Sexual Harassment in Space Law

Nakhi

This cropped up as part of a discussion on my part, and inspired mostly by the constant, every round phenomenon of "x crewmember's ass is nominal", and the AI usually playing along with it. While I don't want to be "that guy", the one that says we should constantly have higher RP, I would think if sexual assault is a crime (and server bannable), than the constant sexual remarks that come up, in AI laws and in the course of insulting people (or creepily flirting with people), sexual harassment should be at least a minor crime.

I'd base it on the fact that, you know, it's an offense that, in a real workplace, could result in termination of employment. Before everyone jumps on the SS13 =/= RL bandwagon, I doubt a massive corporation would tolerate it for too long either. After all, it's supposed to be a professional research station. Supposed to be. And yes, I know such a law would only add a larger workload to Security, which is why it would, ideally, be for consistent, aggravating cases.

Discuss, if anyone sees fit to, I suppose.

I don't see why not to be honest.

The worst I see happening is sec arresting someone for just non-ERPly hanging with their IC gee eff every round or whatever but that can be avoided with some clear guidelines on what constitutes sexual harassment and if we define it well enough (not saying people should be complimenting their ic partner's tits or anything, I'm actually really heavily against that, but it's more about the fact that simple compliments are going to come off as a full on rape to like at least one unnamed shitcurian.)

You forgot to mention ass inspections. AI love to go nuts over those.

I've been tempted a few times to file complaints on the most outlandish ones that just go ass day ass day woop woop for THE ENTIRE SHIFT and are basically just shy of abusing the vox system, if I'm entirely honest. I'm perfectly fine with someone going along with a joke/playing out a law, but an AI that's first words are ass inspections in medbay, and continuing to talk about ass inspections in medbay, despite no law forcing it to do so, should have some retribution for just driving a joke into the ground ooc, and harassing the crew IC. A few times, I have acted overly indignant and tried to shut the AI down for not shutting the fuck up. Regardless, as to the topic of the thread, I agree this could be implemented, as previously stated, make it quite and totally clear, space law does not need a loophole in every law.

Ass inspections are SS13 memey at this point, and nobody ever actually goes to get them - it's just a dumb household joke.

We should not start punishing players/job banning them on the basis that they said "ass inspection".

Someone being overtly and distinctly crude will get looked at by admins, this isn't necessary.

Vox Announcer is annoying and spam should be handled, but it's by no means a big deal.

I wasn't saying they should get into trouble purely because they said 'ass is nominal' stuff.

I'm saying it because the law gets uploaded multiple rounds, to multiple AIs, by (I'm pretty sure) multiple people.

It's funny once. Not a hundred times.

I wasn't saying they should get into trouble purely because they said 'ass is nominal' stuff.

I'm saying it because the law gets uploaded multiple rounds, to multiple AIs, by (I'm pretty sure) multiple people.

It's funny once. Not a hundred times.

Agreed, I'm more addressing the OP than anything.

Slippery slope.

Ass inspections are SS13 memey at this point, and nobody ever actually goes to get them - it's just a dumb household joke.

We should not start punishing players/job banning them on the basis that they said "ass inspection".

Someone being overtly and distinctly crude will get looked at by admins, this isn't necessary.

Vox Announcer is annoying and spam should be handled, but it's by no means a big deal.

I'm not referring specifically to those, it's just what helped bring up the thought. By that happening every round, you would think a corporation would buckle down on such treatment. As for admin intervention, maybe for once we could lighten the workload on the staff by adding a law? I mean, sure, really bad stuff would still be looked at, but there's been times the sexual harassment isn't rule breaking, but still helps break down a department or even the command staff if it hits that level.

This is largely just some thoughts that went through, as I could see ways the law would be useful, but I agree it can be a slippery slope in some ways. However if implemented and well explained, it could be used to, at least, curb some of the shittier, non-rule breaking behavior.

Or maybe I am making it out to be bigger than it really is because I am not sure either way.

I'm not referring specifically to those, it's just what helped bring up the thought. By that happening every round, you would think a corporation would buckle down on such treatment. As for admin intervention, maybe for once we could lighten the workload on the staff by adding a law? I mean, sure, really bad stuff would still be looked at, but there's been times the sexual harassment isn't rule breaking, but still helps break down a department or even the command staff if it hits that level.

This is largely just some thoughts that went through, as I could see ways the law would be useful, but I agree it can be a slippery slope in some ways. However if implemented and well explained, it could be used to, at least, curb some of the shittier, non-rule breaking behavior.

Or maybe I am making it out to be bigger than it really is because I am not sure either way.

I'm unsure how giving security more ways and reasons to heedlessly arrest and brig people would lighten the workload for staff.

It not only ties up security's time with things that are relatively trivial (because if it's serious then you should just ahelp it), but it removes players from play for a specific period (the time it takes to brig and release them) thus making the workload of their coworkers greater.

Ass day woop woop, Ass day woop woop, Ass day woop woop Ass day woop woop, Ass day woop woop, Ass day woop woop Ass day woop woop, Ass day woop woop, Ass day woop woopAss day woop woop, Ass day woop woop, Ass day woop woopAss day woop woop, Ass day woop woop, Ass day woop woop. Attention all crew, report to the bar for ass inspection

What you guys are forgetting ia that AI vox spam is already a bannable offense.

And changing the AI laws to shitty ones like that is as well. After all the person doing so isn't playing the role they've chosen.

Thing Is I've never seen complaints about this until now.

Report it ingame and we will talk to the player doing it, if they dont stop well then we all know where that is heading.

This doesn't warrant a special section in Space Law, it is a very recent thing thats been happening and I urge you to adminhelp it.