Removing admin the powers to send players to websites by pm

Holyass

In short it can end badly even if they only send players to real https websites that they think are safe, due to Malvertising.

Malvertising involves injecting malicious or malware-laden advertisements into legitimate online advertising networks and webpages. Online advertisements provide a solid platform for spreading malware because significant effort is put into them in order to attract users and sell or advertise the product. Because advertising content can be inserted into high-profile and reputable websites, malvertising provides malefactors an opportunity to push their attacks to web users who might not otherwise see the ads, due to firewalls, more safety precautions, or the like. Malvertising is "attractive to attackers because they 'can be easily spread across a large number of legitimate websites without directly compromising those websites'."

For context, I did a fake admin PM using global-narrate, and played a bwoink message. Instead of a link to respond, it was a link to a youtube video. To my knowledge, youtube has strict advertising policy to ensure this does not happen, and I never intend to give anyone a virus.

I, once again, apologize for the practical joke, but removing an important feature for administrative dealings is a bad idea. With this, how would we link to the wiki, or direct people to server websites, or such. Not to mention, the server already has links to several other websites, even without adminhelp. Take, for example, the donate button, changelog github button, wiki button, and forum button.

For one you can just send them the link to them, and not forcing them to go there, even tho it's a practical joke, I can quote on my self.

"they can be easily spread across a large number of legitimate websites without directly compromising those websites"

in short I want a yes or no pop up say if i want to go this website or not and if yes then sure then it go there, but if no then it do not then, as a safeguard if you guy do not want to remove this.

@ DayZ Me Trolling take a look at this news post and then look at the date, http://www.cyberdefensemagazine.com/hun ... -campaign/

It was only a three month ago so it's real man it

Edited by Guest

You know what would really save you? (Something the rest of us use) is a good anti-virus program, and Malware-bytes, and then all your fears would go away.

but i'm not deaf, blind or stupid, but think of the stupid people and kids that don't want set up and run a good anti-virus program, and Malware-bytes....

UH? oh wait, i cant hear you from your wall of stupidity, or in layman's terms foolishness, denseness, brainlessness, ignorance, dull-wittedness.

I dont usually post in forums, having said that my 2 cents as spectator of this: so an admin posts a JOKE making everyone believe they were bwoinked and then...well...one or more players start going full inquisitor paranoic stating the youtube page was riddled with "viruses", the drama carried to OOC to the point the admin had to apologize unfairly (very profesional and smart from him to do so to cut the drama), but this asking to NERF admin power is like....too much for a simple joke?

i dont know the rest of the people but a bit too far to make a suggestion about this, like chill dude, the guy did one joke

Thats why i said in my 2nd post to give a yes or no pop up if they do not want to remove this.

But Kluys I love this server and i know that the admins are kind in heart and not willing to harm it's player base but you cant count on others, Hell the other day a car crash HEAD on in front of my house due to he want to pass the car in front of him but not take a look on the other side of the road, ram into other car head on, I'm just saying that people can be very very stupid sometimes.

Edited by Guest

You know what would really save you? (Something the rest of us use) is a good anti-virus program, and Malware-bytes, and then all your fears would go away.

but i'm not deaf, blind or stupid, but think of the stupid people and kids that don't want set up and run a good anti-virus program, and Malware-bytes....

UH? oh wait, i cant hear you from your wall of stupidity, or in layman's terms foolishness, denseness, brainlessness, ignorance, dull-wittedness.

I don't personally insult you, so how about you show the same respect and don't either? You come at an admin because he sends a link and you put on your tin foil hat and say it'll be injected with malware, reality check here, as Kluys said, if you can't trust admins to not send you virus filled links, then you probably cannot trust them with anything.

Well i did not mean to sound like that i was insulting you but you need to think more about others.

and i'm sorry if i did insult you.

But what i said is true, I don't want, by accident something bad happen and giving the server or it's admins a bad rep.

A easy yes or no pop up will not make the admins at fault if something bad happens.

It's just I know of this 1st hand, I had a repeat customer that keep coming back to me to remove viruses off their computer and laptop, and i made at least 1000$ off her before she learn to stop clicking on ads at random even tho i put a good anti-virus program, and Malware-bytes on their computer, I even had to nuke their c drive at one point due to ransomware and install a new OS for her

Edited by Guest

Look I know that this might seem iffy to some but... there are a lot of ways for an admin to be malicious which is why we go through the process of picking people who don't show maliciousness at all. as I was just told if someone wanted to they could attach something malicious to an .ogg file and just globally play it.

As for the issue as far as I hear it is not possible to make a prompt because the box allows code or something.

It's fine to discuss this by all means, I'm just stating beforehand that there isn't an easy solution to the problem. atleast not one that is going to be implemented any time soon. it might help shed some light on security issues and ethics though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use