Hail, Cyberiad. Federation Colony Roanoke Here.

SomeGuy9283

I would like to propose a change that will drastically reduce the current issue of over population and further add a unique element to Paradise Station.

The IC premise is this: As a means to counteract the NT monopoly on plasma development, the Human government have bought many of the Asteroids used for mining to colonize. The research patents are controlled by NT, but science installations, like the Cyberiad, must secure the raw minerals from their sister SolGov colonies. The colonies are left alone by the SWF and syndicate, and similar groups, but are under constant attack from asteroid creatures.

The one linked to the Cyberiad is called the Roanoke, and is under the protection of federal marines, rather than NT ERTs. It trades raw minerals with the Cyberiad in exchange for research and genetics disks, food, and logistical aid.  Unlike, the Cyberiad, it is (ICly) a permanent settlement and there is no transfer shutle, although in practice the marines can evacuate them via ferry. It has quarters for all of it's residents, a large number of whom will be miners.

The miners are overseen by the Mining Foreman, whom also sees the trade with the Cyberiad's Quartermaster.

Law and order is upheld by the Federal Marshall, whom is aided by serveral deputies. They have riot shotguns with limited ammo and police batons (in other words, no instastun.). The Marshall himself has an additional revolver and two disabler guns in his locker, as well as a forensic scanner. They also have tear gas and pepper spray. No bolas or flashes by default, though. They will follow "Colonial Regulations", which will, ideally, be distinct from Space Law. They should wear civilian-ish clothes with armbands/badges. 3 cells and an isolation room.

Other miscellaneous jobs will include a Personnel Officer, Earth Liason, Maintenance techs, Doctors and Head Surgeon, and Supply Chief. The Colony as a whole is run by the Governor/Commander or whatever you guys want it to be, whom has a Fax machine capable of communicating with the Cyberiad's Captain. The Roanoke will spy on the Cyberiad's activities and report it to thier superiors, and vice versa.

There a lot of room for this idea to be expanded on, but what do you think?

Additional Clarifications:

• This will all be on the same server, with the intention of dispersing the population more evenly across the map.
  • The Colony will be contained within the asteroid z level, likely just a remodeled and expanded mining outpost.
  • The Mining area will no longer be a NT possession
  • The Brig and Science outposts on the asteroid will be deleted and replaced with asteroid.
  • Station Security will not have jurisdiction on the outpost or asteroid. It has its own laws and own police force.
  • The Cyberiad will not staff any miners, and the mining dock will likely be used for exchanging the minerals for goods.
  • To iterate it once more: The Roanoke is not another space station, it is an asteroid base that has sole legal claim to the asteroid. The Cyberiad has no holdings on the asteroid unless they renovate the derelict mining base.
Edited by SomeGuy9283
added further clarifications.
  • Like 4

I think it's an interesting concept, but you will need antag chances on this station seriously limited.

The smaller number of people will make it so that antagonists will easily wreak havoc there.

41 minutes ago, Shadeykins said:

I think it's an interesting concept, but you will need antag chances on this station seriously limited.

The smaller number of people will make it so that antagonists will easily wreak havoc there.

As stated in the OP, most of the baddies leave the Roanoke alone because the last thing they need is a pissing contest with NT AND SolGov.

I really like the "Space Wild West" vibe that it has. Is this even doable?

It has so much potential with even Roanoke specific stuff, that you can get only there.

Would it be possible to make it colder for example? To give some love to the cold-loving races? 

Dunno how hard this is but...if we wanted this to be part of the current map...convert the court room to some sort of lobby for this operation and convert labor camp to use as the outpost. Two birds with one stone? I realize the labor camp would have to be modified massively to handle this. Hell take one of the derelict stations that is away from the NSS Cyberaid and turn it into this.

...or is the goal not necessarily to make more jobs but create a separate server that is a "sister" to this one for the sake of reducing overall population on Paradise?

13 hours ago, BrandonSacawv said:

Would it just be a z level type of deal, or a whole different server?

Regardless, I really like this idea.

11 hours ago, ZN23X said:

Dunno how hard this is but...if we wanted this to be part of the current map...convert the court room to some sort of lobby for this operation and convert labor camp to use as the outpost. Two birds with one stone? I realize the labor camp would have to be modified massively to handle this. Hell take one of the derelict stations that is away from the NSS Cyberaid and turn it into this.

...or is the goal not necessarily to make more jobs but create a separate server that is a "sister" to this one for the sake of reducing overall population on Paradise?

OK, let me address this with some additional clarifications I will be sure to add to the original post.

• This will all be on the same server, with the intention of dispersing the population more evenly across the map.
  • The Colony will be contained within the asteroid z level, likely just a remodeled and expanded mining outpost.
  • The Mining area will no longer be a NT possession
  • The Brig and Science outposts on the asteroid will be deleted and replaced with asteroid.
  • Station Security will not have jurisdiction on the outpost or asteroid. It has its own laws and own police force.
  • The Cyberiad will not staff any miners, and the mining dock will likely be used for exchanging the minerals for goods.
  • To iterate it once more: The Roanoke is not another space station, it is an asteroid base that has sole legal claim to the asteroid. The Cyberiad has no holdings on the asteroid unless they renovate the derelict mining base.
  • Like 1

@SomeGuy9283

Alright cool. Only concerns I see are these:

1. Labor camp is not used super often, however science outpost is often used for cults and such.
  2. This would probably have to be something where the roles are only available if the player count is over a certain number to avoid important jobs on the Cyberiad not being filled.

Also, while I like the whole splitting mining, there would have to be a way to make sure that if the player count is below the threshold, mining responsibility to turned back to the Cyberiad. The only thing I don't like about switching mining back and forth, is that it seems that would be be inconsistent from round to round.

Edited by BrandonSacawv

7 minutes ago, BrandonSacawv said:

Alright cool. Only concerns I see are these:

1. Labor camp is not used super often, however science outpost is often used for cults and such.
  2. This would probably have to be something where the roles are only available if the player count is over a certain number to avoid important jobs on the Cyberiad not being filled.

Also, while I like the whole splitting mining, there would have to be a way to make sure that if the player count is below the threshold, mining responsibility to turned back to the Cyberiad. The only thing I don't like about switching mining back and forth, is that it seems that would be be inconsistent from round to round.

In response to your first concern: Less people on the Cyberiad will mean more spaces free of people.

As far as population concerns go: The fact that we have to have an auto-delist feature because we're always pushing 140, 150, or 160 people should be your indicator that we will be well staffed IC for the whole day every day.

1 hour ago, BrandonSacawv said:

Labor camp is not used super often, however science outpost is often used for cults and such.

The science outpost is ONLY used for cult unless there are some people in science who literally just use it for the hell of it cuz they feel bad about it being neglected. Personally any cult round I've been a part of where the base is anywhere on this asteroid consists of 60+ minutes of boredom. It's nearly impossible for sec to deal with a base there  (hence why it's used) so everyone just has to sit back and wait for either the shuttle or slaughter the while the cult slowly does nearly nothing to make the round interesting for anyone but themselves.

...and on a server that is regularly pushing 40+ civilians we could use with what sounds to be about 2 dozen extra jobs.

Edited by ZN23X

Why not axe the mining department from the Cyberiad completely, kill the science, security and mining outposts and make that Z-Level into this station? Assign the extra mining jobs (there's what, 3?) to the Roanoke.

To further segregate the stations they could have a shuttle that only ferries ore back and forth that arrives in the cargo department.

6 minutes ago, Shadeykins said:

Why not axe the mining department from the Cyberiad completely, kill the science, security and mining outposts and make that Z-Level into this station? Assign the extra mining jobs (there's what, 3?) to the Roanoke.

To further segregate the stations they could have a shuttle that only ferries ore back and forth that arrives in the cargo department.

If there is anyone I have not gotten through to yet: this is What I'm suggesting. Although, there will probably be more like miners or so, since there will be more to mine.

I really love the idea. One thought I had was possibly make two different "policing" forces on the colony. A peacekeeper force would be just like what you said, they make sure everyone follows the regulation and deals with inter-crew fights. The other force would be a small squad of marines sent to keep the colony from being overrun. Their main job is to protect the miners and clear out any area just littered with hostile creatures, but their jurisdiction does not extend into the colony, unless something drastic was to happen, IE a nuke team over-reached into the colony, or the Federal Marshal asks them to assist. This also means they have no stun weaponry at all. This could also be coupled with a more hostile asteroid and random events, such as nests appearing, specific to the Roanoke.

Also, I think that since it would be a colony, some variety in equipment like space suits would be nice. Such as being able to use/buy suits from different companies, such as rig suits from NT, an armored softsuit from Gorlex Marauder (syndicate), a heavy plated space suit from the russians, ext. 

But overall, I think this would be great implemented as is.

4 hours ago, SomeGuy9283 said:

If there is anyone I have not gotten through to yet: this is What I'm suggesting. Although, there will probably be more like miners or so, since there will be more to mine.

Yep, just didn't realize the scope. I figured you'd have it on another Z-Level entirely.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use