Plasmamen deserve their own language - ideas?

Plotron

The idea of symbols is to have an alphabet.

What you see or what you hear is not a language per se, it's your interpretation of what you're hearing, put into syllabes that are trying to match the audio. At least for alien races. Think slimes.

Symbols would make no sense, since you wouldn't be able to reproduce the written sounds yourself (unknown pronunciation).

The idea of symbols is to have an alphabet.

What you see or what you hear is not a language per se, it's your interpretation of what you're hearing, put into syllabes that are trying to match the audio. At least for alien races. Think slimes.

Symbols would make no sense, since you wouldn't be able to reproduce the written sounds yourself (unknown pronunciation).

By that logic, Cyrillic and Arabic alphabets make no sense.

There are plenty of languages written, and parsed in symbols.

By that logic, Cyrillic and Arabic alphabets make no sense.

There are plenty of languages written, and parsed in symbols.

You misunderstood me.

They do make sense in WRITTEN form, but you wouldn't be able to use these methods of WRITING words if you overheard an Arab speaking.

Think rōmaji for Japanese. "Senpai" isn't how Japanese write it. If you overhear a Japanese speaking, you'd write it in rōmaji (as best as you can) because you wouldn't be able to write it in kanji or katakana. Reading rōmaji is easier (and more intuitive) to you [1].

You have no idea how to type a certain language (sans Tradeband, because it's easy to decipher and write down in Latin), so for instance slime language is full of pops, squishes and blops.

Adding a new language that is written in entirely unreadable symbols misses the point, for it is not onomatopeic.

You'd have to latinize the language at the very least.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Japanese

I don't think it necessarily has to be onomatopeic.

It'd be nice to have a language that actually looked foreign more than some fancy, coloured text gibberish.

I would imagine symbols to represent sounds that are not easily mimicked. Think like the Rootsong of diona I guess, I don't know how that looks but I would imagine it sounds like something you can't really write out. Like an ethereal type of sound that feels it just phases through the air.

Kidan have a language that's a bunch of clicking noises, I'm pretty sure it doesn't parse in an onomatopoeic fashion.

Yeah but clicks are a sound people can try to mimic. I mean we created tools and communication devices that use clicks and click-like sounds to share information. It's kind of different in that respect from strange sounds.

I myself have a newer idea for a language.

They rumble and screech, making their sentences sound something along the line of "Grggrggrgggggg shshhhshhhhh." Their text can be bold, underlined, and purple like in my preview. Stupid idea, but hey, it's an idea.

Kidan have a language that's a bunch of clicking noises, I'm pretty sure it doesn't parse in an onomatopoeic fashion.

Yeah but clicks are a sound people can try to mimic. I mean we created tools and communication devices that use clicks and click-like sounds to share information. It's kind of different in that respect from strange sounds.

I meant on the server. I'm pretty sure it doesn't parse as a bunch of text. It parses as the kidan making clicking noises (unless that's been changed).

I don't think that everything should have to visually make sense in terms of language.

We're talking about a wide variety of alien species here, who's to say that everything spoken must parse in an even remotely understandable way?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use