New Job: Security Dispatcher

Splgrk

I was thinking about how security and (for me) especially warden can be quite stressful at times. The warden has a lot of jobs, though many of them can be neglected or don't take much time.

The warden is responsible for:

Prisoners. This includes dealing with shitlers damaging their cells, serious escape attempts, riots and self harm.

Processing:

The warden will also have to process, search, sentence and imprison most prisoners.

Files:

Most of the time, it seems the warden is the only one ever dealing with files, too. This should be everyone's job, but it isn't.

Evidence:

Shared with the detective, but the warden tosses in confiscated items.

Perma:

A job in itself, sometimes. Moving people there, checking on them occasionally.

The armory:

Both handing out equipment and making sure it isn't stolen.

Radio:

Not an official job, but as the warden, I often also find myself as the radio organizer. Listening to public radio and sec radio, getting people to go to areas, updating files based on accusations, etc.

Cameras:

And if you have time, watching these too wouldn't hurt.

So, how about splitting the warden in two jobs? A warden, mostly responsible for prisoner management, and the Dispatcher, who'd monitor radio and cameras, organize patrols and emergencies and hand out equipment as necessary? Help with files, too? Maybe a job for someone who wants a quieter shift, but still be involved in sec work, facilitating the ground work instead of being part of it.

I don't even think it would be much of a change. The minimum would be adding the job, and maybe a second chair in the warden office.

Many of these jobs are under the purview of the HoS, who all too often is busy running around getting himself kidnapped.

I think Streaky brought up this idea aeons ago, and it's been brought up a few times after that.

If I'll be quite frank, most HOSes are busy playing supercop most of the time, with disciplining and organizing their officers as a side job. There's very few who can be bothered to ever check the files.

This is basically what the Warden should be doing when not dealing with brigged crew, not playing HoS's secretary/stand in. If the HoS and rest of security are doing their jobs, warden is a breeze even on the most chaotic rounds.

What security officers SHOULD be doing is

a) Updating sec records when they set an arrest status so the crime can easily reviewed.

Or b) radioing back to the warden what the hell is going on and what someone did to warrant an arrest. Doing this of course makes you lazy as shit since being able to set the arrest status and verbally informing the warden means you had the time to punch the records in anyways with your HUD.

90% of my wasted time during Warden rounds are spent trying to figure out why a person was dragged into my brig cuffed without the slightest bit of contraband on them, no arrest record and usually fuming mad at me because I was never even notified they were dragged into processing. Keeping track of the detective is another huge time sink, as they often go off and die in maint somewhere, meaning their ID card and headset fall into antag hands making the Warden's job even harder. Just this weekend I had the same detective die FOUR times in a shift after specifically telling them not to leave the brig unless summoned as they were obviously being targetted. Getting the HoS to do their job and direct security, or even just follow space law, is also a huge hurdle since the HoS always wants to fuck off and do nothing of value for sec, or quite often attempts to beat people to death over minor issues.And thats if I'm not forced to take over HoS duties without his access or command channel to better coordinate with the other heads. (And for the personal note, the Warden is the last person who take over for the HoS in the same manner that the HoS is the last person who should take over as Captain, their job is too damned important to the well being of the crew to let someone who isn't prepared to step in and fuck shit up.)

I believe the point of the suggestion is that most sec officers and the HoS DON'T do this stuff, leading to the warden having to do everything. This "middle man" job, as it were, would make people's lives easier during those situations. It would prove boring if you're in a round where sec officers and the HoS aren't shit, but you could also say that about jobs such as the IAA and Magistrate (which costs 30 karma, btw). Also consider that someone who was interested in the security role could jump into this job (or the brig physician, but BP requires medical knowledge, which not all people have) in order to get a bit more familiar with the brig and the processes without jumping immediately into security officer or Warden.

As everyone else is saying OP is pretty much just describing the warden's job minus actually managing prisoners.

Literally all this would be doing would be adding a not!warden, which would just be unnecessary bloat IMO.

Buffing IAA's to have brig secretarial responsibilities however, that would be more sensible.

I do wish there were better tools at security to coordinate efforts of the officers/secborgs.

A tracker map would go a long way.

Also, sec computer should be able to filter on non-normal statuses, so that warden can see all with "wanted" status and thus pick up on incomplete arrest orders.

And the security records should be traceable with a change log, showing who set what. Maybe swipe your ID on the sec glasses to achieve it so that status changes had your ID.

If the secborgs aren't on the available camera feeds at security, then they should.

If all those were in place, I think it would be easier to see if there really is a need for somebody to be a dedicated dispatcher. Or maybe the HoS would take a greater interest in the desk part of the job if the tools were in place.

But, even then, the HoS could always demand one of the officers to grab the front desk.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

I sorta like this idea because properly updated sec records are the difference between sec running smoothly and not. Though I feel like it's the responsibility of everyone in Sec to make sure this is being done. 

I think maybe the brig doc could play a larger role to help keep the brig running smoothly. What is stopping the brig doc from making sure prisoners are in thier cells safely or sitting at the front desk updating records? (aside from lack of robustness...which isn't exclusive to brig docs)

What about possibly opening a second warden slot when populations are super high? I know there would be an intergalactic battle for who gets the gloves, but larger populations might benefit from more than one warden.

Might need to start a whole new thread on that in general. What jobs need to be duplicated at peak populations?

Edited by ZN23X

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use