Nerf Revenant

Cupcakes_n_Hacksaws

Just played alongside a revenant today, and I was disappointed how OP they are. Invisible, phase through walls, attack through walls... I think it'd be fair to ask that revenants should have their speed reduced while they're corporeal, as well as remove their ability to phase while corporeal. It's frustrating how easy it is for them to escape.

As a cult summonable/minion they could be redone to work.

2 or 3 Revenants who feed off souls and raise dead crew as zombies would be an okay mode, their abilities need a pass to fit this, but it could work.

Watching the whole thing, the fact the revenant moves at ghost speed while the rest of the crew is at normal makes it incredibly hard to fight against. We even had Cupcake plan a trap for the revenant and when he caught it mid spell cast, it was stunned for so short a time and moved so fast he couldnt even catch it. Window casting is equally as powerful, since it can EMP the lasers away and keep shocking people to crit. The HoS went down to that.

Watching the whole thing, the fact the revenant moves at ghost speed while the rest of the crew is at normal makes it incredibly hard to fight against. We even had Cupcake plan a trap for the revenant and when he caught it mid spell cast, it was stunned for so short a time and moved so fast he couldnt even catch it. Window casting is equally as powerful, since it can EMP the lasers away and keep shocking people to crit. The HoS went down to that.

Yup, and the problems manifested again at the very end during the shuttle transit, where it was hiding behind a computer monitor where we couldn't interact with it, and it was spamming the shock ability, doing quite a bit of damage to us 5 or 6 or however many were in that room. The thing that pisses me off the most is how being visible doesn't stop it from moving at ghost speed OR its ability to move through walls.

Take this and add onto the fact that salting tiles doesn't stun/reveal it like the wiki says, or how according to the wiki its stuns are supposed to only last 2 or 3 seconds max, but in actuality last around 8 or 10. Had to make a bug report about it, I hope something comes out of it.

As the revenant in said round, yeah, I do feel they need a nerf. Window casting is really, really powerful, as is EMPing the lasers away. The movement speed is really powerful too. I do feel that they should lose the ability to phase through walls and move at ghost speed while corporeal. Some other good nerfs would be to take away window casting, at least in grilles, perhaps making holy water tiles reveal them instead of just keep them from moving through them, and nerf the damn EMP so it doesn't instakill IPCs. I actually stopped myself from several kills because IPCs were in the radius of the EMP and I didn't feel like instakilling them, and a few times I didn't even realize an IPC was around when I did EMP.

Maybe a rev's EMP can be more like "mysterious vibes" instead of straight-up EMP and it'd affect those with mechanical hearts and IPCs only minorly? As in, say, they both only lock up (as in, make unconscious for like 10 seconds or shit) those guys (due to immense pain in the fleshy dude with the mechanical heart and due to a temporary failure in the IPC's systems) to prevent instakills?

I mean, yea, they can still get wasted by the thing but it won't be an insteadeath.

Why do they even have EMP? It's bad enough lings have it (and they abuse the shit out of that too), but a ghost? It should be some poltergeist throwing stuff around the room or causing specific equipment to malfunctiont, not electrical storms like it's a undead Pikachu with a hatred for space stations.

Why do they even have EMP? It's bad enough lings have it (and they abuse the shit out of that too), but a ghost? It should be some poltergeist throwing stuff around the room or causing specific equipment to malfunctiont, not electrical storms like it's a undead Pikachu with a hatred for space stations.

I assume it's because it comes from /tg/, and /tg/ didn't have to account for instakills as you can't get roundstart prosthetics and you can't choose any synthetic species. (at roundstart anyways, and they don't die of EMP when I played around with them on Local.) And actually we did make a PR to remove EMPs from them but it got closed because fox said "I'd recommend implementing TG's latest round of balancing for revenants and we see how that plays out before we consider just removing this ability." We haven't done that yet. For fuck's sake. The last PR made that even TOUCHED revenants only added them to game preferences. That was done exactly ONE month ago, and not anything has been done to balance revenants.

their literal only instakill spell to my knowledge is EMP, give them more instakill spells that effect everyone instead of a small group if you're really wanting to keep that for fuck's sake. If you won't even bother trying to port the balances or work on making the spell less murderkill for those people, then either give them another killing tool and make them what they never were meant to be (a ghostly killing machine) or remove it and turn it back into what it should be, a minor annoyance that sticks around just to pester the crew.

Lings have EMP because they're supposed to be murderers. They're supposed to fuck the situation of the station, they are not just an annoyance.

/tg/'s playerbase is also more robust than ours, and can handle these things a bit better.

Having played revenant twice, I can definitely say that it needs a big nerf. You're literally unkillable.

I'd say that /tg/ has more robust players, but as a whole their playerbase is about as robust as your typical SS13 player, but nothing special. They just allow murderboning and lethal force a lot more than we do here, so most antags have stronger options, i.e. the guardian spirit which exists to murder and promote powergaming. (IIRC Revant gets emp to shock doors and drain e-guns since security carries them around regularly.)

Really, I just want Revs gone/disabled. If we have to keep them they should fall in line with the rules:

6. Play antagonists responsibly:

If you’re selected for an antagonist role, then treat it as an interesting challenge and not an excuse to destroy other peoples’ game experience. Your actions should make the game more fun, more exciting and more enjoyable for everyone. Even or perhaps especially your victims.

Revenants do none of this, and their sole purpose is to kill crew so they can absorb lifeforce from corpses. Nothing about interacting with them is entertaining, they generally lurk around medbay looking for crit victims or people they can quickly dispatch and make a nuisance of themselves without giving anything back. At least swarmers can be a fun challenge to fight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use