Idea for x-ray gun nerf in blob rounds

Cupcakes_n_Hacksaws

I understand x-ray guns are meant to really shine during blob rounds, but once they're achieved it's basically an instant GG for the crew. As a blob, there is absolutely nothing you can do to combat it. I suggest that xray-guns aren't able to pierce strong blob tiles; this way the blob can actually reinforce their important structures as a way to both combat against xrays, and so that the crew can't just point and click in the general direction of the core to cause GG. They'd still be able to severely weaken the blob by being able to shoot through any unprotected tiles, so they can still wreak havoc on an unprepared blob, or maybe flank from a direction that's not reinforced.

As it stands, with xrays being able to shoot right at their core, the very heart of the blob from far out of the blob's sight, along with their ungodly amount of shots per charged gun, blob rounds are basically a race to either expand enough to win as blob, or for mining to get materials and return. Hell, with things as is, spawning as blob in science and destroying the RnD center is a perfectly legitimate and good strategy

I understand x-ray guns are meant to really shine during blob rounds, but once they're achieved it's basically an instant GG for the crew. As a blob, there is absolutely nothing you can do to combat it. I suggest that xray-guns aren't able to pierce strong blob tiles; this way the blob can actually reinforce their important structures as a way to both combat against xrays, and so that the crew can't just point and click in the general direction of the core to cause GG. They'd still be able to severely weaken the blob by being able to shoot through any unprotected tiles, so they can still wreak havoc on an unprepared blob, or maybe flank from a direction that's not reinforced.

As it stands, with xrays being able to shoot right at their core, the very heart of the blob from far out of the blob's sight, along with their ungodly amount of shots per charged gun, blob rounds are basically a race to either expand enough to win as blob, or for mining to get materials and return. Hell, with things as is, spawning as blob in science and destroying the RnD center is a perfectly legitimate and good strategy

Well there ya go. Before you pop, destroy everything in RnD.

Honestly after the last few rounds I played where blobs and other nonsense were happening on the station, and Xrays got handed out (admittedly, to non-sec who shouldn't have been given a weapon to begin with) and 2-4 people died each time being no where near the blob, I'd be quite happy to just see X-Rays go away or be changed to a very limited range (7-10 tiles, basically your LOS if you had Xray sight or a little further.)

People just don't fucking think when they use these guns and the collateral damage from xray bolts zapping crew or blowing up fuel tanks halfway across the station is far far worse than what ever the blob did.

This is why you make sure there is a possibility of moving your core to the back of the lines in the future.

That buys you all of 30 seconds while whoever it is in the sec pod whizzes around to find you.

So then you move again...

You can either destroy RnD or move constantly and not have to worry about XRays, or even.... wait for it, split. Quite frankly they don't even do that much damage to your core per shot, you have plenty of time to move. Hell, I'd say you can take around half a minute of XRay shots while saving up chems to move. XRays are strong, but take plenty of time to destroy important blob tiles. One of the most important thing about blob is planning and spacing, if you plan well and space your important tiles well you can manage XRays.

Do xrays cut straight through normal blob tiles? Then how about make strong tiles last a bit longer against them if they don't already? Block the laser until they are destroyed. You could sum it up to the strong blobs are radiation proof to a certain degree

You can either destroy RnD or move constantly and not have to worry about XRays, or even.... wait for it, split. Quite frankly they don't even do that much damage to your core per shot, you have plenty of time to move. Hell, I'd say you can take around half a minute of XRay shots while saving up chems to move. XRays are strong, but take plenty of time to destroy important blob tiles. One of the most important thing about blob is planning and spacing, if you plan well and space your important tiles well you can manage XRays.

Yeah, and you lose all those blob points you needed to spend keeping away the horde of welder wielders from cutting away at you, it's not viable unless you've got a tonne of resource blobs (which will be long gone by the time you're in a position where you have to move around anyway).

That, and going straight for R&D would arguably be power/metagaming (though it's not IMO I guarantee you folks would complain about it), people routinely moan that "single lining blobs" should be banned, and blobs who go straight for the nuke sometimes are banned, taking out R&D isn't much different.

Blob rounds where R&D are competent rarely if ever last more than 30 minutes, the x-rays are a insta-win for the crew and everybody knows it, unless this is working as designed something needs changing.

Yeah, and you lose all those blob points you needed to spend keeping away the horde of welder wielders from cutting away at you, it's not viable unless you've got a tonne of resource blobs (which will be long gone by the time you're in a position where you have to move around anyway).

That, and going straight for R&D would arguably be power/metagaming (though it's not IMO I guarantee you folks would complain about it), people routinely moan that "single lining blobs" should be banned, and blobs who go straight for the nuke sometimes are banned, taking out R&D isn't much different.

Blob rounds where R&D are competent rarely if ever last more than 30 minutes, the x-rays are a insta-win for the crew and everybody knows it, unless this is working as designed something needs changing.

Right, well for simplicity's sake I'm gonna go ahead and say on average two blobs spawn per blob round. I'm also going to say that usually for research to get both materials and research all the way up takes about 25 minutes. Could be quicker or slower, depends. Anywho, blobs take, what, four minutes to burst? Two blobs against normal crew have a serious advantage, and CC probably won't send an ERT until around XRays are completed and the blob has gained some serious footing. That's about 20 minutes of the blob having a serious advantage, and unless one blob is completely ignored it's pretty much guaranteed that the blobs will survive and flourish given they aren't absolutely awful.

I've seen blobs win multiple times when both XRays and ERTs have been called, blob is just a hard antag. Until you know what you're doing I'll agree it's difficult to manage XRays, but they are managable. If you really don't want to deal with XRays, like I said before make it a tactic to take out RnD or block off mining. Unless an admin says otherwise I don't see a problem with it.

Pretty much. Blob rounds basically come down to whether or not x-rays are developed in time, which they usually are if RnD isn't shit.

Or whether or not the blob can be shot from space with an excellent array of six emitters rigged to a PACMAN.

Turbine blobs, here's to you.

Guide to beat blob from SPESS.

1) Grab two sets of cable.

2) Grab 50 metal.

3) Grab 50 rods.

4) Grab an empty duffelbag.

5) Go to secure storage, screwdriver all the emitters, and take their parts and drag the PACMAN from engineering.

6) Go into space, build a platform, and reconstruct all the emitters (est 30-60 seconds)

7) Wire, wrench, and weld the emitters.

8) Turn them on and watch as you horribly murder the blob in about 3 minutes.

8a) Adjust emitters/extend platform as needed.

8b) Get science to upgrade the emitters, to murder the blob in 10 seconds instead. (4x speed emitters, plz)

Everything you need to do this is readily available in engineering, and all in all it takes about 3-4 minutes.

The blob also can't hit you or send minions at you because you're offscreen in space, and those emitters will ruin it's day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use