Chems Fridge Access

ZN23X

Lets approach this from an in character, roleplay perspective. Lets say that I am an assistant, who has just shocked himself while trying to hack the hot drinks vendor. My hands now charred stumps, I rush to medbay, walking in as some other patient walks out. Rather than asking for a doctor to fix me, I jab my burnt digits at the medicine locker, pulling out a patch. I apply it to my burnt hands, which regain some of their original color and shape. Seeing that no one has stopped me from accessing the medical locker, I decide to take a few other patches for myself, as well as some painkillers so I can get high later. Because no one has stopped me yet, I decide to steal the CMO's cat, because apparently it's just free game in medbay today. However, the medical vendors scattered around medbay stop my looting spree, as they have ID locks on them. I scratch my head and think, *Why did they bother to put locks on these things if the fridge is free game?*. I wander out, my bag full of pills and patches that will likely never be used by someone who actually needs them.

Alright, lets break down this little episode, and hopefully I'll get you to see why the fridge being unlocked is so ridiculous.

1. Anyone can treat themselves. Doctors? Pffft, who needs them. Anyone can undermine the doctors by throwing themselves into a cryotube or stealing some patches from the vendor.
  2. Anyone can help themselves. If the fridge is unlocked, of course people are going to steal from it. The fridge and all of it's goodies are in an easy to reach spot, free for anyone to take. It's a blank check for powergaming. Why not steal a few synthflesh patches? Players who resist powergaming will stop themselves from stealing all the synthflesh patches for themselves, but with our high population it's not logical to assume that every player will abide by an unspoken rule.
  3. The vendors have locks, while the fridge doesn't. Why? Who knows. I can't imagine a doctor allowing a patient to take a bottle of medicine back home with them in real life.
  4. Stopping medicine thieves isn't easy. Unless a doctor with a syringe gun or the CMO with their baton is nearby, detaining a thieving assistant isn't easy. Stealing from the fridge is as easy as waltzing into medbay, rapidly clicking on what you want, then hitting the door button and escaping into the hallway.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, FPK said:

However, the medical vendors scattered around medbay stop my looting spree, as they have ID locks on them. I scratch my head and think, *Why did they bother to put locks on these things if the fridge is free game?*.

You wanna know the really funny part? Lockers with nothing but empty pill bottles are behind a medical access only door in a locker only the CMO and Chemist can access, but the actual medicine is accessible to everyone and in the open. 

Also if anyone gives you a hard time about moving the chems fridge into the supply room, just tell them to contact IAA ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ZN23X said:

Also if anyone gives you a hard time about moving the chems fridge into the supply room, just tell them to contact IAA ?

And if they do, he couldn't really do much about it. There are only 2 mentions of the fridge in medical SOP, both under chemist specifically:

6. The Chemist must ensure that the Medical Fridge is stocked with at least enough medication to handle Brute, Burn, Respiratory, Toxic and Brain damage. Failure to follow this Guideline within thirty (30) minutes is to be considered a breach of Standard Operating Procedure;

7. The Chemist is not allowed to leave Chemistry unattended if the Medical Fridge is devoid of Medication, except in such a case as Chemistry is unusable or if Fungus needs to be collected

Nothing in the SOP says the Fridge must be publicly accessible.  I suppose the Captain or CentCom could order the CMO to put the fridge back, though.

• Like 1

Not entirely on topic, but the map that I'm putting together for Paradise has two Chemistry fridges. One internal within MEdical, and one public facing in the main hallway.

The idea being that Chemists can put harmless things in the public facing, such as oculine, or small brute patches, charcoal...

You wouldn't put more dangerous chems like Strange Reagent, Penetic Acid etc in the freely accessible one.

• Like 3

I would like to see that fridge modified so you select which drug you want, and then MUST swipe your ID. If you are not a doctor, paramedic or chemist, get stuffed.

No more free for all please, that fridge is WAY too close to the doors and too easy for people to rush in and mob the fridge with every doctor unable to prevent it from being ransacked.. so please either move it into secure storage, or lock it so only doctors can pull from it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whiskeyfur said:

I would like to see that fridge modified so you select which drug you want, and then MUST swipe your ID. If you are not a doctor, paramedic or chemist, get stuffed.

I'd expand that to anyone with medical clearance (That is, your ID lets you past Medbay reception). I don't have a problem with the Blueshield or Virologist having access to the fridge. 

• Like 1

Just now, EvadableMoxie said:

I'd expand that to anyone with medical clearance (That is, your ID lets you past Medbay reception). I don't have a problem with the Blueshield or Virologist having access to the fridge. 

Anyone with medbay access.. I think the exception might be for .. no.. medbay access would work fine. Can't think of any exceptions.

Blueshield? Seeing as it's a karma locked job from what I've seen, I'm ok with that one.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EvadableMoxie said:

Really like this idea actually. +1 from me!

But it should be really medical access/ or Captain and not Command i dont want to see Command running in Medbay and getting all the stuff the like for their pals.

Heads aren't really an issue.

The HoP has partial access which would let him access the fridge, but the one running the only part of his department that matters is the QM, and the QM does not have medical access.  Even if the HoP didn't have access, he could just give it to himself, anyway.

The HoS does, but Security has the Brig Physician if they need medical attention, so that's fine. Even if you took that away from the HoS, he could just order the Brig Physician to get whatever security needs (Which the Brig Physician should be doing anyway).

That leaves the CE and RD, who don't have medical access, although both their departments are capable of producing medicine on their own if they wanted to. 

Seems fine to me. 

Edited by EvadableMoxie

On 5/9/2017 at 0:46 PM, EvadableMoxie said:

Heads aren't really an issue.

The HoP has partial access which would let him access the fridge, but the one running the only part of his department that matters is the QM, and the QM does not have medical access.  Even if the HoP didn't have access, he could just give it to himself, anyway.

The HoS does, but Security has the Brig Physician if they need medical attention, so that's fine. Even if you took that away from the HoS, he could just order the Brig Physician to get whatever security needs (Which the Brig Physician should be doing anyway).

That leaves the CE and RD, who don't have medical access, although both their departments are capable of producing medicine on their own if they wanted to. 

Seems fine to me. 

The list of authorized personnel should be:

All medical

Blueshield

Brig Physician

No more free for all please, that fridge is WAY too close to the doors and too easy for people to rush in and mob the fridge with every doctor unable to prevent it from being ransacked.. so please either move it into secure storage, or lock it so only doctors can pull from it.

Would be nice if it is like the cargo console. You have to swipe your ID card and it prints or stores your request in a separate database. So people could check later who took what. Important for the detective or security.

The virology fridge is keycard locked, it works exactly like the standard fridge and you can view as much as you want, but to vend you need access in your card slot or hand.  Just porting that over with the correct access requirements would work. 

9 hours ago, EvadableMoxie said:

The virology fridge is keycard locked, it works exactly like the standard fridge and you can view as much as you want, but to vend you need access in your card slot or hand.  Just porting that over with the correct access requirements would work. 

Oh, really? That should be fairly easy to port then. I'll have a look at it when I have some time. I'm still learning byond, so don't count on me!

For that matter I would like an actual prescription like system too... someone walks up to the chemistry window and asks for X... Chemist checks the computer or checks the form the guy provides and it says in a standard format, who prescribed what for how long. Then the chemist can take that paper and replace it with the asked for drugs.

It seems like the intent behind that window into chemistry was to act like a pharmacy.. it's never been used as such from what I saw which to me is an RP opportunity wasted.

I would love that, but i doubt it will be used, seeing that the medical database is also not updated. Because Hud only allows comments.

I think we need a whole new databases to work with in this game. In many departements.

4 minutes ago, BiberDark said:

I would love that, but i doubt it will be used, seeing that the medical database is also not updated. Because Hud only allows comments.

I think we need a whole new databases to work with in this game. In many departements.

Sadly, there's some truth to that.. Kinda want to start a separate server that's RP heavy with more extended rounds to be honest.. then we might se things like that more often.

2 minutes ago, BiberDark said:

Last time i asked the CMO to check and stamp my autopsy reports and he seriously asked me why he had to read them.

... just checked the SOP and it doesn't say you need his stamp. So I suppose you can ignore it then.

https://nanotrasen.se/wiki/index.php/Standard_Operating_Procedure_(Medical)#Coroner_Procedures

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use