Cyberiad as independent station

Farya

I got a crazy but probably interesting idea for Para.

What if we would make Cyberiad not a science station belonging to Nanotrasen but independent private station in possession of some rich man?

Captain would be a station owner here, who owns the station and houses people here for profit. His power would depends from his diplomacy skills and amount of money in his wallet.

Security here would be a private security team hired by station owner to maintain his order. HoS is that team boss and commander. Captain is just a men who pays their company and nothing more.

Medical would be a private medical clinic on board the station. CMO is owner of it and ultimate boss of medical personel.

Research is a private science facility here with RD being a real director who work with funds. Or maybe just a bunch of independent bright minds with RD being their rich benefactor. Anyway - they need to do real science and useful stuff to keep working.

QM and his cargonians are private logistics firm. They order and ship goods for money.

Engineering are are hired repair team.

Bartender and chief are shop owners on board the station.

Assistants, clown and other greyshirts are just inhabitants of the station. They can lend rooms or just be hobos.

The main role of NT would be given to Solgov who overwatch the station with its representative - station is situated in Solgov space and is under its jurisdiction.

Nanotrasen can send their liaison to make deals with station inhabitants.

Syndicate as well. And station is free to communicate and deal with Syndicate here. However NT would hardly be impressed... Solgov may have different opinion depending from situation.

ERT is also different. During emergency station owner can send distress beacon - you will never know who will respond to it. Maybe Solgov would send a team of marines or riot police team. Maybe mercenary team would offer their services. Maybe some random bunch of people will arrive to loot the station. Or Syndicate team will arrive to sieze the station to use it as forward base of operations. If station owner in good term with NT he would get a professional rescue team arriving - but it would costs alot.

Edited by Guest

This makes me imagine something similar to privatized prisons--companies manage it and retain profits, but they're mere contractors who can have their contract removed.

This would also open up a deeper economic system. No more cargo points, BUY cargo with MONEY. Pay people with adjustable wages. Finally give use to departmental budgeting.

However, all heads still need to be under captain, able to be terminated, etc. or else our well oiled machine falls apart.

This makes me imagine something similar to privatized prisons--companies manage it and retain profits, but they're mere contractors who can have their contract removed.

This would also open up a deeper economic system. No more cargo points, BUY cargo with MONEY. Pay people with adjustable wages. Finally give use to departmental budgeting.

However, all heads still need to be under captain, able to be terminated, etc. or else our well oiled machine falls apart.

Station owner may express his disamusement by perfomance of any private company working as department. And he have money that would be a problem. People dont want to lose their contracts so it would be possible that if HoS is an idiot the rest of contractors would stuncuff him and choose someone as their new leader.

I think this is a great idea. It not only opens up new random events, but also lets some of the systems become fully realized, such as the already mentioned economy system. In addition, this is kinda of how the station more or less runs anyway. NT only interferes with the emergency shuttle, ERT, and when admins want to. A much more reasonable explanation is a hands off government that only interferes when it has to, or want to, not a corporation that is only trying to make as much profit as possible without interference. It also does help wave some lore, such as research having to research weapons that are common to NT forces. Maybe more game modes could also come from this, such as NT and syndicate reps coming to the station with briefcases filled to the brim with money to try and convince or bribe as many departments as possible and have strike team in wait if talks break down. And in terms of role playing, people could be sympathetic to any cause they want, after all, both NT and the syndicate have their legitimate and shady sides.

Station owner may express his disamusement by perfomance of any private company working as department. And he have money that would be a problem. People dont want to lose their contracts so it would be possible that if HoS is an idiot the rest of contractors would stuncuff him and choose someone as their new leader.

That would never happen.

Opening up these 'no authority' situations is just bad.

CE starts turning off gravity.

"Turn it on"

"You aren't my boss!"

What do you do then? Fire all of engineering?

Make it all under the same umbrella. Similar hierarchy as we have currently, except no more NT.

This could go somewhere, as it stands the captain is a bit of a lame duck since nobody likes being told what to do with all the departments being run as little fiefdoms and all the real decisions being made by CC anyway.

Have him be an "independent contractor" with a list of obligations (stuff like complete x tech level and ship it over in return for x, nothing too serious just a mini-incentive to actually work) so they actually have a mandate to interfere, then they'd be personally responsible for managing things and we'd finally have a cure for bridge-captainitis.

I find this to be a very interesting idea, and I quite like it. Money would need to become of more importance, more in-depth overall. Any NT Icons or descriptions would need to be replaced with whatever the 'rich man' wants it to be, from his name or to the stations name. Overall it seems more than doable, it just depends if the community would be on board with sort of project or not.

This should be a separate game mode, probably replacing nations

It's too far reaching for a gamemode. It'd allow us a lot of mechanics from Goon like cargo needing money, payroll, and departmental budgeting.

This would essentially be the economic update, with some other aesthetic and mechanical changes.

e: also captain should be more of a station manager than the owner, since admins will never give up der final autoritah.

This would need a lot of fluff text changes, new spess law (oh boy, I can hear Tully screaming already), new SoP (No dreams, only tears now Tully.), removal of fax machines (Yeah, take the last joy from the broken Tully), no ERT

This would need a lot of fluff text changes, new spess law (oh boy, I can hear Tully screaming already), new SoP (No dreams, only tears now Tully.), removal of fax machines (Yeah, take the last joy from the broken Tully), no ERT

- Spesslaw rewrite is easy, I could probably whip up a basic one.

- SoP largely remains the same, just edited to fit new spess law and environment

- Fax machines to go investors, or maybe SolGov instead of CC

- ERT are Solgov marines or some kind of PMC force

Faxes remains and would much more fun. There would be much more destinations. Solgov, Nanotrasen, some other corporations. Realpolitik as it is. And reworked IAA would be like diplomats.

ERT would be very variable: solgov military, Nanotrasen ERT, Syndicate operatives(if you ever ally with them), mercenaries, vox raiders(might be friendly or traitorous) etc. And spess russians. Everything is better with them.

+ an entire lore rewrite, which is already happening I mean, but. NT is referenced pretty heavily both thematically and within the new lore that's been written so far.

Not to mention massive wiki edits.

NT could still have constructed the station/constructed most equipment and software onboard, perhaps? It's as good an excuse as any to keep the logo plastered everywhere.

A major change like this could be as good way to freshen up the server and provide a reason for some of the older players who've left over the last few months to come back.

NT could still have constructed the station/constructed most equipment and software onboard, perhaps? It's as good an excuse as any to keep the logo plastered everywhere.

A major change like this could be as good way to freshen up the server and provide a reason for some of the older players who've left over the last few months to come back.

NT software etc perhaps.

- Spesslaw rewrite is easy, I could probably whip up a basic one.

I. Fucking. Dare you.

To prove that statement correct.

Kay

I'll post it here in a few hours when I get home.

Does it even need to be rewritten? From the wiki's space laws, it looks like most if not all laws would carry over, only really EoC and mutiny would need some re-writing. Contraband might need an update too, but to include NT equipment as well.

Edit: It looks like what sdtwbaj wrote bellow me is about what I was thinking.

Edited by Guest

Alright, let's consider Space Law for a moment.

Minor Crimes - Generally the same.

Medium Crimes - Rewording of Rioting, modifying creating a workplace hazard (addressed below)

"Participation in mass aggressive or malicious actions as part of a protest. Peaceful protests do not apply to rioting."

Major Crimes - Here's where it gets tricky.

Possession of Contraband - modifying any reference to Syndicate or EoC, defining contraband more directly.

"Possessing or using items which are a) protected items, such as Vault contents, or Head of Staff items like the blueprints or b) known hostile entity objects. such as Cult equipment, unapproved implants, or weapons. Crew who report or turn in contraband are exempt from this law."

Kidnapping of an Officer - modification

To hold a member of Command, Security or any SolGov/Investor VIP under duress, against their will.

Assault of an Officer - modification

To use excessive physical force against a Department Head, Magistrate, SolGov/Investor VIP, or member of Security without the apparent intent to kill them.

Sabotage - Removed (see bwlow)

Major Trespass - Removed (see below)

B&E of a Restricted Area - Removed, integrated with B&E.

Now, I removed some, let's go over why I did that.

If the Station is to come under SolGov authority, there's no longer going to be any station-specific or Corporate-specific laws, instead this will be replaced by the Internal Affairs offenses, governed primarily by the Law department, which has its abilities expanded on.

The system of this would be things such as employment terminations or demotions, fines, equipment confiscations, or downright termination, which may also confine the subject to the permabrig if the situation deems it necessary.

Crimes will remain mostly the same, except now you aren't being jailed for 20 minutes for breaking into a restricted area--you're just being jailed for breaking and entering, with the 'restricted area' part managed by the Law team, and the captain or HoP required to approve actions like demotion or termination. I can't think of any full and proper punishment details right now, but I'm sure they'll come if they're needed.

If you wanted a full barebones rewrite, fuck you (unless this is a real thing, in which case sounds !!FUN!!)

Then we need to consider how much of a pain in the ass all this would be and how little it would add to anything

I could see how it's a lot of grunt work, modifying flavor texts etc.

I think the biggest changes would be, in no particular order...

- Economy

We can port 95% of this from Goon, but since the station is going to become a government-jurisdiction thing, and not NT, there's going to need to be more cashflow and less magic supply shuttle.

- Law

Since it's a government station, space law will have to be edited to remove Corporate-specific things, instead left to a company HR or Internal Affairs department to handle those corporate-specific inquiries

- Atmosphere (not atmospherics)

The station as a whole will need to take on the 'independent' vibe. Less NT things, less propaganda, more of a fresh look, as it were.

The way I see it, if a coder ever took upon the challenge, this would be similar to nations in terms of gamemode, completely up to admins discretion and out of rotation gamemode. In this way it would still be something different to do once in a while without changing anything else. Of course it would be much harder to implement then nations, I still think the idea has merit.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use