Horror Gamemode

Bxil

So, I do not know if such a thing like this have ever existed and got removed or something, but I just found this idea rather interesting so I thought I would share. Also, I am not sure how hard would it be to program this, but I imagine it wouldn't be too easy.

Long story:

So, first it would start like every normal shift. I am not entirely surely how or why, but about 15 minutes into the round the power would go off. If there are any engines online they would shut down. So no power at all. Mining, engineering, research and labor camp shuttles would also become powerless, therefore unusable.

A few randomly selected people (about 5% of the station crew) would get transformed into some zombie-like creatures. They can force airlocks open and they must bite people to transform them also. Their ultimate task is to transform everyone onboard. The crew must survive without getting transformed.

Around 2 hours into the round power would return (I don’t know how yet, but the crew maybe can make power return faster), and thus enabling them to call the shuttle. Alternate version is that no power comes back, but a shuttle arrives.

Long story short:

- No power

- Zombie takeover: spread the virus vs protect the crew

- Power comes back and/or shuttle arrives

Victory conditions:

- Crew major victory: all zombies die (nuking the station counts)

- Crew minor victory: shuttle leaves with humans and no zombies on board

- Stalemate: everybody dies

- Zombie minor victory: shuttle leaves with no humans onboard

- Zombie major victory: everyone is a zombie

People in lockers and on other z-levels of course don’t count.

Notes:

- Shall the PDA servers go down?

- Shall telecoms go down?

Feel free to add anything, this is idea is... very experimental.

• Like 1

First time I ever experienced shadowlings I had such an intense level of paranoia and fear, it has not been replicated since then. I'd love anything to bring me to that place again. 

Hmh.

Not having power also introduces the huhu. Wonderful thing that people can't order in guns enmasse, and lasers can't be recharged.

Food is also going to become an issue, as is scarcity in general. I like it.

• Like 1

My main issue with poweroutages are the fact that they go away like they've never happened. Even though I very much enjoy them! And yes, this inspired by shadowlings. Even though, shadowling rounds after ascension tend to be rather... Chaotic. And I want fear, not chaos.

4 hours ago, ZN23X said:

First time I ever experienced shadowlings I had such an intense level of paranoia and fear, it has not been replicated since then. I'd love anything to bring me to that place again. 

(Remember that "PREPARE YOUR ANUS" shadowling yesterday? Well, I had that feeling what you are talking about for like one minute after ascension, then I ran into it... Into the shadowling I mean... Heh...)

8 hours ago, ZN23X said:

The problem there is now you have meta-knowledge of the situation, what they can do, what they can't... the tell-tale signs... you've probably even been one yourself before.

Not an easy thing to fix, that... but I know exactly what you mean.

On 4/5/2017 at 7:41 AM, Shadeykins said:

Hmh.

Not having power also introduces the huhu. Wonderful thing that people can't order in guns enmasse, and lasers can't be recharged.

Food is also going to become an issue, as is scarcity in general. I like it.

With the power, there is ways around that in order to fix it. 

You can use Powercells, and even make them at Xenobiology (If you're smart enough to not waste all the power cells on other places first)

Alternatively, admins can spawn power cells around the map too.

9 hours ago, Jzoid said:

With the power, there is ways around that in order to fix it. 

You can use Powercells, and even make them at Xenobiology (If you're smart enough to not waste all the power cells on other places first)

Alternatively, admins can spawn power cells around the map too.

You can use the power disabling event to simply make it so power doesn't work, fullstop.

I would like to have a way to restore power somehow. It's of course not something important to have, just a thought. I guess it would be a good motivation for the crew. Maybe enable antags to remove power from repowered areas?

Also, my original two questions are still there: PDA servers and TeleComms?

How about to make things more interesting, how about power might flick on in certain areas for about a minute or two, for the entire purpose of moving the crew around and forcing the zombies to hunt for the spots that flick, the flicks might even provide some salvation in the form of some vending machines turning on or a youtool gaining power

Edited by willior13
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, willior13 said:

How about to make things more interesting, how about power might flick on in certain areas for about a minute or two, for the entire purpose of moving the crew around and forcing the zombies to hunt for the spots that flick, the flicks might even provide some salvation in the form of some vending machines turning on or a youtool gaining power

That's an interesting idea, but let's not forget that we want to leave this kind of easy to program. If it's possible to do so, then I am all up for it.

Also, I just realied we have a bigger problem: the AI. What are we going to do with the AI?

pretty good idea

but for gods sake dont let it be zombies anything but zombies

zombies are dumb also the first thing somebody will do after seeing is not run but try and bash in theyre brain in

zombies arent scary 

also i think the best scary thing is the gateway that leads to the hotel that fucking hotel was scary as hell becouse you had no idea if the automatons would bash your head in with or just stand around and the whole feel in general is scary as fuck

but then some piece of shit comes and kills all the automatons with a rubber ducky and the scary feeling is gone. Which i fear would also happen to this gamemode

Edited by DeadBySmiley

Maybe instead of zombies, we have a slender or SCP-173 type of monster that's whole goal is to depopulate the station. To properly make it terrifying, give it a ridiculous health pool but have it operate on the same basis as the teleporting statue that we already have. Except with some shadowling abilities thrown in like glare

Just an idea 

30 minutes ago, Travelling Merchant said:

People in the discord were talking about a cyberman gamemode, "upgrading" everyone. Could be something like that. Or an entirely new alien species. 

I don't understand. SystemShock and/or abductor style? Elaborate!

I think that in order for it to live up to it's title, it needs to blend in and be quiet along with basically a shadow walk ability. The whole cyberman clunkiness and being very loud I feel would defeat the purpose of horror. 

Tell me, how many horror movies did you enjoy and freak out with where the killer was very loud and slow

Yes, there is certainly some sense in what you are saying. Statues or some modifications of them would probably suffice. How about simply making the statues able to teleport like shadowlings? Also make them get damaged by light.

Yeah, I like that alot, also, more damage taken from heat based damages with a resistance to brute.

And since it needs to be godlike with it's killyness, no toxic or oxygen damage.

Gravity should remain, I assume. And I think it should go out at once. It would be more spooky if it went out from area to area, but I don't know. That would be a dead giveaway that something's not right. But maybe it's good to do it like that, so people can get equipment right away.

3 hours ago, Bxil said:

Gravity should remain, I assume. And I think it should go out at once. It would be more spooky if it went out from area to area, but I don't know. That would be a dead giveaway that something's not right. But maybe it's good to do it like that, so people can get equipment right away.

But not everyone is going to immediately realize that something is up and just give engineering flak, If areas starting flicking out, then after a while it click, but not immediately, especially if someone was to stat snipping wires

Alright, opinion on this?

I just realized that there is a syndicate Power Sink ordered via Uplink. We should make a modified Power Sink which is harder to remove, more powerful, and can be placed by the antagonist(s) with a cooldown. So maybe they can place one every few minutes. If they place them smart then they can remain stealthy until power finally goes out. That would give the crew the option to go and look for the Power Sinks.

On 2017-04-12 at 0:34 PM, willior13 said:

But not everyone is going to immediately realize that something is up and just give engineering flak, If areas starting flicking out, then after a while it click, but not immediately, especially if someone was to stat snipping wires

That's a good thing. More confusion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use