Adding Vox Raiders/Traders as side-antags.

davidchan

So, Heist is one of the rarest modes we have, down there with meteor and nations (which are generally hated), despite being one of the more entertaining round types and rich with RP opportunities.

Why not make Vox Traders spawn in other rounds too? This is not a request to remove Heist as a game mode, or alter it in anyway

During Traitor/Changeling/Malf/Cult or even Nuke rounds, a party of 5 Vox bouncing about doing their own thing would add to the chaos a bit, and give the a crew a third party that may unreliably help or hinder them during the round. Plus it would give an interesting new playstyle if the Vox kidnap target might very well be an antag and give Security an alternative to the death sentence, or even give that robust vampire something else to look out for if it becomes know the Vox brought the stakes and are looking to drag him/her home in the coffin.

The only issues I can see are Skipjack/Nuke Ops shuttles attempting to occupy the same area, though I believe they have separate landing zones anyways, and how to handle round ends, as side antags they shouldn't be able to trigger a round end by leaving the station (though they could barter with crew for safe passage out if the station is about to be destroyed by nukes/malf)

It's important to note that side antags are not 100% guaranteed to spawn. While some rounds should have a higher chance (such as nations or extended-traitor) it shouldn't be exceeding commmon, but something that can be thrown into the mix to keep things interesting from time to time.

100% agreement from me.

This is the kind of chaos I like to see in a round, not a bunch of people running around fucking over other players for shits and giggles.

I'm on board with this idea. I know the OP specifically indicated that this would be able to exist alongside the pre-existing Heist gamemode, but personally, I'd go as far as to support removing Heist and implementing this as an alternative, were that possible. The big grievances I keep hearing repeated about Heist mode is that it often results in RP that gets derailed by a sudden helping of validhunting, and/or a RP dynamic that generally only includes the heads of staff - and tends not to involve the rest of the crew as much. Having them appear alongside other antags would mean that they'd spice up the round without completely overshadowing whatever else has occurred during the round. On top of this, having the vox arrive in the middle of a round that includes other antags will make their objectives slightly easier, as sec's attention would be divided between the raiders' activities and other antags.

Good thing about Vox is that while they usually do have some questionable end-goals, they never have objectives that include outright assassination or large-scale destruction. Their limited arsenal prevents them from wreaking too much havoc or posing too much of a threat on their own, which is better suited for this.

The big grievances I keep hearing repeated about Heist mode is that it often results in RP that gets derailed by a sudden helping of validhunting, and/or a RP dynamic that generally only includes the heads of staff - and tends not to involve the rest of the crew as much.

I definitely heard about a round the other day where the Vox traders (as they came in peacefully rather than attempting a raid) were allowed onto the bridge to speak with the Captain. They didn't even bring weapons as an act of goodwill. The Captain (or someone) let in a security team that then wiped out the Vox.

When I had a Vox trader round last week we had completely nonviolent objectives and successfully traded for everything. I, as the Quill, wanted to hang out on the Cyberiad and let the round run it's course, maybe get into some mischief with the crew and such, but every single other Vox wanted to split so I didn't argue. On rounds that end early when the antag is dealt with I feel bad because most of the crew is hard at work mining or doing R&D or something equally time-consuming and I'd prefer to let them enjoy the fruits of their labor, you know? I had the same thing with my wiznerd round the other day. I went in peaceful, did some trading, made a deal with the Captain, and was going to hang out in Science and use the staff of change on people who really wanted to be turned into something else. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way, but oh well.

The big grievances I keep hearing repeated about Heist mode is that it often results in RP that gets derailed by a sudden helping of validhunting, and/or a RP dynamic that generally only includes the heads of staff - and tends not to involve the rest of the crew as much.

I definitely heard about a round the other day where the Vox traders (as they came in peacefully rather than attempting a raid) were allowed onto the bridge to speak with the Captain. They didn't even bring weapons as an act of goodwill. The Captain (or someone) let in a security team that then wiped out the Vox.

When I had a Vox trader round last week we had completely nonviolent objectives and successfully traded for everything. I, as the Quill, wanted to hang out on the Cyberiad and let the round run it's course, maybe get into some mischief with the crew and such, but every single other Vox wanted to split so I didn't argue. On rounds that end early when the antag is dealt with I feel bad because most of the crew is hard at work mining or doing R&D or something equally time-consuming and I'd prefer to let them enjoy the fruits of their labor, you know? I had the same thing with my wiznerd round the other day. I went in peaceful, did some trading, made a deal with the Captain, and was going to hang out in Science and use the staff of change on people who really wanted to be turned into something else. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way, but oh well.

What had occurred this round was a comdom Captain came and left without saying anything, the HoP was busy faxing asspics, the RD wasn't responding to comms and the HoS was fed up with it all. Then a new (equally comdom) Captain came on, and all the Vox were on the bridge. Myself, SHIP and the HoS were all there, as the Vox all pulled out their weapons to the ready and had reloadable cartridges in the other hand.

Instead of standing there waiting to clearly get wrecked by Vox, I popped a flashbang and we arrested them all before shipping them back to their skipjack.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use