Allow Starting Chem Machines to be Upgraded

ProperPants

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/issues/3201

Some chem machines that exist as part of the map in Science and Chemistry are unupgradeable - but only some. There are four sets of a chemical heater, a chem dispenser, and a chem master at round start; the chemical heater can be upgraded while the other two can't. Any scientist can build the exact same machines from scratch and fit those built machines with better parts, allowing them to make more chems (this is the reason I thought it was a bug). Since it's not a bug, I propose that these default pre-existing machines are replaced with the assembled and upgradeable ones.

CODING DIFFICULTY: Minor. I don't know coding, but I can't imagine this is more than a tiny map edit. Eight existing machines are deleted and replaced with assembled/upgradeable machines.

Assuming the unupgradable piece is legit, this seems to be a sensible and simple change.

It is.

Upgraded dispensers can produce acetone, phenol and diethylamine.

Bumping my own thread because I believe this is necessary from a logical standpoint and it doesn't seem difficult to implement. If an admin says stop, I'll stop, but someone please show this to one of the coders.

I'm not sure I counted as an active coder considering I haven't been here in over a year lol. But the email I got from the PM reminded me of the game, and the bug I hit in my first round (monkeys not turning human first time their genes were changed - now fixed) reminded me of the enjoyment of bug hunting :) So as a thank you, I've put in the pull request to address this. Bear in mind that it was a feature request not a bug, so I can't guarantee it will be pulled.

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/3347

Ok, so turns out there's some fundamental differences between the preset ones and the manufactured ones - amount of energy, recharge time, initial chems available etc

I could still make the preset ones upgradable, but it's more work so I'll wait for approval first

That's what we originally wanted.

The preset stationary ones deserve some love from science.

Have you thought about >50 unit pills from potential upgraded chemmasters?

>40 unit patches too would be amazing.

Also, if it's too much work to allow the current ones (Chem Dispensers and Chem Master 3000) to become upgradeable, just replace them with the assembled ones (Portable Chem Dispensers and Chem Master 2999) and give those the most basic parts, like every other machine on station. That way, they might start off weaker, but end up stronger.

It's not that it's too much work... If I didn't enjoy the work I wouldn't have the coder badge ;) I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a reason not to do it - Whilst I used to play chemist a fair bit, I've very rarely played science so wouldn't know if there was another potential problem with gameplay. Fox doesn't see one, so I'll have a look at this on Monday :)

As for increasing the patches/pills, it shouldn't be a problem but I'll have to double check the code to be sure

As for increasing the patches/pills, it shouldn't be a problem but I'll have to double check the code to be sure

The biggest issue IMO is that the buffer in the Chemmaster accepts only 100 units max.

Make it so it is 200 units when it's fully upgraded to accommodate bluespace beakers. Figure out some incremental bonuses.

As for the super-condensed pills, make sure it isn't OP.

5 bonus units per upgrade tier sounds reasonable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use