Kill this thread

ProperPants

If the RD wants/needs rubber gloves he can always get them,either from tech storage maintenance cargo or engineering (nobody says no to a head of staff), and they often do, pretty much every RD I see has a pair within 10 minutes of round start.

Having them start off with them would be too easy I say, especially considering how they're meant to be engineering's special item (they sure do guard them like they are), that and the only legitimate use for them would be hacking stuff (either to fix or break, that's something only engineering/rouge personnel should be doing anyway), it'd just make science even more self sufficient.

May as well give the HoS combat gloves.

Yeah, no fuck giving RD or HoS insults/combat gloves. AI needs SOME way to dissuade or contain crew who may be rogue (or a rogue AI), if half the station gets insuls, particularly two of the greatest threats to a malf AI, then the AI has no way to stop them. Shocking doors is on of the most reliably ways of keeping the HoS at bay if he's got it in mind to laser your core, and bolting doors can at least keep the RD out of his office to lock down your borgs, RD can get the gloves from tech storage but there is at least some competition with many CEs/Engineers grabbing them just to keep robotics or someone else from getting a pair.

I'm kinda whatever on RD gloves - I wasn't expecting much agreement.

But why shouldn't HoS have combat gloves? I don't know what they are, but I assume they're gloves with some armor. The person in charge of security, who has to deal with dangerous combat situations, deserves a little armor IMO. Unless maybe armor doesn't work how I think it does, and armor on one piece of clothing applies to the whole body. In that case, maybe HoS shouldn't have them. But if HoS doesn't have them, I assume nobody in Security does, in which case, who does have access to combat gloves?

I'm kinda whatever on RD gloves - I wasn't expecting much agreement.

But why shouldn't HoS have combat gloves? I don't know what they are, but I assume they're gloves with some armor. The person in charge of security, who has to deal with dangerous combat situations, deserves a little armor IMO. Unless maybe armor doesn't work how I think it does, and armor on one piece of clothing applies to the whole body. In that case, maybe HoS shouldn't have them. But if HoS doesn't have them, I assume nobody in Security does, in which case, who does have access to combat gloves?

They're black gloves with shock resistance, the BS starts with the only pair on station (which is itself a bit of a conflict over whether or not he should have them), nuke ops also spawn wearing them and a pair come with the syndie toolbox.

I like to think of them as power armour under-padding, which is pretty much what they are :P

I don't enough enough about RD to comment. However, with regards to HoS and combat gloves:

If the blueshield has them it more than makes sense for the HoS to have them. That aside, the balance discussion is more questionable. The HoS starts the round with the access to acquire insulated gloves (but they look fucking stupid with his gear), so it's arguably a QoL change. The only entity likely to weaponize electricity is the AI, and the HoS is actually the second-worst equipped head to deal with a malf AI already. The HoS is supposed to be the station's hardest crewmember to kill, so giving them a further edge isn't exactly a huge jump.

That being said, the more shock resist is handed out, the less useful it becomes. If anything, I'd trade the blueshield's gloves for the HoS getting them (with the side effect or reinforcing that the blueshield isn't a big deal and shouldn't act like they are).

I play too much HoS to give a fair response on this, but trying to be as objective as possible I'd still support the switch in the owner of the combat gloves.

You can easily get Insuls from cargo, if it's absolutly nesscary. As a round start item thats a far bit to ask, as the RD SHOULDN'T be doing the engineers work of door repair, machine tampering and what not. Infact the only thing they would want to use them for is the Autolathe, and you can ask an Engineer to do it.

The most this will do is make an RD even more of a nightmare for a Malf AI.

Technically speaking, the RD doesn't need the gloves for anything that's in his area of expertise or legal. Still, they are easily obtainable from the tech storage or by bothering anyone with access to either cargo or engineering. I don't really see the point in making that change.

The combat gloves for the HoS don't seem like that much of a buff, though. A bit of bling would be nice to see for those hardworking murderers men of duty, I guess.

I don't enough enough about RD to comment. However, with regards to HoS and combat gloves:

If the blueshield has them it more than makes sense for the HoS to have them. That aside, the balance discussion is more questionable. The HoS starts the round with the access to acquire insulated gloves (but they look fucking stupid with his gear), so it's arguably a QoL change. The only entity likely to weaponize electricity is the AI, and the HoS is actually the second-worst equipped head to deal with a malf AI already. The HoS is supposed to be the station's hardest crewmember to kill, so giving them a further edge isn't exactly a huge jump.

That being said, the more shock resist is handed out, the less useful it becomes. If anything, I'd trade the blueshield's gloves for the HoS getting them (with the side effect or reinforcing that the blueshield isn't a big deal and shouldn't act like they are).

I play too much HoS to give a fair response on this, but trying to be as objective as possible I'd still support the switch in the owner of the combat gloves.

I'd be happier if they were ERT/Syndicate only, they're combat gloves afterall, not something mall cops/ex military personal bodyguard is going to be wearing on a research station, at that rate the captain's gloves may as well be shock resistant as well since everyone else's is.

That's just the muh immursion side though, in terms of balance it makes an already tough cookie even tougher, the HoS spawns in with the best personel protective gear on station (that dermal cap yo), access to a whole bunch of weapons, and a mini-horde of personal minions, he doesn't need more buffs IMO.

The blueshield is (officially) just supposed to run around getting the heads out of danger, that's why they have stuff like the health HuD glasses and medkit, they're meant to be an auxiliary to sec, albeit an elite one, hence the special gun/beret/shock resistance, they're expected to go running into situations that need that stuff, the HoS as a commander and head of staff less so (even though most people play them as judge dredd on steroids).

Really it's bad enough the BS has them as is, they're already AI-proof with all their gear and the only way to counter them is a gang of borgs or the ever underused doorcrush... but that's a bit visible.

Technically speaking, the RD doesn't need the gloves for anything that's in his area of expertise or legal. Still, they are easily obtainable from the tech storage or by bothering anyone with access to either cargo or engineering. I don't really see the point in making that change.

The combat gloves for the HoS don't seem like that much of a buff, though. A bit of bling would be nice to see for those hardworking murderers men of duty, I guess.

As far as bling goes they spawn in with black gloves, the only cool gloves there are :P

I wouldn't mind seeing combat gloves as an orderable item though, maybe stick them in the riot crate?

at that rate the captain's gloves may as well be shock resistant as well since everyone else's is.

They already are...

I wouldn't mind seeing combat gloves as an orderable item though, maybe stick them in the riot crate?

No, I think that's a bad idea. This would make sec order this every single shift as it offers a straight up upgrade over the normal gloves. I'd rather not see any ever than have those be orderable.

AI-proof

That's actually a very good point. Making the HoS another person for a milf to take down because of the gloves might impact the gamemode severely. I think it's best we stay the way we are then.

They already are...

They are?

aw snap, first I've heard of it, have they always been or was I just unlucky that one time I played captain like 2 years ago? :P

I'm pretty sure I've seen people wearing the cap's fancy gloves get shocked before though, I'll have to have look.

That's actually a very good point. Making the HoS another person for a milf to take down because of the gloves might impact the gamemode severely. I think it's best we stay the way we are then.

They're already a prime target because of their armoury access/head status, I certainly concur.

No, I think that's a bad idea. This would make sec order this every single shift as it offers a straight up upgrade over the normal gloves. I'd rather not see any ever than have those be orderable.

You might overestimate sec's desire for stuff, there's so many things they can get from cargo but usually it's only ever tried either when a particularly gimmicky HoS want's everyone in nazi uniforms or if they need a tonne of barricades for whatever reason.

All the same, insulated gloves have their own crate already, wouldn't be anything they couldn't already have if they set their minds to it, merely a thought.

HoS is already the most armed and dangerous person aboard, there is no need for him to have any better gear than he already has. What's the matter if BS has better gloves, he lacks in other things.

Also can't RD just order some insulated gloves, it atleast gives cargo sumthin to do.

HoS is SUPPOSED to be the most armed/defended person aboard, and has the means to get insulated gloves already. It's really not a big deal either way, but I see a pretty big gap in logic to give the Blueshield, who isn't even sec, the most combat-ready pair of gloves on the station, whilst the HoS gets standard ones.

HoS is SUPPOSED to be the most armed/defended person aboard, and has the means to get insulated gloves already. It's really not a big deal either way, but I see a pretty big gap in logic to give the Blueshield, who isn't even sec, the most combat-ready pair of gloves on the station, whilst the HoS gets standard ones.

Blueshield's job is supposed to be ultimate body guard. Protect all the heads, including the HoS, though he's usually a lower priority as he's the most equipped to protect himself. Still one of the Blueshield's charges. HoS isn't supposed to spawn an unstoppable super soldier, he's supposed to manage sec and have access to a lot of weapons for arming the station in times of crisis. Blueshield is supposed to be generally combat ready, even in Code Green, so he has special gloves to handle whatever situation he has to go through in order to keep the heads alive to keep order. Security, and by extension the HoS, is supposed to be ready for minor crimes on these levels, and when they need insulated gloves for a threat to get them instead of start with them.

Tl:dr; Blueshield gets gloves because he isn't sec.

IIRC blueshields got combat gloves because I thought they sounded cool and match the uniform etc.

Then I found out later they were insulated. I figured it might help them hack their way into a place a head is locked in?

tl;dr don't assume there's a good reason behind such things.

As for the RD - I don't see anything actually in their job requiring it. Giving it to them is 1 less person trying to get a hold of the holy yellow gloves, which I personally like the scarcity of. If we were to ever really have an economy, it'd be backed by the yellow-glove-standard.

. . .

The RD has access to tech storage last I checked (as do roboticists).

Tech Storage has two pairs of insulated gloves.

What is this thread, even.

Also, I'm 90% positive the Captain's gloves aren't shock proof (or maybe I just keep forgetting to wear them whenever I'm cap).

. . .

Also, I'm 90% positive the Captain's gloves aren't shock proof (or maybe I just keep forgetting to wear them whenever I'm cap).

I am 110% certain Cap Gloves are shockproof. Any time I see a cap wearing yellow gloves I slap him. Cap Gloves are just combat gloves with a different sprite. If I could be arsed to look into the code I'd link it.

If I could be arsed to look into the code I'd link it.

I did it for you. Didn't read it though so no idea if you're correct or not

/obj/item/clothing/gloves/color/yellow

desc = "These gloves will protect the wearer from electric shock."

name = "insulated gloves"

icon_state = "yellow"

item_state = "ygloves"

siemens_coefficient = 0

permeability_coefficient = 0.05

item_color="yellow"

power

var/next_shock = 0

/obj/item/clothing/gloves/color/black

desc = "These gloves are fire-resistant."

name = "black gloves"

icon_state = "black"

item_state = "bgloves"

item_color="brown"

cold_protection = HANDS

min_cold_protection_temperature = GLOVES_MIN_TEMP_PROTECT

heat_protection = HANDS

max_heat_protection_temperature = GLOVES_MAX_TEMP_PROTECT

hos

item_color = "hosred" //Exists for washing machines. Is not different from black gloves in any way.

ce

item_color = "chief" //Exists for washing machines. Is not different from black gloves in any way.

thief

pickpocket = 1

/obj/item/clothing/gloves/combat

desc = "These tactical gloves are somewhat fire and impact resistant."

name = "combat gloves"

icon_state = "black"

item_state = "swat_gl"

siemens_coefficient = 0

strip_delay = 80

cold_protection = HANDS

heat_protection = HANDS

/obj/item/clothing/gloves/color/captain

desc = "Regal blue gloves, with a nice gold trim. Swanky."

name = "captain's gloves"

icon_state = "captain"

item_state = "egloves"

item_color = "captain"

siemens_coefficient = 0

cold_protection = HANDS

heat_protection = HANDS

strip_delay = 60

siemens_coefficient = 0 means its shock proof, cold and heat protection prevent you from burning yourself by grabbing items that are hot or cold (lightbulbs mostly), aside from the color the only thing that makes Combat Gloves and Captian Gloves different is the strip delay.

Edit: Add black gloves just so people could see the differences.

They're shock proof---their simens_coefficient var is set to 0....as David demonstrated.

They're shock proof---their simens_coefficient var is set to 0....as David demonstrated.

Then I'm totally forgetting to wear them 100% of the time.

Keep in mind I'm the engineer who wires the engine and sets it all up real fast, but then winds up forgetting to put their gloves on because they're in such a rush and ends up shocking themselves every shift, 7 minutes in when they try to wire backup power.

rip

But yeah, as I said before - pretty sure the RD gets access to tech storage which haves gloves making this whole shpeel a little moot.

Might as well give the RD all-access, you know because a competent person would be playing RD and wouldn't abuse the privilege.

If your sarcasm was more biting, we'd have to have a "Warning: Dog Sarcasm" sign.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use