MORE SLIMES!

Tauka Usanake

So because I made the comment here it's been requested by two people I do this. Don't know if anyone else will go for it as it changes a bit of things but no core mechanics (I'm not that good at code just yet).

Basically this would add more colors of slimes with their uses as well as switch some of the slime reactions around a bit. Nothing at all is removed.

So I could list down all the different slimes and the word or two that explain what its core would do, but I think I'll just post this instead and slowly die inside because I think it's awful and think the rest of you will think it's awful.

fJ2ZLDN.png

I made this in Paint.NET please have mercy.

Yeaaaah... I never liked how organized the normal slime chart was. How does something even do that in normal mutating? As you can see I have four major sections with another four than do their own thing, and five different tiers as they are commented as in the code. For the record I never really liked the bluespace slime icon and make my own in my first round of this hackery. I won't go into the reactions each slime would do, partly because I'm still working on them but mostly because I'm ashamed I'm even posting this here.

So here I sit, awaiting your *shudder* constructive criticism. Today is not a good day for me to be posting this but seriously, tell me what you all think so far and make me worry slightly less about how I'd go about giving these all reactions.

someone kill me plz

EDIT: Dammit Blackmage ALRIGHT FINE. Here's a list of most of the slime reactions I was thinking about. They're worse than the actual chart so don't expect me to be back here until tomorrow (or the next day after reading any comment)

• SLIMES

• Gray - Monkeys, gray slimes

Orage - Fire, hot

Metal - metal stuff

Light blue - Frost, cold

Light green - no idea yet

Yellow - Electricity, light

Red - Wrath, aggro

Oil - Explosion

Silver - Silver

White - Bork

Aquamarine - Fish and stuff

Blue - Water, calm

Green - Hydroponics

Pink - Slime potion

Purple - Slime steroid

Black - Slime mutate, shadowpeople(rather this be random playable mobs), darkness

Pyrite - Paint stuff, Bananium(honk)

Gold - Gold stuff

Radiated - Uranium, radation(Mutations?)

Ghost - Makes user a ghost, ectoplasm

Bluespace - bluespace things

Dark blue - Crit

Cerulean - Slime mutate 2, badge(hur)

Sepia - Camera stuff

Dark Green - Viruses(?)

Light pink - Slime potion 2

Dark purple - Slime steroid 2

Evil - Makes antags (NEEDS ADMIN APPROVAL IC AND OOC WHICH IT WON'T)

Gib - Gibbanite, self/area gib

Shiny - Diamonds, bling(?)

Adamantine - Golems, armor(sprite)

Plasma - Plasma, plasma fire/atmos

Plantinum - Money

Rainbow - Drugs and rainbows

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh why

heres a horrible crop job,

I put the original colors back in original position

now its time to look at it code wise, this suggestion would mean making it so each slime core had 4 variation it could mutate to , sans edge cores.

this would mean recoding most of the slime mobs to have new mutation paths for the additional types, possibly changing some to allow for regression.

also on the side thats missing the most options I'd suggest stuff like, wizard slime, ect

such a slime could give random spells ( using them improperly being self antagging.)

58bea28c5cbe7_horriblecrop.png.ed0149d0ed4cbfd20449a2835c9f6c08.png

58bea28c5cbe7_horriblecrop.png.ed0149d0ed4cbfd20449a2835c9f6c08.png

I definitely don't mind more slimes being added. What I would like to see, as well, is the ability for us to feed other creatures or even objects to slimes to potentially change what they split into. Let's say you add as "sickly green slime" which, when killed and processed gives an extract that then gives a (inert) viral culture upon being injected with blood. If I have a grey slime that I want to turn into that sickly green slime maybe I have to go beg the virologist for one of his starting virus samples at the start of the round. He's only got 3 but he might give one up at the prospect of potentially getting more back a little while later.

Another example might then be the purple and dark purple slimes. Maybe I have to inject the living grey slime with liquid plasma and that will increase the chance that it splits into a purple slime. Inject the purple slime with even more plasma and it will have an increased chance to split into a dark purple slime.

When you have a slime of a specific color that splits into 4 it might normally go like this:

Each new slime has a 25% chance to be a color of the next tier, 25% chance to be a color of the previous tier, %50 chance to stay the same color as the slime it split from.

If you feed a slime the right item maybe the splitting process would look more like this:

Each new slime has a 25% chance to stay the same color, 25% chance to be a color of the next tier (not related to the food type), and 50% chance to be a color of the slime determined by the type of food it is given.

I imagine, however, that that would take a ton of work...

The benefit is that Xenobio would no longer be essentially the same process over and over. Maybe one round you have a great Cargo crew and the miners are hauling all sorts of materials back to Science, so Xenobio could focus more on the slimes that don't give materials. Maybe one round you have a fairly robust virologist who's kicking ass at his job but needs a few more virus slides? Say no more, Xenobio's got you covered. I think it would be really cool for an efficient Xenobio department to be able to supply most or all of the station, maybe not with one or two staff members but with 3 of them each working towards specific slimes, sure.

Also, if we're going to bump up the number of slimes we definitely need more cages, or a way to store slimes outside of cages without killing them. I'm thinking something that functions similar to an operating table (drag entity onto table, entity can't move around or act) but maybe something that can be constructed with materials in-house and dragged around. I suppose we could just use lockers but it's tricky to wrangle more than one slime into a locker at a time.

omg why. Why did you crop it all like that? I know what I made was shitty but this just looks worse ahhhhh.

I really don't like the circle. It's why I butchered it so much as I did. Mutations aren't organized like that, they branch out in random. They go in weird paths, literally making their own. I organized them by colors and features, some better than others. It's part of what lead me to this refactoring.

I considered a wizard slime but decided against it because then I might need to make other antag slimes. I rather that Evil slime do all that instead.

Kero, I kind of like that idea but I wasn't about to go into lands I know very little of, if anything. I'm not changing any core features until I know EXACTLY what I'm doing. It would however make Xenobiology less RNG dependent but WAY more dependent on other jobs. The way you have it you'd need a little bit of what you're trying to get to get more of it. I do have a virus slime in the works but I'm thinking of using the old Metroid core reaction for it.

Mutations are handled with there being a mutation chance probability check (listed in the code as being between 25 and 35, default is 30) and upon success a random color being picked from a list of four colors that it can reproduce into. If it doesn't have a mutation list, or if it's listed as the last slime in that branch (tier 5) then its mutations are its normal color. That's how you mass adamantine golem ruin spam.

I always thought if you needed more room then it would be Engineering's job to construct it, or you just let all your slime babies bounce around in your room. Just make sure people know about it, maybe install some windoors so they can see inside. Else, I wouldn't be against the idea of a "test tube" that you could stick them inside. Maybe just a cyro tube that can suspended animation them. Now you can be REAL crazy scientist! >:D

I get what you're saying regarding using a little of something to get more of the same and certainly how that can make the work dependent on other jobs providing the right materials.

Maybe we could simplify it to function more like botany (ha, simple botany, I fuckin' wish) and just use chemicals from the science Chem lab? We have slime analyzers too that absolutely never get used, but maybe if we putzed around with the idea of injecting chemicals which then change the percentage chance of a specific color slime spawning that would be easier than trying to come up with a long-ass list of items to feed to them. There's always unstable mutagen in the banana stand.

(ha, simple botany, I fuckin' wish)

Boy, don't even get me started on how fucking simple Botany is. The only hard time you will have with it is if the Chemist doesn't want to make you Advanced Mutagen or if the AI decides it wants to kill you. Splicing plant genes is simple and worth the time spent (and sooooo pleasing when you get reharvest on first try) and using soil for more planting space forces you to pay attention to your plants more. Once you get enough crop income then you throw the extra into the biogenerator and start pumping out Robust Harvest. It's such a nice and peaceful job.

I suppose some method of controlling a slime's mutation would be nice but as of right now the system works. Let's decide to not change it just yet until there is something way better than the RNG. (I sound so stupid saying that :P )

Ha, fair enough. And I've never gotten into plant splicing in botany but it always seemed pretty complicated. Maybe I should give the guide a closer look. As far as changes to Xenobio and the slimes, well, all I would really need to be happy is the satchel item we discussed in the other thread.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use