Cargo Improvement Write-up

Yinseng

You just put the paper back inside the crate, or any crate for that matter. Also I want to believe it doesn't matter what stamp you stick on it. It's very lazy. And why are you arguing against the paper being the only thing telling you who and where a crate goes? That's more work on the tech's part and should stay. Remember, you also have the request forum that you should have approved and filed away.

Expanding on this idea, make it so each department that requests a crate has a stamp they can use and have the paper checked for the correct stamp.

As for the automation argument, I LIKE mulebots, they help make things work a little more smoothly and act as extra hands. What I dislike is the mailing system. I'd rather get rid of that for sending crates or anything for that matter. Just let it be disposals or fun slides that everyone uses them for.

I say keep crates being wrappable, it makes them look nicer. Also give only the QM power over mulebots and none of the techs permission

I think you're attempting to solve the wrong problems.

The reason cargo is boring to play is that most rounds, they get barely any requests. The only requests I see regularly are metal/glass, and viro crates. No virologist? They might not get any requests the whole shift. Nobody likes manning a desk for two hours that nobody visits.

IMHO, the first step to improving cargo is creating a reason to import/export more things.

Sci:

Having science able to export disks with tech levels for points is a good start. Ideally, they should also be able to import items that they can deconstruct for levels, or import hard-to-find materials/blueprints/whatever to make more things.

Eng:

It would be neat if there was an item that, like the RCD, allows you to deconstruct things, but stores the mass value of whatever you decon inside it. With enough things deconstructed (ie: eng deconning a fair bit of one of the derelicts) that could be packaged into a mass block and shipped off for points.

Conversely, it would also be neat if eng had neat supplies they could order for large-scale construction projects - making major modifications more common.

Sec:

As for security, it would be neat if they could order some kind of test kit to be used on dangerous alien foes (changelings, shadowlings, etc). When used successfully, the results could be sent back to CC for cargo points. The station doesn't just need to produce physical things. Intel is valuable too.

Conversely, it would be great if security had reason to order things from cargo. For example, if there were ready-to-use (ie: filled!) chemical implant kits, or advanced security tools they could order if they had the need, and points.

Civil:

It would be neat if there were more options for supply crates that helped out the civil sector. Botanists sometimes get seeds, but most other civil jobs don't seem to have much in the way of helpful crates they can order.

Conversely, it would be neat if other jobs could make 'kits' of items that could be sent back to CC for points. E.g: librarian could print off 10 books, crate them up, and that could count for something (CC does not have all of Cyberiad's books). Or perhaps the botanist could send back samples of advanced plants that are the result of research.

If cargo was more useful, and had more stuff to do, it wouldn't matter if you used mules/mail/whatnot. They'd be kept busy regardless.

Making paperwork extra-complicated, IMHO, serves nobody. Many people (myself included) despise paperwork as it is.

Frankly, I don't think that the QM, or cargo in general, should be ordering a bunch of supplies "just in case" they are useful later.

When cargo orders crates to "reserve for later", they're probably bored. We should address the root of the problem - that cargo does not have enough useful things to do - rather than encouraging them to create extra work for themselves which probably isn't useful.

I completely agree with tzo's post. as I've said before, there is no point changing up cargo if there are no requests. however I still like the change of being able to reattach the paper back on the crate, maybe with duct tape? the rest is just trying to spread the tiny amount of work they get across the entire round and that just won't make an interesting job.

Or perhaps the botanist could send back samples of advanced plants that are the result of research.

I'd like to point out that this is already a thing. Looking at the Guide to Plants some plants have a listed "rarity" value which is the point value they're worth if sent back to CentCom on the supply shuttle. I haven't actually done it myself but mass-producing something like Ambrosia Deus should be a pretty nice way to rack up supply points.

The problem with Cargo isn't Cargo itself but the other departments... As stated above the departments are too self sufficient to get outside supplies (from cargo) because they can make everything on their own. [spoiler2]I remember rounds when robotics actually went and ordered boards for their mechs... nowadays it's "let's just wait 5 minutes so R&D could get the tech for us"[/spoiler2] and that leads to no requests for supplies which leads to bored cargo techs.

Additionally have you seen what cargo has to offer? Shit... absolute add ons to whatever department they're supposed to go/be (with a few exceptions like virus crates, glass, metal and maybe beekeeper pack).

The only thing we need to change is our in game schedule to go to cargo and order stuff... doesn't matter just order something.

hey bud you don't gotta remove a feature just b/c it doesn't fit your playstyle, if you like non-automated delivery just call a crate and tell them you'll deliver it yourself.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use