Nanotrasen Representative Guide

Xantholne

So I've been seeing a lot of new Representative's recently, but not a lot going on of them actively doing their job in which they picked. So I thought I'd make a guide to go over everything.

In this guide: I'll be going over the following in no particular order.

• Your Office
  • Your Equipment
  • Your task
  • Writing Formats
  • Standard Operating Procedures

Your Office.

Spoiler

29c6a6878e0ccf70ff50130dd3cf1a09.png

This, is your office at round start. We'll make this simple.

On the top left is your bookshelf, this has every Standard Operating Procedure book in it for every department.

Below that is your printer for making copies of reports.

Right of that is your Stamp and Pen, do not lose either of these.

And on the very bottom is your life line to Central Command, your fax.

Your equipment.

Spoiler

e9af4bd46917671d67fbb73430b0113c.png

So this, is all of your equipment. From left to right.

Your Stamp, NEVER LOSE THIS, EVER. LITERALLY. NEVER SEND A FAX WITHOUT IT EITHER.

Your Pen. You CAN lose this but you wont be a very good representative without the classic pen.

Your Cane. This is your personal weapon. Do not lose this.This is your life line from Greytiders and potential murderers.

Your fancy, golden zippo lighter. This is alright to lose but you'll never smoke in style without it.

Your headset. This headset is special. It has access to ALL departments that you msut manually turn on, please do so.

Your Task

Spoiler

You have several tasks aboard the NSS Cyberiad. The report on your desk at round start lists several of them. Here I will attempt to go over everything you should be doing as the Representative.

Your primary task is ensuring Standard Operating Procedures aboard this top of the line Research Station are being followed accordingly by ALL departments and personnel. his includes all heads, and so forth including yourself.

Ensure the station actually functions as a Research Station

Report any and all SOP breakers to Central Command.

Give regular reports to Central Command abouty the current activities and situations.

Report to Central Command any developments such as Quarantine being enacted or a State of Emergancy from Nuclear Operatives, Blob, and so forth.

Advise any and ALL situations aboard the station at all times.

Furthermore, you side WITH Nanotrasen on any and ALL situations and orders. Do not EVER defy them. They are your boss. You answer to them. You are here as a liason, a REPRESENTATIVE of Nanotrasen aboard the Cyberiad. 

Writing Formats

Spoiler

We'll quickly cover a few things before my default letter to Central Command for most situationsPlease be sure to remove the dots that are within the boxes

[.b] will bold it [/b]

[.u] Will underline [/u]

[.i] Will italicize [/i]

[Small] This will make it small [/small]

[large] This will make it large [/large]

[sign] Will sign your name

[field] Will create a writeable field

[*] Will make a bullet

Now, in most situations, this is the writing field which I use personally to make it more official in your stance Also, please be sure to proofread your faxes before sending. As well as making sure you do in fact stamp the paper before faxing.

[.center][logo][/center]

Hail Trurl,

[field]

Sincerely,

Nanotrasen Representative [sign]

[.i][small]This is an official document written by Nanotrasen Representative [sign] aboard the NSS Cyberiad. Any written document without a Nanotrasen Representative approved current stamp is to be seen as not a legitimate document. Any potential forgey or falsehood of this document should be reported to the Representative and Central Command in some cases directly depending on the severity. Any potential forgery, i.e. a missing stamp should be ignored. An attempted forgery with a stamp but no signature or a miss matched signature/incorrect signature should be reported to Security for further investigation.[/small][/i]

Standard Operating Procedures

Edited by Xantholne
  • Like 2

Wheres the section about hunting antagonists with your cane?

--------

Good guide! I'd like to add 'proofread your faxes' - evidenced by your typo of Formats. :)

Edited by Purpose2

7 minutes ago, Purpose2 said:

Wheres the section about hunting antagonists with your cane?

--------

Good guide! I'd like to add 'proofread your faxes' - evidenced by your typo of Formats. :)

That was actually in the wiki at some point, as well as "send a fax to call in the deathsquad".

3 minutes ago, Shadeykins said:

That was actually in the wiki at some point, as well as "send a fax to call in the deathsquad".

Deathsquad? Never heard of it. Also doesn't seem very appropriate ti actually request one :P 

My advice, for NT reps:

- Send a very short fax to CC at the start of the shift, saying that you are on-duty and will be monitoring the station for SOP compliance. This makes sure we know you exist, and can bear you in mind when making future decisions (like how to handle a terrible Captain). Don't expect an answer to this fax - we don't generally reply to faxes unless we have to.

- Don't fax us over anything trivial. We don't need to know that a security officer mistakenly harmbatoned someone once. We don't care that someone broke into the HOP's office and stole Ian. We are already well aware that the Clown typically isn't funny, and insists on slipping people for no good reason. Etc.

- For serious matters, it is up to you to CLEARLY EXPLAIN both the problem, and the steps you have already taken to try to address it. For example, If the HoS is giving sentences that are not allowable under Space Law, the first thing you should do is tell the HoS about this, and then ask him to correct it. If he refuses, you should take this up with the Captain, and ask him to correct it and/or replace the HoS. If the Captain doesn't do this, THEN you should fax CC, explaining the problem, the steps you took, and the result. A tape recorder is very helpful when it comes to catching heads breaking SOP. Do NOT automatically default to faxing CC about matters that you haven't even taken up with the relevant head, and then the Captain. Always work your way through the chain of command (head, captain, THEN CC). Do not skip straight to messaging CC.

- If you have a specific request, such as an ERT, a replacement captain, or whatnot, state it. Don't demand it, but do state it. "Almost all of the heads are captured and/or dead. Requesting additional backup, such as an ERT." is a good fax. "They're all dead! Help!" is a bad fax.

- Never ask for a Deathsquad. Nanotrasen does not operate "death squads", and anyone saying they do is a dirty syndicate traitor attempting to sow dissent within the crew. Report all dirty syndicate traitors to Nanotrasen Special Security Squad promptly, so they may be re-educated into productive citizens.

- Never ask for a Gamma alert. Gamma alert is overwhelmingly powerful, intended only to counter the very highest level threats, such as runaway blobs, xenos, and adminbus. It is very unlikely that you'd ever need Gamma. If you really believe that is the only solution, you can ask - but 90% of the time, when people ask for Gamma alert, it isn't the right answer. Think about that before you ask for it.

- Feel free to request a Gamma ERT, though. They're less powerful than Gamma alert, and more likely to be granted. Just be aware that the bar for granting them is quite high. Much higher than a regular ERT.

- Don't ask us for an ERT after nuclear operatives have declared war. You aren't getting one. War ops almost always lose, even without an ERT, because they're 5 guys against a crew of 50-100. When the crew get armed, and cluster around the Captain, 5 guys have no chance. You don't need an ERT, any kind of ERT, during war ops. You just need teamwork.

- Always [sign] and stamp your faxes. While I am personally quite relaxed about this, many (most?) admins will completely reject/ignore any fax that doesn't have BOTH. You aren't even guaranteed to get a reply fax explaining what you did wrong. So, always assume you need to use both. Also, PROOFREAD it. Faxes can be rejected due to poor spelling/grammar.

- Keep documentation. You can make a much better case if you have a clear record of what happened.

• 5 weeks later...
On 04/04/2017 at 10:31 AM, Xantholne said:

Report any and all SOP breakers to Central Command.

On 05/04/2017 at 9:10 AM, tzo said:

- Don't fax us over anything trivial.

These clash a bit.

On 04/04/2017 at 10:31 AM, Xantholne said:

Give regular reports to Central Command abouty the current activities and situations.

I've heard many admins say fairly bluntly that they dislike regular updates and I know Tully particularly hates anyone using the 'department ratings' system and updating CC everytime there is a change.

I just feel like the NT rep is too much reliant on how bothered CC can be to give feedback on faxes. Though they're still much more of an enjoyable experience to play than the IAA, who in my opinion is a very bare-bones job. But this isn't really the place to discuss that. Nice guide.

3 hours ago, owenowen101 said:

These clash a bit.

I've heard many admins say fairly bluntly that they dislike regular updates and I know Tully particularly hates anyone using the 'department ratings' system and updating CC everytime there is a change.

I just feel like the NT rep is too much reliant on how bothered CC can be to give feedback on faxes. Though they're still much more of an enjoyable experience to play than the IAA, who in my opinion is a very bare-bones job. But this isn't really the place to discuss that. Nice guide.

Personally:

• In general, I don't find "department ratings" faxes useful. If you do one, be sure that all heads get a copy of it (as this may prompt them to fix issues, which is probably the biggest benefit of doing them). If you send it to CC, don't expect CC to respond.
  • The major thing with faxes is: always try to solve the problem locally first. If a sec officer harmbatons a prisoner, take it up with the HoS. If the HoS doesn't listen, take it up with the Captain. Only when you're sure its a serious SOP violation, and both the relevant head and the Captain are unresponsive to your concerns, should you be faxing CC. Even in this case, the real problem is the Captain not enforcing SOP sensibly, and you MUST describe the efforts you went to to try to resolve it locally within the fax you send. Heads are expected to manage their departments, and Captains are expected to manage their heads of staff. Any issue with a department should be resolvable by working with the head. Any issue with a head should be resolvable by working with the Captain. This is how the chain of command works! It is only when the Captain themselves is failing to address the problem adequately that you need to contact CC. Don't be the asshole IAA/NTrep who faxes CC directly about every little issue, without even bringing it up with the relevant head/captain so they have a chance to solve it. Nobody likes an IAA/NTR who thinks their job is 'get people in trouble'. Not even CC likes that guy! Rather, your job as NT rep (and IAA) is to work WITH command to resolve issues. That means providing information, advice, etc. Faxing CC to request CC-level intervention is a last resort, generally only used to deal with Captains who are incompetent, or who refuse to follow policies. In such a case, include documentation on what happened, how you asked Command to deal with it, and how they failed to do so. Remember: listen, think, advise, escalate to the head, escalate to the Captain, and then, only if everything prior has failed, fax CC.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use