OOC setting "disable during round"

Anticept

Title. When toggling prefs, I would LOVE an option that disables OOC during the round, but enables pre and post round.

Edit: client preference, not global.

Edited by Anticept
  • Like 1

I'd like this if it's not a pain in the ass to implement...but I already manually do this so not a huge deal if it doesn't come to be.

10 hours ago, Fox McCloud said:

We already have this; it's been around for a couple of years now; it's just and administrative decision whether or not it should be enabled.

Client side preference. Not global.

--snip, see reply two posts down for reply to birdtalon--

Edited by Anticept

4 hours ago, Birdtalon said:

There's already a Preference which toggles OOC. I'm not sure I see the reason to have an automatic toggle to save you two clicks.

By the time I need to toggle it, things will have already scrolled by. I already have a dozen things I need to remember to do at the start of rounds, I really don't need more.

Why does it matter to you anyways about a convenience option? Your reply has contributed nothing to the conversation, and the way you wrote that is very presumptuous.

Also, this forum software is acting really funky when trying to work with two quote boxes in a single reply, and later doing edits. I can't seem to put two in a post without them both changing to fox's reply, yet attributing to birdtalon. Fucking shitty WYSIWYG editors....

Edited by Anticept

I have contributed to the conversation by disagreeing that it's something we need. Just because you disagree with it doesn't invalidate my opinion. It matters to me because someone has to add the feature in and their time could be better spend elsewhere as I manage perfectly fine to click the Toggle OOC button when I want to turn OOC on or off.

To save me presuming further then pray inform me of all these things that you need to do at the start of rounds to prevent you from clicking a button as I am genuinely interested.

I agree with Anticept. It's not about saving two clicks, but rather about the cognitive overhead of having to remember to toggle and untoggle every time. That's something that can easily be forgotten.

And just as quickly remembered when you see OOC in your chat feed.

I do think it would be nice to have as a pref, along with things like character specific auto-accent that lasts between rounds.

I'd be more psyched about antag preferences varying from toon to toon. Turning OOC on and off is easy. I might be in the minority here but I have specific toons I queue for specific roles...and I don't queue for antag with all of them so it's annoying to have to go into preferences any time I switch toons to toggle antags on and off

6 hours ago, Birdtalon said:

I have contributed to the conversation by disagreeing that it's something we need. Just because you disagree with it doesn't invalidate my opinion. It matters to me because someone has to add the feature in and their time could be better spend elsewhere as I manage perfectly fine to click the Toggle OOC button when I want to turn OOC on or off.

To save me presuming further then pray inform me of all these things that you need to do at the start of rounds to prevent you from clicking a button as I am genuinely interested.

I don't have an issue with you disagreeing. What I have an issue with is how you went about it. You could have left it at "I'm not sure I see the reason to have an automatic toggle", and I would have answered much differently. However, you added the rest of that phrase, "to save two clicks". That was snide, and presumed I was trying to save two clicks. That made your reply sound less about your position, and more about assuming my reasons for suggesting. That's why I called you out and said you're not contributing anything. I apologize for jumping on you if it isn't what you intended, but it was rude, and basically you implied that I am lazy.

Also, presumptuous doesn't always mean to presume, it also means to act cocky.

That said, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. My list of things I need to remember to do at round start:

Check to make sure settings and job prefs are configured correctly (sometimes I forget if I changed them).

Toggle off antag prefs if I'm not in the mood for antag.

Toggle back on certain antag prefs after round start.

The above is simple enough, but often I'm caught up in pre-round chat and can miss it sometimes so I end up rushing into prefs and forgetting to turn off OOC.

Check the manifest so I know who I am dealing with.

Hurry to my job setup tasks. Especially as CE, requests for things come in almost immediately from mechanic, job transfers, brig phys asking for materials, etc etc. Some of them are even annoyingly persistent and I have to deal with them, all the while juggling the rest. Job setup for me is very PROACTIVE and takes 10-15 minutes while I make sure the engine is set up correctly (it is the ultimate failure of a CE that an engine escapes containment at the start of the shift. The engine is their PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY), find out who needs help learning and answering questions that often get asked right off the bat, getting materials stored in the engie cart, getting wire colors and reporting to command and the rest of engineering, organizing my packs, and handing out any job duties that need be done. Taking my job seriously is how I enjoy SS13.

During all this, I'm only half paying attention to chat. People who play with me know that I get super focused, and somehow I end up tuning out chat especially if it's scrolling like crazy. I don't even realize I'm doing it even when I AM using the chat. That said, if OOC is silent, then suddenly lights up mid round while I'm in the middle of a task, I'll miss a bunch of stuff.

That said, when the round ends, I forget that it's off often enough too. Especially when playing around the dead hours, things are silent even with OOC on.

Flat out honest: I don't work well with the kind of chat byond has. I can't put my finger on it. But it's a headache to read and follow. That's why i LOVE the job titles scripts. The coloring does a LOT more than just show me titles, but it also helps get my attention. But OOC is next to useless during the round, and I'd love to have it auto-off.

Edited by Anticept

I was just pointing out that the time is saves is two clicks; not saying that you are lazy, so I'm not sure why you took as that. That is a fact, one click to toggle OOC off and one to toggle it on again. If you'd rather not have to make those clicks then fine, that's just a personal thing.

Misunderstandings happen (and as above with tayswift's reply, I wasn't the only one that read it that way). While I'm usually one of the first people to call someone out if I think they are over the line, I'll also be the first to insert foot in mouth where it's my mistake, and therefore, I'm sorry that I jumped on you.

That said, and getting off topic: as much as it's the responsibility of the offended to "get over it," it's the responsibility of the speaker to convey only their meaning of their message, and nothing more. Miscommunication can result in more than just a few ruffled feathers!

Edited by Anticept

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use