Vox as playable

Sirhelgate

Now hear me out, Vox are a fine race to play, but there needs to be nitrogen somewhere on station for them to get to, ike a few tanks and tank refillers.

Now having these, and one nitrogen tank and vox mask spawn in with a vox player, and what ever other starting gear, makes it so a vox is a playable option, on other servers I carry two nitrogen tanks and never run out through most of the game

If i remember from Abby's server, the problem wasn't the lack of N2, but the fact Vox are viewed as thieves and other un-nice things, stuff NanoTrans wouldn't have on their station in the first place.

I second this, they are normally not picked up by NanoTrasen because of the fact that they are mostly frowned upon and are just flat out unreliable.

They also laugh at humans for the lack of trees, kekekekekekekkeek

If that' the general consensus. but then again -who- ISN'T a thief xD

After all isn't nano-trans al about promoting a labor force and upright individuals from down troughten societies? In theory it would be possibel that nanotransen would allow a handful of vox, the rascism against them would merely be another thing to rp. On one station there is an open vox race, and there are interesting racial conflicts, it gets funny when the raiders show up, because we see the splintering of the vox. After all there are plenty of nomadic vox families(civis), just as many as there are pirates.... also with the racial diversity of the vox the station could in theory support it's own grove, even if it is a small atrium.

I know I'm being a bit stubborn, but it would bring abit more racial tension to the roleplay, especially if things start to turn up missing!

The main difficulty here is that it's your role that defines starting gear, not race. If we could, Vox would get N2, DIona lanterns, and mod kits for everyone else.

IC Wise, the vox that would work for NT are not only treeless, but would be exiles/refugees from their clan and family, and rare indeed.

Hey Nec, how about just making every job spawn with Nitrogen and oxygen tanks with vox and normal masks in the "Box" in your bag when you first spawn in. Then its easy to chuck like 90% of people do with it anyway, and also the other races have everything they need. Put a lamp in there for Dionas as well.

so it went from starting with - hey lets put vox in, to- hey if we put vox in we can have constant situational support, since vox need nitro they can never be poisoned from the air, well unless their lose their mask, and despite it being rare not everyone is going to jump on the vox boat the second it opens up, if they do it'd be a laugh or two

There could be a small room, close to engineering, where the FEW vox invited could refill their tanks. Or they could ask for an engineer to give them/fill for them.

The racial discussions about the Vox would be so much fun. I play mostly as a tajaran, and i love when someone calls him a cat, because the character hates it. It's a great chance for a good roleplay.

Latest atmos update that I added allows scrubbers to filter out O2, and there are now presets, including some for the Vox. So yes, there COULD be an airlocked, N2 filled Vox room somewhere on the station where they could chillax and refill their tanks in peace.

There could be a small room, close to engineering, where the FEW vox invited could refill their tanks. Or they could ask for an engineer to give them/fill for them.

The racial discussions about the Vox would be so much fun. I play mostly as a tajaran, and i love when someone calls him a cat, because the character hates it. It's a great chance for a good roleplay.

I removed Vox because we have Vox Raiders. Nec go into code and goto species.dm or something like that :3 then change there breathe type to oxygen

I removed Vox because we have Vox Raiders. Nec go into code and goto species.dm or something like that :3 then change there breathe type to oxygen

wop wop, abby out of nothing :P

And for the Breathe type, it would kind of ruin RP and lore, as removing the N-tank from a vox is just an easy way to kill him if there is a heist round.

I'd like this as well, Although it seems a more difficult race to be due to the need for N2 gasses And honestly they are the only playable race besides Xenomorphs that aren't selectable. Most of the times the Vox are around are as traders anyway, Nanotransen would likely drop the "Shoot on sight" Relations and perhaps grow to form a alliance with them. I can honestly see them joining ships to mine and get their hands on *shiny* diamonds. Skrell have a peaceful relationship although they see them as a bit of an irritant, and the Tajaran have had little to no contact with them. The number of those to races have had to had built up in Nanotransen over the years since they gained rights in the workforce. And likely the Shoot policy would dissolve due to the various races up in command. The Uthani would probably be a bit pissed about it though, due to struggling relationships with them.

A small number of Vox (one or two?) could start as crew members. Like the NT Rep, their job would be watch the station, but to see if the humans are ready/want peaceful cooperation instead of the "VOX! SHOOT!". Basically birdiplomats.

Got it?

Bird. Diplomats.

Badum tss.

Doable? Maybe, but will we do it? That is what this thread is about.

In my opinion, vox should only be available as vox raiders, as in the gamemode, simply because of their special internal needs and background.

A new gamemode type for vox has been added "Trading". That means you're twice as likely to see Vox as usual (as long as there's enough players readied up). I have no intention of allowing Vox to become regular crewmembers in the short-term, however other alien types ARE under consideration.

One of the constraints of adding new alien races is that to be able to wear ANY kind of clothing, they have to be humanoid-shaped. Or to be able to carry/use any kind of item, their hands/appendages must end where human hands end.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to re-open the issue of playable Vox with a change of situation. Zomgponies has written a script that allows races unable to wear shoes to start off with sandals. In theory, one could use a variant of this coding to have races in need of nitrogen tanks to start with them directly from the start. In a similar way, races with particular needs may be implementable with starting gear catered to said needs, rather than suffocate in a corner of the station.

Discuss.