Bring back the name rule

Doukan

Ah, this is true; I suppose this forum topic wouldn't exist if the nice approach was effective at all.

'Tis a sad day when one prioritizes a tiny bit of humor over the happiness of those around them.

If we do have a rule against names referencing characters or people, or anything like that, make sure Fox McCloud is not an exception. If there's one single valid point against Fox that's been raised, it's that. He shouldn't be above the rules.

If we do have a rule against names referencing characters or people, or anything like that, make sure Fox McCloud is not an exception. If there's one single valid point against Fox that's been raised, it's that. He shouldn't be above the rules.

Yep, he of course wouldn't be an exception.

However he is also likely the one that'll stop it from happening.

I have the rule, and the wording:

"Character's names referencing people real and fictional make them as valid to kill as cluwnes"

Trial by fire.

Novus Lem references a real person - I really don't like the idea of a rule that bans the names of a bunch of the very first characters ever on the server.

I wouldn't want to be the admin fielding the ahelps of "Jaden Jackson references both Jaden Smith AND Michael Jackson so can I kill him?!!?!?".

As for "people real and fictional" - does that mean I can reference fictional and real non-people, such as AI's, robots, animals, and companies?

And when it comes down to referencing fictional people - where do you draw the line? Movies? Video games? Books? Fan Fiction?

we were talking about naming rules before, and agreed best solution was to limit names to ones without IRL fame.

At the same point you can name your character "Farrokh Bulsara" and I doubt many will recognize who it actually is

Best idea is to mock such characters ICly, either making rp level higher, or bringing soulcrushing meme-misery on their minds

Here's three addendums that we could attach to the name rule to limit this sort of thing:

Character names cannot reference their species. For example, "Hugh Man", the Human, "Lee Zard", the Unathi, or references to felines or canines, in Tajaran and Vulpkanin respectively, are not acceptable. Plasmamen, slime people, and IPCs are exempt from this rule.
Names should contain a first and last name if the character is Human, Skrell, Vulpkanin, or other species where it fits their naming conventions. Dionae should be named after abstract ideas, events, or natural phenomenon.
Names pulled from fiction[ie, literature, video games, movies, TV shows] should be avoided if the are too obvious or would disrupt roleplay. If you think it's obscure/harmless enough, Ahelp it

We can implement all, a few, or none of them. Feel free to change the wording or think of alternatives.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use