Resomi (2, the eclectic poodle flu)

fludd12

So, it's definitely too early to pull a Thread Necromancer card on Sigholt's Resomi thread, but at the same time, I wanted to propose a few ideas that I found (probably?) more favorable than replacing the vox with an admittedly broken race.

Pulling from my list of suggestions (which are totally not mashups of others'),

• 5x5 Vision range, the fifth being halfshaded like the welder overlay. Any living thing outside vision range has a greyish silhouette marking its location.

• Adorably small sprite. To help with spriting, you could give them a single Resomi uniform, or two uniforms, one for command.

Allow them to be picked up, but too large to be put in a backpack. We don't need someone carrying around an army of Resomi on their back. At best, make their weight enough that the backpack could only store the one.

Screw the whole small eyes thing, welding tools hurt like hell. However, becoming blind would still allow them to "see" via hearing, and in fact allow the overlayed grey sprites to show up everywhere on screen.

A few other suggestions that I found of note

Garoon suggested:

• Modified hardsuits - However, this becomes moot if/when Fox gets the hardsuit mods automatically happen.

• Fragility - This will be addressed later.

Mouse Eating - This is necessary. For adorableness.

Fox noted:

• They have half the health of everyone else - This is ABSOLUTELY ENOUGH when it comes to fragility. We wouldn't need damage modifiers if this was put in, since it's essentially a global 2x modifier.

• They gain hallucinations and shock stages when alone - I love this idea, it encourages group travel and lets people roleplay better! Also, overall just a nice little effect. Shock stages, however, may be a little overboard.

Specialty clothing - You could take my earlier suggestion, or you could make your own clothing. Do as you wish, I suppose.

Something I'd like to stress, though, is that I am heavily against movement speed buffs. Unless a race is sufficiently debuffed to make it worth it, I'd veto most suggestions for it. The essentially ESP but without names makes these guys a little too powerful to also add movespeed - even counting the half-health.

Post any other suggestions in the comments! Hopefully this'll rekindle the debate going on, and potentially make Sigholt's suggestion at least partially fulfilled!

By the way, for any prospective coders, my idea for a silhouette of any living creature basically consists of duplicating the sprite, setting the contrast to 255, then lowering the opacity, and layering it over the welder overlay. If you have any better ideas, feel free. I am officially unable to code this, though.

I don't think we need tools to make it easier for people to grey tide.

We need to make the races we have now more unique before we get more in the game

an admittedly broken race.

This is just the nail in the coffin for this race if you know it is broken why would you consider adding it?

You do know that this race would probably be behind a karma lock which would dramatically reduce greytide?

And that we already have and had even horrendously broken races that many play or have played without issue?

if you know it is broken why would you consider adding it?

My point was, rather, that the original concept for the race was overpowered, and this is possibly a better balance.

I couldn't even finish reading

Yes, this is obvious.

Who am I kidding, Resomi'd be cutes :_(

They're insane, though.

• Thermal Vision for "hearing" - No, if you can't code in a hearing feature you don't need it. Those eyes, tho...

• Extremely fast - Not sure how this is a problem honestly. As long as they aren't dogs-on-meth fast.

Cold resistance, small, passes plastic flaps, can be picked up - So far it's a race with only like 4 debuffs and 6-7 buffs. The "able to be picked up" part I love, it's so fucking cute and probably both a buff and debuff.

Vox are fine. Voxen have like only 1 buff and 3 debuffs, whileas these have ten thousand insanities. It'd be best to modify the fuck out of them and put them in the Karma races alongside Vox. Or maybe it could be adminbus only.

Not such a huge fan on their BayFluff either. I was thinking they could probably be a subspecies (I might be using that word wrong.) of the Voxen race by lore, dunno what else besides that though.

EDIT 2: ENGGGGGGH FORGIVE ME FOR MY SALTINESS I FEEL SO GUILTY FOR HATING THIS ADORABLE NERDY FUCKING BIRD THING

100kp race.

Enough said. I think gimping it with a 100kp price tag will be more than enough to keep abuse managable.

I would much prefer this implemented as an additional species.

It'd be EASY mode since resizing is a thing, and it comes with a boatload of sprites.

d like to chime in that having Resomi as a race would be tops. Though definately not -replacing- Vox.

ALSO ADDING that from some posts made, people think the "Permanent Wleding vision overlay" means they can freely weld shit and be A-okay like an IPC

That's. Uhh. That's wrong. They still need goggles or get their eyes fucked.

They have a permanent Welding vision overlay as in the short-sightedness aspect. They can only see as far as a human can when they have a welding mask down, thus the "Thermals" they get by hearing, cuz they hear good but see for shit.

So they're short sighted, can be knocked unconscious in a matter of punches in the single digit range, or limbs broken with something as easy to get as a crowbar. Seriously they're Squish even more then IPCs I think, you can punch them to death real easy.

And the Upsides are speedy feets and the "Thermals" effect.

And the mixxed bag is the being super short and peiople can pick you up like a diona nymph/Drone and wear you on their back like a living adorable as fuck backpack.

As for another debuff.. Since Resomi are so damn small, how about dwarfism outright killing them? "Your bones crunch and shatter as your body shrinks too far beyond even unnatural capacity!"

Or if I'm misunderstanding, and these guys would spawn in with the halfling trait already-- if they were to grow, maybe it would be such that... "Your bones creak and splinter under the strain of sudden unnatural growth!"

..Or you could just resize them to be bigger and ditch that idea. Can dwarfs currently walk through flaps?

Low HP, super low unarmed damage gimps these guys pretty hard. I figure higher susceptibility to bone fractures would be a good idea.

But reading through this thread, I found a pretty golden post

For the hearing, I'd rather see it display fuzzy, gray humanoid outlines for what they hear but can't see - it's kinda ridiculous to know how to read someone's ID beyond a wall BY HEARING or know -exactly what the paper on their head is labeled.- By hearing it.

Aaaaanyway.

If that were coded in copypasta from thermal vision with different sprites (the grey outline that overlays OVER darkness and such), with things like 'examining' (looking at IDs and clothing and such) gutted or disabled to represent advanced hearing, and have a trait that makes it operate based on a variable or something for TILE DISTANCE so it could be managed on a per-species basis via a flag called 'HEARING_DIST or something.

That'd make it so this feature could (possibly) be implemented in other races with heightened sense of hearing. Maybe even humans, although the distance would be very small.

It would definitely have to have a check to see if the person you're 'hearing' is obscured by something or not, or if you're blind or not. If blind, it should show the grey outlines all over.

An interim solution for the grey outline could be just greyscaling the 'heat' outline from the heat resistance genetic power. Or just a muted soft blurry blob-shape, but that'd take all of 1 minute to sprite anyway.

Other than that I feel it's managable as a high-$$$ KP race. I'd be more than willing to foot the bill.

Also, as a sidenote, I'm pretty sure anything on the Avali Wiki is up for use since this species is pretty much a slightly modified version of that.

From the wiki; "However, because Avali lack a true iris, they often cannot see at all in bright daylight since their eyes cannot adjust much if at all to increased or decreased light levels."

If you really really want to nerf these guys, you don't have to look past your nose for ideas. A blindness overlay system reactive to light-level could work quite well-- where in BRIGHT light they get a blind or blurry+welding overlay, in dim light they get welding or blurry (or welding+blurry if blind overlay is used for the brightest stage) overlay, and in darkness they get blurry overlay and that's it. But this would go in conjunction with the whole 'grey outline' business to simulate hearing

I'm quite ecstatic that this species was brought up on this forum. I can only dream of getting the chance to help develop/eventually use it.

There's a real wealth of information on this species outside of Bay (thankfully) if anything needs expanding on or if there needs to be another balancing factor. Trawling through the whole Avali wiki was pretty interesting.

That's why I explicitly mentioned that the 100kp tag would severely limit the number of players gaining access to the species so, if it were to be implemented without much more thought into balancing, it wouldn't be too much of a job to squash those abusing it because there just wouldn't be that many of them.

Price for the sake of limiting the number of problem cases, not balancing argument, although rarity does have an effect

Also why I went on about various additional balancing factors and a lore reference that already has a bunch more quirks that could be used to potentially cripple the species if desired

Jeez this threat got buried hardcore. A real shame.

I actually bothered reading it, and the more I read, the more I want to grab one of these little monsters by the throat, and squeeze until it's feet stop wiggling.

Really who in the everliving mothersucking assmonkeys thought it would be a good idea to give them a lore like that?

DYSON RINGS AND NANOMACHINES THAT REVERT AGING YEAH WHAT ELSE. AND A FLEET OF DEATH STARS WHILE WE ARE AT IT. BECAUSE WHY THE FUKC NOT. WE ARE ALREADY MORE POWERFUL THAN ENTIRE NANOTRASEN.

I actually bothered reading it, and the more I read, the more I want to grab one of these little monsters by the throat, and squeeze until it's feet stop wiggling.

Really who in the everliving mothersucking assmonkeys thought it would be a good idea to give them a lore like that?

DYSON RINGS AND NANOMACHINES THAT REVERT AGING YEAH WHAT ELSE. AND A FLEET OF DEATH STARS WHILE WE ARE AT IT. BECAUSE WHY THE FUKC NOT. WE ARE ALREADY MORE POWERFUL THAN ENTIRE NANOTRASEN.

I actually agree with the Science part of their lore. I don't like it completely. Some medical advancements would be nice for their race, just enough for survival on an ice cream cone of a planet

While I agree a lot of it goes too far, I think the BASIC gist was just to make a race that could stand to NT/Humans so it's not just "HOOMUN MASUTR RUC" which is fun at first but gets progressively more tired every instance it's used.

I think it'd be better if it were more on par with what our Grey are supposed to have.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use