Blueshield shouldn't have that revolver

Plotron

According to Dave.

This thread was created in response to https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/3139, as the .38 Special rubber bullets are getting a heavy nerf (1/3 dmg, 15 -> 5).

So, why not discuss potential replacements for the revolver here?

Bland option: E-Gun. HoP has one!

Cooler option: Stun Revolver, fits in the shoulder holster. Science can deconstruct it, though.

Old-school option: Shotgun. I heard BS was meant to have one originally. Kinda bulky, doesn't seem better than the revolver in this case.

Your ideas?

Edited by Guest

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laser-eyes, why not.

But for reals I like the idea of a stun revolver. Sure, they could trade it to R&D and go grab a taser or something but I bet most Blueshields won't do that. It's a good nonlethal weapon and it's more likely for them to have something more advanced than the Detective because their job is to protect the command staff. CentCom would equip them with something nice but not over the top.

Personally I really dislike the e-gun due to the disablers seem good on paper, and they kind of are and then again kind of aren't. If you need to do a quick reaction none-lethal stun on someone in closer quarters with more than two people about, it's really hard to land those shots. Then, onto the Stun Revolver, personally that makes no sense unless it replaces the tazer the Blueshield gets, Blueshield should really have lethal power to some extent since they are not always dealing with things that they can stun. I.E: Borgs, mobs, etc. And well, Shotguns are way too big.

I think the best course of action would be to balance the Revolver, or replace it with something similar. :)

If we do end up giving the BS an energy weapon, it'd be wise to place the appropriate charger in his office too.

And I agree that the BS should have some kind of lethal capability available.

The thing is that I'm quite often surprised by antags when they come (nukies, wizards). No time to grab any real guns. All it takes is trigger discipline to use the revolver both as a less-than-lethal and lethal weapon.

You hear a head cry, you run up to them. Use the gun to plow through the assailaints, grab the body and run... now that I think of it, lethal capability isn't important in this case. Unless you're fighting a loose Space Bear or Blob Spores, of course.

Egun is a bulky and silly option. I like the revolver because it can both stun potential assassins and kill space bears and whatnot. A part of BS's job is looking cool and that can't be done with an egun.

Why take it away it if it works?

I also name it Fuzzy the Firearm every time, pls don't take him away...

Once upon a time Blueshields were armed with a shotgun. 4 shots, pump action, with some spare ammo. Unfortunately they were just beanbag shells, but obviously lethals are easy to get as a Blueshield. I thought it was neat, and it made the Blueshield feel like a bulkier bodyguard. I recall fighting off a Ninja with said shotgun, and even holding off a ebow-toting chemist traitor pumped with enough meds to keep him standing up to several shots. I regretted seeing it go, and think it would be great to give the Blueshield something unique to protect people with.

An energy gun is a quick solution, but perhaps something truly unique would be cool. I always thought an interesting thing to give them would be a combination energy/ballistic weapon with a toggle. Something like a rifle with a two shot burst disabler, that can switch to firing sec rifle bullets... or something less snowflakey. I'd be cool with just a riot shotgun, honestly.

A big part of Blue's job is protecting heads in ways that don't involve shooting things though. The bulky shotgun will be too heavy to carry if you want to have a backpack with some basic meds or even a spare oxygen tank.

It would be nice to see some interesting alternative to the revolver, but it should to be compact and unique.

The bulky shotgun will be too heavy to carry if you want to have a backpack with some basic meds or even a spare oxygen tank.

My standard loadout is as follows: medkit, one brute treatment kit and large emergency autoinjector in the bag easy to access, crew monitor in a pocket, health analyzer, cuffs somewhere, a flash, sometimes as a bonus a charcoal bottle with a syringe, 3 .38 Speedloaders somewhere, a Seclite in the pocket, a stunbaton.

Most of the times I don't get my tazer, so here's that.

All the medical equipment is bulky. And it's for emergency treatment, I'm not including any burn/brute patches.

The shotgun is good only for situations where you know what you're facing and have an intent to neutralize some kind of enemy. It's not fit for a combat medic/special ops bodyguard.

There's always an element of surprise to things; blueshield's revolver was very good in this case because you were always prepared to simply drop whatever you were doing and help the people in distress, no matter the nature of the problem.

Edited by Guest

Riot shotguns and other shotguns fit on the blueshield's armor storage slot when wearing the blueshield armor vest/jacket I believe, so that's really a non-issue. I wouldn't dream of replacing the Blueshield's ability to use their backpack. I need at least two medkits when I follow around the idiot Research Directors and suicidal Heads of Security. Something nice to slip on the armor storage slot that can drop people non-lethally, but also having a lethal option is basically what I feel they need.

Riot shotguns and other shotguns fit on the blueshield's armor storage slot when wearing the blueshield armor vest/jacket I believe, so that's really a non-issue

Tell that to my handicapped Plasmaman.

Isn't the literal point of the Blueshield's revovler to combat Nuke Ops? E-swords and E-Shields defect/block tasers, whereas the Revolver is one of three weapons on the entire station Security/Command can use, the others being the shotguns. Revolver more or less is in the Blueshield's hands incase the Ops drop out of now where, such as telepartying the bridge, a fast acting BS could quickly shoot any carrying shields or eswords, grab the captain and book it.

So lets do this then. Give the Blueshield his fancy stun revolver, a shoulder holster, and a revolver with lethal shots. If you got the job of blueshield (RP wise) you are trained to handle a shit ton of different weapons. I think the biggest issue we could run into is that someone takes out the blueshield and has a lethal weapon. But that just adds to the game. And why not trial run this for a week? We do tons of debating when this could be as easy as throwing it into the next patch and removing it in the patch after. Its not going to break the game if we give that post a new toy or two.

*twitches*

280d7fc811.png

and its also sprited in a way that flashlights wont look wonky when attached.

i can also agree with what plotron said

Issue again with that is, you can't replace the Revolver with a pure none-lethal weapon, it just wont work. Blueshield needs to be pack a punch if he needs to, i.e against Mobs, Nukies, etc.

*twitches*

280d7fc811.png

and its also sprited in a way that flashlights wont look wonky when attached.

i can also agree with what plotron said

Issue again with that is, you can't replace the Revolver with a pure none-lethal weapon, it just wont work. Blueshield needs to be pack a punch if he needs to, i.e against Mobs, Nukies, etc.

DOESNT MEAN I CANT RESPRITE IT TO BE RED!

dreams already crushed anyways ;-;

VVV

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/3157

You're all forgetting that blueshield is supposed to be a /bit/ better equipped than your average sec officer. Thats why he originally had a pump shotgun, because it gave him something unique, but he had to either have it on his person or inn his office with the taser to back

him up.

The revolver ranged instastun that can literally floor any antag, regardless of gear, it's not something I'd like more than one of, namely the detective's

It's quite obvious that the blueshield players want to be the retired deathsquad major corporal lieutenant blueshield, but it is way above what they're supposed to be, and I get that a reality check that might nerf it back into what it was supposed to can sting, but it was bound to happen

I just want to state I'd be fine with BS getting his own, unique revolver or weapon, but I'd prefer it stay Less-Lethal. It's not supposed to be a stun gun, he has a taser, but it's not supposed to be a Lethal weapon, it's something he can pop one or two shots off at high-threat hostile to protect a VIP. Making this an Energy weapon removes part of the point of the weapon, allowing Traitors and Ops with E-Swords and E-Shields to deflect the weapon with impunity, where as the Revolver aimed at the arm or leg will likely break a bone, limiting their movement or ability to fully wield their arsenal.

Blueshield doesn't kill people, just removes the threat long enough to get his clients to safety, it's security's Job to nullify threats.

As for anyone who thinks their Blueshield is some retired spec ops or death squad. Kek, at best you're character would be a wash out (I.E. didn't qualify) ERT member who was given a post on a 'low priority' station as a consolation prize.

I don't see the point of this thread at all. Not once was there a legitimate reason for the revolver being removed stated, aside from a potential alternative looking cooler.

The gun is perfect for what Blue has to do, just as davidchan said. An egun isn't going to help much unless Blue wants to just murder people, while a fancy stun gun won't help against most NPC threats. The revolver is the perfect middle ground and while the solution of having to have both a taser and a revolver is pretty ugly, IT WORKS WELL AND REMAINS OPTIONAL.

If you really feel Blue should get something cool give him a HoSgun that looks like a revolver OR EVEN GIVE HIM BOTH THAT AND THE REVOLVER AND LET HIM CHOOSE.

/revolverrant

I actually have to agree with Flat up here for once. For a while I have heard complaints about the revolver, from the instant stun (before instant stun was universal), to the fact it's ballistic. I wasn't aware that it did 15 damage per shot now, but I also don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. As many have said, it gives the less-lethal option to the Blueshield, while still having lethality if used as such. Compared to the non-lethal security guard, if referring to at least their initial equipment, less-lethal is probably a good thing; if someone is coming after heads, they probably intend to do serious damage and have serious equipment.

When I play Blueshield, the revolver gets tucked into the holster, and my primary weapon is the taser. Why? Because the revolver has limited ammunition, I see it as an emergency weapon. Nuke/traitor/high-threat antag approaching? Pull the revolver and pop a shot while evacuating your VIPs, then call out the threat for Security. Those that use the revolver first off strike me as... off. Again, limited rounds (even if more can be made, good luck getting Cargo to do that), and now the damage it can cause. Good against actual threats, not good for the greytide that is just toolboxing the Captain because "lol imma griff u".

In short: I think the Blueshield is fine, and people are making an issue of something that really isn't that major.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use