Kidan modified glasses

Nukkel

I always imagined Kidan would be able to sense different ores through the rock naturally using their antenna but I don't know anything that would really fit without something like OP natural mesons.

If they are a mining race, or be re-imagined into one, I wouldn't be against that idea. That might just limit them to just mining jobs however so maybe not so good an idea

According to their lore Kidans are good miners, indeed they are absolute shit to play with as Miner. I agree with the idea to have a mining hardsuit with meson scanners :/.

So then kidan simply don't have a downside?

That doesn't seem balanced.

20% brute resist is pretty good.

Not being able to use eyewear is pretty minor already.

The only problem I have with it is Kidan are known as a mining race, yet are the worst miners on station. Mining helmets should have mesons installed on them by default considering that is what the suit's sole purpose is. Everything is fine except not being able to mine for shit. I would rather have a mobile security computer that can easily be read for new arrest warrants and just remove sec huds altogether, but thats getting off topic now.

I always imagined Kidan would be able to sense different ores through the rock naturally using their antenna but I don't know anything that would really fit without something like OP natural mesons.

You have a massive 20% damage reduction against mining mobs, meaning you're by and large lightyears ahead of your fellow spessmen in terms of dealing with them. We don't balance around lore, that just leads to super mega overpowered bullshit like old slime people, which only had one minor weakness that could technically be overcome, completely.

May I make a suggestion? Doubt it'll be accepted but I'd like to try. I'd like the idea of them of them to have a builtin meson/mining scanner. Their Empresses were powerful psionics and I would imagine the normal kida would have a partial relative power to that in the form of mining. If balancing is still an issue (and this is where no one might like this idea) just take away another thing they can use. In this case, a headset. I can't imagine an insect-like creature to posses much that resembles ears even though they do, but then how they would attach would be kind of strange. That can use handsets instead, spawn in with one in their pocket.

It's a feature to add to a specie so that alone will be shot down because reasons that are surely stated in another topic. It's just a suggestion though and one I think is at least a bit favorable to some people. Kidan can't be much in other jobs and making special equipment for them just doesn't seem logical enough. In my opinion, the lore is reason enough to make a species what it should be and if it's not a good defense then that lore shouldn't be there or should be different, but that's a different argument for a different topic.

In my opinion, the lore is reason enough to make a species what it should be and if it's not a good defense then that lore shouldn't be there or should be different, but that's a different argument for a different topic.

Make it so only like special Kidan superiors have mesons in the lore, and the others are just guided, mindless workers. Lol.

But yes, what Fox said - Kidan OP against mining mobs.

Kidan brute resistance doesn't even really change mining. If you get hit and don't have a healing item you will bleed to death before you make it back to mining. Also, how are broken bones calculated? As a Kidan I never noticed getting any less broken bones. Goliath will fuck you up melee no matter what you have on or who you are, basilisks will freeze you and cause burn damage anyway, hivelords won't even touch you once if you rush them with a pickaxe and you get a heal from them anyway.

The only use ive ever had for Kidan brute resistance is against greytide. Security uses tasers, command uses lasers, bullets hurt just as much, then you get flashes and stun. None of them brute resistance helps with. Only when some shit greytide starts shit with you and hits you with a toolbox a few times you can tell them to fuck off before you beat them down instead of just beating them down immediately to prevent going crit yourself. Seriously, how many melee weapons do we have that aren't improvised greytide weapons?

Brute resistance doesn't in any way shape or form make up for the lack of mesons. A 50% brute resistance wouldnt even make up for lack of mesons. If you want any ores before the 1 hour mark you have to get the advanced scanner to see ores as a Kidan which you can only see the outer ores with because you have no mesons. Then you pick away, avoid goliath, bring ore back, buy a kinetic gun, fight goliaths because mining ore is useless and all the cool shit in mining you won't find because you don't know where to dig. Then you die anyway because you got hit a single time and have like 10 brute damage but you just bleed like a god damn fountain.

If Kidan brute resistance was as good as you guys seem to pretend more people would play them. The majority of Kidan owners ive talked to have regretting buy Kidan because they aren't nearly as robust as people think and the lack of glasses ruins the two departments where brute resistance might possibly be a beneficial.

If Kidan brute resistance was as good as you guys seem to pretend more people would play them. The majority of Kidan owners ive talked to have regretting buy Kidan because they aren't nearly as robust as people think and the lack of glasses ruins the two departments where brute resistance might possibly be a beneficial.

Yes. Maybe it makes it 'balanced' in some ridiculous way?

In my opinion, the lore is reason enough to make a species what it should be and if it's not a good defense then that lore shouldn't be there or should be different, but that's a different argument for a different topic.

Make it so only like special Kidan superiors have mesons in the lore, and the others are just guided, mindless workers. Lol.

But yes, what Fox said - Kidan OP against mining mobs.

OP? I am just getting rekt when I have to 1v1 a mining mob. I tried to attack a goliath, but just as any other race ; I stood no chance at all. Nothing

You probably aren't thinking it right, or just haven't found a strategy that works for you.

Take Spark, for example. I equip him with a welding tool, kinetic accelerator, and a pickaxe initially.

-For fighting Goliaths, I slowly back up and repeatedly fire at them from a range, moving further back when the tentacles sprout up.

-Mostly the same for basilisks, except I like to drag an ore box around with me. I can dodge their freeze beams a bit easier that way.

-Hivelords I just run up to with the pickaxe and go crazy, if done right, and fast, they can't even touch you.

The welding tool is handy for when I make an error in judgement.

So it tends to run out really quickly. :^)

My point is, Kidan armor? Sure, it doesn't let you just plain rush mobs, but boy that will help you by a lot.

I dont see how it helps with your example unless I try to melee a basilisk to death which still makes you bleed like crazy. One hit means the bandage must be used or the Kidan will bleed to dead, even if it overall did about as much damage as hitting yourself with a piece of paper. Maybe some of it could be helped by not having Kidan bleed like stuck pigs from even minor damage.

• 4 months later...

Looking over the stats and code for Kidan my opinion is that they suck.

No eyewear makes them objectively worse for security, medical, mining. Inconvenient for chemistry too.

20% brute resist is pretty bad, and I think their riot shield protection being OP was grossly, grossly exaggerated.

They evolved warring with Diona, which honestly they would lose badly at. Diona are physically far, far more robust.

Yeah, a riot shield will help not get push or from Baldie McTide, but honestly people don't fuck with diona either because of the extra damage and rapid regeneration.

I've killed every kind of mining creature as a Diona. Diona suck as miners because they're too slow, but they trivialize the combat. Pretty good against blobs too.

Kidan are obviously intended to be a "warrior" species, and their current brute resist is not worth the massive loss in utility they get from no glasses. They'd make natural sec officers, but the loss of glasses isn't worth 20% brute resist alone.

Edited by Guest

As someone who just got a Kidan, I gotta say, they do suck. They suck hard. I love the Kidan lore and even drew up the new sprites for them, so why not overhaul them in general?

Up the armoured ability but make them really, really slow and difficult to heal, perhaps?

Or what about an ability to spit slippery or damaging acid? Think how cool that would be. They ARE bugs after all. Lots of bugs can spit stuff.

Up the armoured ability but make them really, really slow and difficult to heal, perhaps?

Chitin (the stuff insect shells are made of) is shown to have some advantageous healing properties IRL (when used in certain applications such as surgical string for stiches). Of course this is 2D spess, not real life.

Or what about an ability to spit slippery or damaging acid? Think how cool that would be. They ARE bugs after all. Lots of bugs can spit stuff.

Not too many bugs can spit (none that I can think of off the top of my head) - a few can spray. inb4 someone suggests

. Of course this would be too OP. However, oil beetles release a painful chemical that can burn skin when they are threatened. Maybe Kidan could have acid blood or minor (quite minor) damage reflection?

As someone who just got a Kidan, I gotta say, they do suck. They suck hard. I love the Kidan lore and even drew up the new sprites for them, so why not overhaul them in general?

I think that they bleed more and can't use eyewear are already pretty significant downsides.

Of course, greys and skrell are already worse than humans and definitely need more love.

Kidan are expensive and not really interesting in their design either. You'd want their benefits to make things more interesting, not less. Passive benefits generally aren't interesting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use