Label common area equipment

Habalabam

This relates to this thread:

http://nanotrasen.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6612

"Hoarding. Tools. Illegal or not?"

This may be a real hassle to the map coders, but I would really like the tools, equipment in the common area, to be tagged. Owner ("Engineering") and place ("Aft Port Solar maintenance").

It would indicate to the players that the item is traceable and that questions may be asked. Even when the item is indirectly acquired (second hand).

It would also be easier for station personell to put items back in their place. And maybe it would encourage more use of labelers.

And maybe it would encourage people to actually purchase stuff from Cargo so that it could be labeled as personal possession.

I doubt anyone would really care about labeling, to be honest. If they want tools, they will get tools, they will keep tools. No one will care as they can make tools when the normal supplies are dried up.

And like I said in the other thread, I'd not want an IPC to get arrested/pinned down in the middle of the hallway for questioning JUST for taking stuff that's basically bruise and burn patches for theirselves, no matter where it's from, just because MUH THIEFZ. In fact, I don't want anyone to be arrested just for taking a wrench from Engineering when they just need to move some shit around/disassemble something they accidentally placed because it just leads to unneeded drama with fort-builders.

And I would know, as I'm commonly both of these things at once :S

If security searches you, it's an easy no-bs, no-deniability, no I-thought-it-had-no-owner case.

Petty theft is, per space law, defined as

"To take items from areas one does not have authority to access or to take items belonging to others or the station as a whole."

Today it is practically not possible to enforce. This would at least make it possible to raise the issue. And to restore stuff to its location if it is found in the hallway.

"Keeping items which are in short supply where they belong is what is important here. A doctor who takes all the surgical tools and hides them still commits theft, even though he had access."

-Space Law notes on Petty theft.

I don't think tools are in short supply.

At all.

You can literally take a breath in maint, turn on your PDA light and you're bound to find some kind of tool, be it a toolbox or a wirecutter or whatever.

You can build tools super easily.

Engineering, the department that needs tools the most, can vend them-- They have 10000 closets and tool vendors.

And I refuse to get arrested for taking the vacant toolbox's welding tool and cable coil when that thing was left in the fucking hallway. I fucking refuse. Keep your shit secure and keep it in your workspace or don't keep it at all, your choice, it's not that hard to do even if you can't have Space Law at your side.

The only tool I would see appropriate to be labeled would probably be Insulated Gloves, as you can actually do some damage with those and they -are- in short supply and it -would- make sense for them to be filed under Petty Theft.

But I fucking despise the idea of getting arrested over having a tool some chucklefuck left out in the open, I fucking despise it with a passion. If I need to I will write a whole page's worth of whining about how stupid it is, I just need the permission, oohhhhh booooy.

The only toolbox placed between two fire doors is potentially in very short supply.

You don't get any "shorter" than that.

Likewise with any empty fire extinguisher cabinet near a fire.

If you want an item, you RP (maybe by merely asking) in cargo or engineering or you buy one. If you do grab one or "find" one in the hallway and you ignore the label on it, then it's on you.

As I said, I doubt security will care. But if you do get in trouble for it, then neither the you as a player nor your avatar can claim deniability. It will also be an indication to the greytide.

Maybe you should calm down before posting more? I think you made your feelings about it clear.

This is not an actual problem, and you're the only one making it out to be.

Correct.

My 5 cents:

Label Brig gear (especially armory) when you're the warden.

Label your personal belongings in case the antag decides to use your gear.

If you care about it, label it.

From a realism point, I don't even think irl ships label every single goddamn tool onboard with their exact location of origin. Toolboxes? I can see that. But why the fuck would they label each individual tool?

Multiply the amount of tools by like 10 and you've got a lot of tools to label.

If anything, I'd say it makes the RP feel shitty, it implies NanoTrasen is a bunch of cheap cucks in their lore but they manage to spare the time and money of labeling god-knows-how-many tools.

It also sounds like literally the most OCD fueled thing in SS13 since... I dunno.

EDIT: I've said tools so much now I sound like a tool saying "tool."

And the problem with asking Cargo or Engineering is that they won't even bother to listen to you 95% of the time. I've asked for harmless shit from engineering before, tons of times, all of them I ended up having to go to the AI.

I actually like the idea of a Warden or HoS asking officers to label their belongings at the start of a shift just in case. In real life I believe a lot (although not all) police officers have their own equipment that only gets switched out every once in a while for something newer so they may as well just label the equipment as theirs. Some departments, especially those with less in the way of equipment, are more likely to share it between officers, though.

I don't think it would be overly metagamey if any given officer labeled their taser and stun baton, possibly their armor and/or helmet. Most of the time antags aren't going to nab the armor and helmet anyways as it's super obvious when they're running around wearing it. Taser and stun baton are more apt to be stolen, however, and it would make a good case against them if they're caught with one labeled as belonging to the officer who went missing 30 minutes before. An antag could also take advantage of the labeling and leave it in maintenance where some Greydora the Maintsplorer finds it and causes chaos only to take the fall when Sec takes him or her down. If the officer is still alive then the labeling could just as easily get them in trouble for losing their equipment, unless they were beaten to crit/death before it was taken, of course.

EDIT - This is in no way meant to be an endorsement for the idea that items should be labeled by default at round start, just a commentary that a player taking it upon themselves to label their own equipment at the start of a shift is not a bad idea in general.

Coils, batteries, glass, metals are materials/consumables. Not tools. Nor are they hoarded to the same extent. Nor are people stuck between two fire doors screaming "where is the gorramm battery?!".

If the location bothers anybody or it becomes weirdly verbose, then it could just be a standard text denoting it as station equipment. The main point is to separate it from legitimately acquired items, which is a reoccurring point of friction between security and others when going through their backpack as part of the brigging procedure.

I am pretty sure I am not alone in thinking that that is a problem.

(FWIW: IRL, permanently placed emergency equipment would be tagged.)

The location would've helped in putting things back, but it's no biggie.

If people, in the other "should hoarding be illegal"-thread, come to the conclusion that civilians should just help themselves to whatever reasonably commonplace item is within their reach, then of course the point is moot. However, it seems to me that this suggestion is being purposely misrepresented as a way of achieving it.

Its' already a commonly held ideal that people DO help themselves to whatever shit they can get, and frankly its' no where near as large a problem as you make it out to be in either of the two threads.

Your application of circumstances that would occur IRL situations is not a very good thing to go on because:

- Its SS13, otherwise known as Autism Simulator 13, otherwise known as the worst-of-humanity 13. Its' within the scope of this Medium Roleplying server to accept that people take shit, then use said shit, whether nefariously or for the greater good.

- As stated by literally everyone else; these weapons Tools are so common place it literally does not matter. Anyone who might legitimately require these tools in a Real Life TM situation, such as an engineer, already has ALL the tools found in a toolbox on themselves already. Plus, if you are REALLY struggling to find that crowbar to pry open a door, just pop open an emergancy closet and it might just have an emergancy toolbox in there with a crowbar in it. PLUS you have Cargo ordering them for dirt cheap or just making them with the Autolathe.

-The point you make about these tools being a point of contention in Security brigging isn't true. The main and usually the only point of contention in brigging are the players involved in the brigging, not a bloody crowbar or wirecutter. If people are complaining about having shit taken away from them they either have had shit taken from them that is critical *insert critical item here* and Security can usually be argued with to the point even the thickest of skulls will cave to the demands. OR the items are not critical and the player is just complaining for the sake of complaining and shouldn't be held with any regard by the Security staff who I feel are often overstressed as is.

Also, if you've encountered a Sec officer that has taken away tools while Brigging, take it with a pinch of salt, almost every other Sec officer is not that shit.

EDIT: To sum up; no, I don't think this is a good suggestion worthy of implementation. Any RP gained from this would literally be ________.

What the everliving fuck.

Why?

How would this improve the quality of anyone's rounds?

What's the benefit of all this? You can print out ridiculous numbers of tools if needed, it's not like they are forever gone after the greytider pockets it.

And label removal when?!

Never Yes pls.

Don'tPlease give coders ideas!

Also

>people don't hoard metal/glass/batteries/cables to the same extent

At least make sure your examples are true before you post them, you're not wrong on the cables but batteries, metal, and glass are all hoarded more than tools are even.

As a fort builder, I'd know how bad the material hoarding frequency is :(

Don't believe me? Just wait 20 minutes in a round and look for metal. Know those sheets in the tool storage? Gone. You have to go in maint with a wrench and start recycling racks and stools and shit and it's fucking retarded.

Not saying we should label them, just pointing out some flaws you made.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use