Give us more karma to spend each round

Cupcakes_n_Hacksaws

rounds typically last 2 hours, so that essentially means once every 2 hours of actual gametime, you're allowed to karma someone. Unless you forget. But what if you did karma someone? Well that means you can't karma anyone else for the rest of the round, no matter how deserving of it they are.

This idea stems from me typically karmaing the first person I see that's doing a pretty good job at whatever it is their role entails, but unfortunately that means I can't bestow karma on anyone else. What if I meet someone else that's even more deserving than the previous? There's nothing I can do about it unfortunately.

Would there be any real harm in increasing the amount of karma we can spend per round? Currently (unless I'm mistaken) there is a total of 440 karma worth of purchases available, so if the worry is that people will be able purchase these rewards faster than you'd like, I don't think they'll run out of things to buy any time soon.

me typically karmaing the first person I see that's doing a pretty good job

I admit to this too and have at times wished to give karma to another person. It may not be bad to give an extra karma to hand out I say. Just one and like NTSAM said keep it from being spent on the same person

As we'd need to effectively double the karma barriers for jobs, I'm not sure if this would solve anything.

There's already too much karma, and too little to spend it on.

As we'd need to effectively double the karma barriers for jobs, I'm not sure if this would solve anything.

too much.

That's funny.

People hardly spend karma anyway.

and no that isn't me not getting any, that's people forgetting to give it out.

COUGHCOUGHmetafriendkarmagroupsCOUGHCOUGH

We need to ensure the end max karma result is small enough to prevent it from being spammed on a few people someone hangs out with and make sure you can't spend it on the same dude multiple times.

Ooooh I know my suggestion is going to be nasty. What if instead of giving extra karma, any karma you do give out is split up in value? Naturally that would mean people get a fraction of a karma point and it could make a massive mess if floating point is possible, but you'll at least giving something to everyone you feel deserves.

Man that sound way less awful in my head

too much.

That's funny.

People hardly spend karma anyway.

and no that isn't me not getting any, that's people forgetting to give it out.

People who've generally been around longer than 4 months are usually drowning in karma with little to actually spend it on as they've already unlocked the things they've wanted.

People hand out karma all the time, it's just generally to people who've saved their ass in medbay.

Double the karma points in circulation, and naturally, it's only logical we'll have to double the price of karma unlocks.

there is 440 karma worth of unlocks currently available, why would you need to increase the cost when the average player probably doesn't even on average get 1 karma every 2 rounds? I like to think I'm a regular here and I've only ever been able to spend 75 in the past 6ish months.

Double the karma points in circulation, and naturally, it's only logical we'll have to double the price of karma unlocks.

there is 440 karma worth of unlocks currently available, why would you need to increase the cost when the average player probably doesn't even on average get 1 karma every 2 rounds? I like to think I'm a regular here and I've only ever been able to spend 75 in the past 6ish months.

It's simple, really...by giving the ability to spend 2 karma per round, as opposed to one, you're effectively doubling the amount of karma in circulation. It doesn't work out to that, exactly, as some people never spend karma, etc---but on the whole, overall, the amount of karma given out is effectively double.

This means that the effective time to unlock karma-thing is now halved as it's much easier to get karma...no longer do you have to be the defining standout of a round to earn karma for a round; just second place will do.

This means that the effective time to unlock karma-thing is now halved as it's much easier to get karma...no longer do you have to be the defining standout of a round to earn karma for a round; just second place will do.

it could be argued that people karma the second place guy first, before stumbling about the even more standoutie person...

not that it matters...For Fox

It's simple, really...by giving the ability to spend 2 karma per round, as opposed to one, you're effectively doubling the amount of karma in circulation. It doesn't work out to that, exactly, as some people never spend karma, etc---but on the whole, overall, the amount of karma given out is effectively double.

You seem to be against both lowering the cost of karma purchases AND changing how karma is acquired. Is it safe to say other than additions to the karma shop, it won't change in the forseeable future then?

This idea stems from me typically karmaing the first person I see that's doing a pretty good job at whatever it is their role entails, but unfortunately that means I can't bestow karma on anyone else. What if I meet someone else that's even more deserving than the previous? There's nothing I can do about it unfortunately.

There is something you can do about it though. You can wait until later in the round to give out your karma. I usually wait until the shuttle leaves the station and then think back over the round and pick a person who really truly stuck out. If the round ends earlier than a shuttle call then the score/reminder popping up usually is your cue to give out karma if you feel someone deserved it.

Ultimately it just seems like people need to think ahead and consider the amount of time remaining in a round before they hand out their karma to the first person that does a thing. Sure, that doctor saved you and the clown was hilarious but you can easily jot down their names in a little text file if you're worried you wont remember them when the round ends. The system isn't the problem.

You seem to be against both lowering the cost of karma purchases AND changing how karma is acquired. Is it safe to say other than additions to the karma shop, it won't change in the forseeable future then?

I'm saying that if we increase the amount of karma you can give out, the the cost of karma unlockables must increase if we're wanting the investment to be the same and the amount of jobs/species at a (relatively) particular level.

That said, this will have a negative impact (just like real life inflation) on the karma "savers"; since all the karma cost have doubled, they've now lost half the "value" of their karma, effectively (we could hypothetically double the amount of karma each player currently has, to compensate though, hypothetically).

You imply there's a karma 'economy' when really there isn't. You don't have to double prices, because no player is getting double karma'd by the same person. And it isn't an economy because there is no circulation, because karma trading between players isn't a thing. This just makes it both more accessible and makes it so that people that do good aren't looked over just because they didn't get there first.

I'm saying that if we increase the amount of karma you can give out, the the cost of karma unlockables must increase if we're wanting the investment to be the same and the amount of jobs/species at a (relatively) particular level.

That said, this will have a negative impact (just like real life inflation) on the karma "savers"; since all the karma cost have doubled, they've now lost half the "value" of their karma, effectively (we could hypothetically double the amount of karma each player currently has, to compensate though, hypothetically).

I see no reason to just NOT increase karma prices... like the guy above me said, it's like you have this idea of a karma economy that needs to be kept stable, when there really isn't. It only unlocks fun things, why do you feel the need to make sure it stays as restricted as it currently is?

If everyone is Mr. McFunguy then nobody is Mr. McFunguy.

Although as long as you can't spend it on the same person twice it would barely do anything at all to the rate at which a single person earns karma so increasing prices is unnecessary.

Why not just give everyone one free Karma to spend, and if you run into multiple people in a round you feel worthy, you can grant them a point of Karma, but it comes from your own pool. You can't award more than one point to a person per round, but if three or four people do exceptional you could reward them all at a cost to yourself. This wouldn't be any change on the current 'karma economy' since only 1 point per player would be generated at most.

I.E. Urist McGreyshirt is saved by medical early in the round, he grants his Karma to the doctor for going above an beyond to save and help him out. Later in the round, Planty McBotanist starts handing out max potency plants that are beneficial to the crew, McGreyshirt decides that such a good player shouldn't go unrewarded and voluntarily spends Karma he earned in previous rounds on McBotanist. McBotanist and McDoctor both gained a point, while McGreyshirt has a net loss of 1 Karma, going into the round with 13 karma and ending with 12.

Honestly in my opinion I feel the karma system needs something to allow everyone to earn karma at an reasonable pace since a lot of unique things in the server are in the karma shop. say, every 5 rounds(maybe less) you would earn 1 karma just from the system meaning you would need to play over 2000 rounds to get everything from the shop and lets be honest nobody wants to play 75 rounds just to get the machine people race, meaning that giving karma is just as important without it being a huge gate from content. plus it will have the side effect of making people want to play more on the server to get what they want sooner.

Weird. I was thinking the other day that you could give players one karma a month when they join the server. Maybe number of rounds isn't a bad idea but I'm going to guess that five rounds won't be enough to make that a thing. It sounds reasonable but you can get five rounds easily in a day if you have no life. Maybe more, like ten or twenty would be more acceptable by the higher ups

I always thought that, if we eventually added job objectives for jobs besides Science and Robotics, that players doing that job should get 1 karma for each objective they complete.

Antags, too, should get 1 karma per objective completed as a reward. That would, for starters, encourage more people to complete their objectives instead of faffing off for a whole round because they don't feel like being an antag.

Awarding people prizes for doing what they should be doing in the first place? No thanks.

Also, this adds an OOC motivation to do stuff, which may or may not be really bad for RP.

Edited by Guest