
Basic Micro-Laser, made in PROTOLATHE, AUTOLATHE (Magnets: 1)
toolbox, made in ? (Combat: 1)
welding tool, made in ? (Plasma: 1)
High-Capacity Power Cell, made in PROTOLATHE, AUTOLATHE, MECHFAB, PODFAB (Power: 2)
Science Goggles, made in PROTOLATHE (Engineering: 1, Magnets: 2)
Advanced Capacitor, made in PROTOLATHE (Power: 3)
Advanced Scanning Module, made in PROTOLATHE (Magnets: 3)
Mass-Spectrometer, made in PROTOLATHE (Biotech: 1, Plasma: 2)
Advanced Reagent Scanner, made in PROTOLATHE (Biotech: 3, Magnets: 4, Plasma: 3)
advanced hard disk drive, made in PROTOLATHE (Data: 2, Engineering: 2
Tracking Beacon, made in PROTOLATHE (Bluespace: 1)
global positioning system, made in PROTOLATHE (Bluespace: 2, Materials: 2)
Holographic Sign Projector, made in PROTOLATHE (Data: 3)
Mining Drill, made in PROTOLATHE (Engineering: 3, Materials: 2)
cluster hard disk drive, made in PROTOLATHE (Data: 4, Engineering: 4)
Advanced Matter Bin, made in PROTOLATHE (Materials: 3)

Upgrade Circruit Imprinter with Nano Manips

Machine Board (SUPERPACMAN-type Generator), made in IMPRINTER (Power: 4
Console Board (Telepad Control Console), made in IMPRINTER (Bluespace: 3, Plasma: 4)

Make a Portable Chem Dispenser and Autolathe

Machine Board (Quantum Pad Board), made in IMPRINTER (Bluespace: 4)
Machine Board (Teleportation Hub), made in IMPRINTER (Materials: 4)
Security HUD, made in PROTOLATHE (Combat: 2)
Large Grenade, made in PROTOLATHE (Combat: 3)
Exosuit Board ("Gygax" Weapons & Targeting Control module), made in IMPRINTER (Combat: 4, Data: 4)
Floral Somatoray, made in PROTOLATHE (Biotech: 4)
heart/brain, made in ? (Biotech: 5)
Reviver implant, made in PROTOLATHE, MECHFAB (Materials: 5)
Bluespace Crystal
Bluespace Crystal
AI Module (Purge), made in IMPRINTER (Data: 5)
Diamond Mining Drill, made in PROTOLATHE (Materials: 6)
PCMK-6 Bolar Launcher, Made in Exosuit Fabricator (Combat 5 Materials 4 Engineering 4)
P-X Tesla Cannon, Made in Exosuit Fabricator (Material 4 Engineering 4Combat 6 Magnet 5)
P-X Tesla Cannon, Made in Exosuit Fabricator (Material 4 Engineering 4Combat 6 Magnet 5)
Phazon Torso (Plasma: 5)

Print 10 Tech disks, take to Cargo after loading a tech level on every disk of different techs
machine prototype, made in ? (Engineering: 6)
machine prototype, made in ? (Engineering: 6)

Bug Cargo and Botany for stuff. Bribe Cargo with tech disks

ambrosia gaia branch, made in ? (Biotech: 6) or sentience potion, made in ? (Biotech: 6)
charged slime core, made in ? (Power: 5) or glowcap cluster, made in ? (Power: 6)
glowcap cluster, made in ? (Power: 6)

Notable Items Required:
Ambrosia Gaia Branch or Sentience Potion
One to two glowcaps, if one charged slime core.
One to Two Machine Prototypes from cargo, if one, mining jetpack

Illegal Tech:
Xray Laser Gun, made in PROTOLATHE (Illegal: 1)

Edited by Xantholne
update?
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Xantholne said:

Chain of Command

No amount of Science can justify giving out the Chain of Command.

Also, I feel bad for posting here to help this sick joke of a feature work, but:

Instead of a sheet of Uranium, use a reviver implant. Cheaper.

Instead of a sheet of Diamond, use a diamond mining drill. Cheaper.

You can use a Bola Launcher from Robotics to get to Combat 6. Don't waste the Chain of Command.

You can get to Plasma 6 by using a Phazon torso, also from Robotics. Super expensive, but THE NUMBERS GET HIGHER.

Edited by FlattestGuitar
  • Like 1

Heres Thalis update on how to get the other departments to do what you want (or not which results in you doing nothing at all but egoistic scichem fun) (slight cynism ahead, try holding it with both hands):

First: Make sure you tell them that you dont do half deeds and they either help you aqquire those items or nothing gets upgraded at all and Science becomes a second Botany just doing shit. If they dont cooperate simply do not work. They will eventually when people start to realize how annoying it is to work with unupgraded equipment. I call this "Thalis Shitter RnD Scientist Method". They either get you the items no questions asked or you simply dont do the work, because why bothering doing half things when you could complete the job. 

The Autolathe gets delivered by engineers for the most part which I am quite suprised with. If not, print it ASAP and set it up. Or break into Techstorage, get the board and steal some gloves aswell for the effort you had to do. Get a dedicated Sci-Chem guy to message the QM every 2 minutes telling him to order 2 machine prototypes. He will eventually. Or he will turn his PDA off. If thats the case hope the Sci-Chem guy is a traitor and buys the Detomatix and gets him to turn the PDA on (oh that was sarcasm, the detomatix part). For Ambrosia Gaia. Go into botany which is more often not occupied than it is occupied, hack the seed vendor there with your autolathe items and steal ambrosia vulgaris, glowshrooms, tomato and chilli seeds. If some botanist is growing weed and asks you what you are doing tell him to either fuck off or be actually friendly and say "I need this for RnD." which is your new standard excuse for breaking into things. Now go back print botany tools and setup a couple trays in scichem. This is important do it in scichem or you get annoying greytide asking you for dank ass weed which they can aqquire from botany which doesnt do anything other than that most of the time. Oh by the way dont you dare and forget the Nettles. You can make deathnettles with that which is a robust melee weapon and I think it gave Combat 5 aswell. Now then onto botany:

Make like... 100 units of mutagen... 100 units of Diethylamine and get buckets for that. Probably more.

Fill the plants up with mutagen till they mutate into your desired plants. Keep them well with Diethylamine and deweed them with the cultivator. Dont give a fuck about other plants they mutate into. Just keep adding mutagen till you get Ambrosia Gaia (from Ambrosia Deus from Ambrosia Vulgaris),  Ghost Chilli (From Chilli), Glowcaps (from Glowshroom) and Killer Tomatoes (From Tomatoes duh). Dont throw away bluespace or blue tomatoes though. They are very robust items. Blue Tomatoes slip and bluespace tomatoes teleport people. Very good nonelethal defense. But really. Dont give a damn about other mutations, they are not of interest. You are a scientist, not some weed growing chainsmoker. Except deathnettles. Cause you need muh powergames. 

Now then. You got the botany part done by yourself by simply breaking into a mostly noneexistent department. If it is existant tell them to make you the items you require, bribe them with 3 buckets of mutagen and later a chem dispenser like Thali usually does to get Deathnettles.

Onto the next thing: Cargo: Do not upgrade their shit until they gave you 2 prototypes. By their shit I mean any shit. Do not upgrade anything until you get the boards. Either the QM is decent and orders them for you or you have to ask them. If he denies you or sends you to the HoP to do some shitty paperwork for essential items: Simply dont do RnD that shift. And redirect all complains to the QM forcing you to do unnecessary paperwork. Remember you are a Scientist, not some bureaucrat. 

For Security: They want their toys. Really. They want their toys... tell the warden/HoS that you need a combat shotgun to get the really good stuff. Usually they comply because you give them toys to play with. Beneficial for both sides. Havent seen any trouble from them so far. I mean they watch you putting the Combat Shotgun into the lathe and then you can directly print some fun stuff for them too. Also implants are alot cheaper once upgraded so you can mass produce like 30 of them. And then realise you only got 10 people in sec.

Then you get combat 6. Guess what? Xray-Laser. Print. That. Shit. Get Illegals to 2. Then... well get a diamond and make a Tyrant AI Module. Dont upload it via Upload board. Think it should still give you illegals 3. Then you can make E-Crossbows for sweet ass illegals 4. Then Thermals. Check if it got changed to yield illegals 5. Else cry security a Riven if they come and ask you to make sexy adrenalin and freedom implants caus you cant anymore. Check anyhow if you can make freedom, they might yield illegals, gotta check on that. 

Edit: Nope illegals are a thing of the past except you are a filthy traitor or get the HoS somehow to get you an illegal item or you find a high tier maint loot illegal item other than the toolbox. Without help max illegals you get is illegals 2. However if you are good you can smuggle a combat shotgun out. Also there are some other ways to avoid stuns or reduce the stuntime. Hehe. 

That should be done within 1h into the shift. Upgrades (femtos etc) can still be done by 30 minutes provided you know how to botany and how to break into botany to get the desired seeds. 

Its really just more tedious and annoying. The time is the same if you get routine... Oh and you get deathnettles because you got a cheap excuse to make them. "I need this for RnD" is the new meta (as in most efficient tactic aviable) excuse for breaking into other departments and taking shit. I am serious. This works. Its as good as the "A changeling did it" excuse when caught as a Traitor without your gear.

Well atleast engineering delivers your autolathe right away most of the time. If not steal some multitool or take the one in scichem. If its taken yell over comms that you need it for RnD. If they dont comply backtail into cargo, print it, ignore the furious QM for breaking his paperwork bullshit Queue and go break into the tech storage. Get the board. If caught just get the board and say you need it for RnD. If they dont comply or even *gasp* detain you dont do RnD and do Scichem or toxins. Redirect all complains to the people keeping you off of work. Heck you could even ask the AI to open it. If on crewsimov say that doing RnD without an Autolathe hurts your brain and will conflict with its law. If its on corporate tell it that you wont do RnD at all without the board thus causing expenses to the station and the AI because borgs wont get upgrades. And if noone is watching and you break in... take some gloves while you are at it. You deserve them.

After lots of thinking I came to the conclusion... RnD is alot more lifelike. You get to yell at people because they simply dont get what you are doing. You get to yell at people for being in your way. You get yelled at for stealing mundane stuff which you need for some kind of experiment (I need this spoon to stirr my Reaction because I lost all my stirers.). And if people are in your way you simply do not do your job till they see the influence of you not doing your job. Which is far bigger in this game than in reality. Is the new RnD good? No. It still sucks and it still results in Thali doing more Scichem than anything else and going for the cheeky last second kills if traitor. Or just doing RnD till syringe gun and crewmonitor and pumping the targets full of sarin or something cause all scientists are filthy powegamers and dont RP with their targets or just straight up kill them early and gib their body. And instead of chembombs for explosives using toxin bombs if I feel like it cause I am a filthy science powergamer according to some.

But yeah bet there is some way to avoid most forms of "cooperating" with other departments. Just needs to be found.

Edited by EldritchSigma
  • Like 2

Obligatory mention: https://kyep.github.io/paratools/rndtool/RDT.html#

This tool works like the old R&D tool, in that it tells you which items will increase tech levels in R&D.

However, it has a few advantages over the old tool:

• It is based on current R&D / github tech level data.
  • It highlights items you can deconstruct to get multiple levels at once.
  • It highlights items from Xantholne's item list.
  • It supports weird objects, like brains, which aren't produced in a machine. Pretty much anything with a tech level.
  • It supports the abductor tech tree (you will probably never use this, but, should you ever want to).

Known bugs:

• Combat shotguns, riot shotguns, and bluespace crystals are not guaranteed to show up in the list of items.
Edited by tzo

On 6/4/2017 at 11:17 AM, EldritchSigma said:

The Autolathe gets delivered by engineers for the most part which I am quite suprised with. If not, print it ASAP and set it up. Or break into Techstorage, get the board and steal some gloves as well for the effort you had to do.

LOL - That is basically exactly how it would go down if I were doing it.  Pay me for the time I'm wasting because you are shitlords... these insulated gloves look nice, so I'll just pocket them. But I may or may not need something else later to make us even so if I come back in 45 minutes to steal an EVA suit from Engineering, it's because I came to the determination that you still owe me.

• 3 weeks later...

I've put together my own list, managed to make it shorter by getting the biotech done first.

brain (Biotech: 5)
heart (Biotech: 5)

Basic Capacitor (Power: 1)
Basic Micro-Laser(Magnets: 1)
Micro Manipulator (Data: 1, Materials: 1)
welding tool (Engineering: 1, Plasma: 1)
Tracking Beacon (Bluespace: 1)
global positioning system (Bluespace: 2, Materials: 2)
advanced battery module (Engineering: 2, Power: 2)
Reagent Scanner (Magnets: 2, Plasma: 2)
tracking implant (Data: 2)
Handheld Crew Monitor (Data: 3, Magnets: 3, Materials: 3)
super battery module (Engineering: 3, Power: 3)
cluster hard disk drive (Data: 4, Engineering: 4)
advanced mass-spectrometer (Magnets: 4, Plasma: 3)
welding shield implant (Materials: 4)

Console Board (Telepad Control Console) (Bluespace: 3, Plasma: 4)
Machine Board (SUPERPACMAN-type Generator) (Engineering: 4, Power: 4)
Machine Board (Quantum Pad Board) (Bluespace: 4)

toolbox (Combat: 1)
Security HUD (Combat: 2)
Large Grenade(Combat: 3)
Exosuit Board ("Gygax" Weapons & Targeting Control module) (Combat: 4)
Exosuit Weapon Design (PCMK-6 Bola Launcher) (Combat: 5)

Reviver implant (Materials: 5)
AI Module (Purge) (Data: 5) OR --wired network card (Data: 5)
2x Exosuit Weapon Design (P-X Tesla Cannon) (Combat: 6, Magnets: 6)
Diamond Mining Drill (Materials: 6)

2x bluespace crystal (Bluespace: 6)

mining jetpack (Engineering: 5) OR machine prototype (Engineering: 6)
machine prototype (Engineering: 6)

minebot AI upgrade (Data: 6)

ambrosia gaia branch (Biotech: 6) OR sentience potion (Biotech: 6)

-- Phazon Armor (Plasma: 5)
2x glowshroom cluster (Plasma: 6) OR 2x bunch of glow-berries (Plasma: 6)
2x glowcap cluster (Power: 6)

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, EldritchSigma said:

Inject a monkey twice with mutagen supposedly gibs it. Grab Brain and Heart from that.

Will unstable mutagen do the same on a person?  Surely we need more than two syringes from a syringe gun to get greentext...

3 hours ago, alexpkeaton said:

Will unstable mutagen do the same on a person?  Surely we need more than two syringes from a syringe gun to get greentext...

No, it's to do with how the monkey's SE is formed when they spawn. It doesn't affect a non-cube monkey nor does it affect other mobs. It'll just mutate them.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use