Discussion: Limiting firelocks opening to crowbars/AI's

MarkvA

So a lot of people have been wanting the game to be more deadly/unforgiving and less hugboxy. One of the ways we could achieve this is by making it so you can only open a firelock with a crowbar (or by asking an AI/robot to open it). This means that if you get stuck inside of a room with a raging plasma fire you'll die instead of being able to casually walk out. Most other servers (at least /tg/) have this: attempting to open an airlock with your hands will only have you knock on the airlock.

Just something I was thinking about while working on firelocks, let me know what you think. If there's enough people that like it I'll open a PR.

In my experience, this just makes firelocks more tedious. [spoilertext]As much as I'd love to slam down firelocks on obnoxious greytide as the AI without issue, I don't think this is for the best.[/spoilertext]

Sorry, Mark, but I don't think this is a good idea.

I wholeheartedly support this, as long as the firelocks close faster (IE: outright disabling the ability of people to pull fire alarms and run away) or the fire alarm panels get access restricted.

Otherwise it's just going to be used as an annoyance by clowns rather than something that saves/kills people.

So a lot of people have been wanting the game to be more deadly/unforgiving and less hugboxy. One of the ways we could achieve this is by making it so you can only open a firelock with a crowbar (or by asking an AI/robot to open it). This means that if you get stuck inside of a room with a raging plasma fire you'll die instead of being able to casually walk out. Most other servers (at least /tg/) have this: attempting to open an airlock with your hands will only have you knock on the airlock.

Just something I was thinking about while working on firelocks, let me know what you think. If there's enough people that like it I'll open a PR.

If EMPs will set off and area fire alarm, dropping the doors, allow the invidual affected locks to be opened by a second EMP.

I would personally be in favor of this.

Firelocks, one would think, are there specifically so people DON'T open them with their bare hands and spread a raging fire. Better to lose only three people in Science then two people andn ow have Science and the entire primary hallway hotter then the surface of the sun.

It's more Logical in terms of RP, and it ups the deadliness factor of fires, so tops all around from me.

Crowbars are enough to get and keep for a rainy day anyway, or shouting at the AI.

I'd suggest also that a pAI's door jack also be able to do it, with relative speed.

But that's just me getting off track.

+1 to the idea.

Yes please.

Although maybe make it so they're instantly openable with a crowbar/correct ID but still plyable open with bare hands with a medium delay. I remember the days of old!firelocks well and being trapped in by them while certainly not hugboxy was more than a bit infuriating.

I once lost out my greentext just so I could beat to death someone who opened a firelock in an area I was repairing. This is a pet peeve of mine.

At the very least, atmos should be able to lock them (swipe ID on them?) or the like.

Please, it's super annoying getting the text box "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS WITH THIS FIRELOCK" when you are in combat and accidentally click on one.

The message got removed. Now you get to open it just by clicking, no confirmation.

I still get the message...sometimes. I think when you click on it with an item that's not an ID card or crowbar?

Possibly also when the air alarms are active (rather than just the fire alarm).

Nope...

Very good reasoning, thank you.

At least make it so, only people with the correct "ID" or with a crowbar, can open firelocks...

it's really useful to be able to open firelocks when in need to get out from a dangerous situation.. or close em to fix stuff...

(Sorry for the "Bad Reason" xD, anyway everyone seems to like your suggestion so good luck ;) )

Doukans suggestion a delaynfor opening them by hand would work well, especially if they autoclose soon after.

If only crowbar, then pulling fire alarms randomly would get wayyy more annoying.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use