Quick item slot mechanic

GuardianStriker

The fact that fumbling through a utility belt and your pockets take just as long to click and to equip to your hand, take just as long as it does when you click on your backpack to get out the item you want, it makes me wonder, what's the point of these pockets and utility belts if they're not a faster alternative of equipping items than fumbling through a container or backpack?

What I'm saying is, I want a quick item slot mechanic where whenever you assign the item that's in one of your pockets or a belt that can hold items in, you quickly equip that item into your selected hand.

For example, if I wanted to get out my stun baton real quick from my utility belt, I assign the baton to a key like "1". Then I press the 1 key to quickly equip my baton or put my baton back into my belt.

The same for the two pocket slots on the HUD. Assign the item in the pocket to a key, then press that key to quickly equip that item or put the item back in the pocket.

Some people would call this a "quick draw" mechanic. Since if you're able to store a gun or a weapon in your belt, suit inventory or pockets, then you can quickly draw out your weapon from either one with a simple key press.

However this will not work with backpacks and containers. Since just like in real life, you can't just quickly pull something out from a container or your backpack and then be ready to use that item immediately. Because that's not how it works. You're going through the backpack or container first to find the item you want, then you pick out the item you want.

However for the suit inventory slot, utility belts or pockets, you don't need to fumble around to find the item you want because, the item you need is in plain view and is within an arm's reach to equip or put back.

Please implement this as it will help out a lot for security officers. Since I don't like having to click over and over for a few precious seconds just to put away or equip my stun baton. Not to mention this can be very annoying if you're trying to arrest someone since you don't have a quicker way of equipping the right items immediately when you spot a suspect.

The thing about SS13's general clunkiness is that it adds to the fear and tension, knowing that you could be attacked and wouldn't be able to defend yourself too well.

This would just give sec more power as they'd be able to have their instastuns on the field in fractions of a second.

Taking something out of your backpack takes the same amount of time as taking something from your pockets or toolbelt. That's just how it works in real life too!

No it actually does not. In real life, you can just pull out the item from your pocket or your belt within a few seconds.

Backpacks however, you would have to take the backpack off your back if you're wearing it, unzip it, look into the backpack and scrounge under the items in it to find the item you need. Then you grab it and then you get to use it. Which could take more than just a few seconds.

Doesn't really take a genius to figure this out. Just saying.

The thing about SS13's general clunkiness is that it adds to the fear and tension, knowing that you could be attacked and wouldn't be able to defend yourself too well.

This would just give sec more power as they'd be able to have their instastuns on the field in fractions of a second.

No it would not give them more power, because every character would be able to use this kind of mechanic just like security can.

It will work for any pocket and belt in the game. Not just for security belts. The reason being that someone could steal or wear a belt from engineering and have quick items that way. Not to mention it is obviously possible for a traitor to be an engineer or someone part of the engineering career.

It is not restricted to just security so again, they would not have more power over others. They would have the same amount of power over someone that's wearing a belt just like they are.

Taking something out of your backpack takes the same amount of time as taking something from your pockets or toolbelt. That's just how it works in real life too!

No it actually does not. In real life, you can just pull out the item from your pocket or your belt within a few seconds.

Backpacks however, you would have to take the backpack off your back if you're wearing it, unzip it, look into the backpack and scrounge under the items in it to find the item you need. Then you grab it and then you get to use it. Which could take more than just a few seconds.

Doesn't really take a genius to figure this out. Just saying.

That was just a little of my sarcasm. Obviously it wouldn't take the same amount of time to take something out of a backpack as it would from those other great things!

No it would not give them more power, because every character would be able to use this kind of mechanic just like security can.

It will work for any pocket and belt in the game. Not just for security belts. The reason being that someone could steal or wear a belt from engineering and have quick items that way. Not to mention it is obviously possible for a traitor to be an engineer or someone part of the engineering career.

It is not restricted to just security so again, they would not have more power over others. They would have the same amount of power over someone that's wearing a belt just like they are.

Except most others don't have instastun items like security does (Nobody even thinks about making stunprods.)

If you want to instantly pull something out, have it in a pocket or put it in your bag and have the bag menu open.

Or use the tried and trusted disarm intent and hide in a locker.

Except most others don't have instastun items like security does (Nobody even thinks about making stunprods.)

If you want to instantly pull something out, have it in a pocket or put it in your bag and have the bag menu open.

Or use the tried and trusted disarm intent and hide in a locker.

Why should it matter if they don't have an insta stun weapon anyway? It's plain obvious that only security has access to this, so it would be weird having one around when you're not sec. Regardless though, you have the option of stealing a stun weapon if that becomes a problem and if you need one.

Here's the thing though, I don't like having the bag menu open. It takes up too much of the screen for me and there's no point of having it open if I got what I needed out of it.

Also, are you forgetting that you can't necessarily put "every" item in your pocket? Tried putting my stun stick and stun gun in my pocket. Too big to fit.

Belt slot/ armor storage if you have armor.

This game isn't meant to be easy.

I honestly have no clue how exactly does adding a quick item slot mechanic changes the difficulty of the game, so in turn, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think we barely understand what you're talking about. The slots all work fine as they are. It just depends on the player being able to use them best. Make the most of his inventory as it be.

Belt slot/ armor storage if you have armor.

This game isn't meant to be easy.

I honestly have no clue how exactly does adding a quick item slot mechanic changes the difficulty of the game, so in turn, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think we barely understand what you're talking about. The slots all work fine as they are. It just depends on the player being able to use them best. Make the most of his inventory as it be.

If I remember the OP, it was about the ability to bind a certain button on the keyboard to draw an item and put it in your hand, kind of like the detective drawing his revolver from his holster.

Honestly, while it makes sense logically (The whole idea of using pockets and toolbelts is to more quickly access items, after all), in the game it sounds like it'd be of more use to combat-oriented jobs/roles (nuke ops, non-stealth traitor, security/shitcurity) than anyone else.

It might be easier to give each department a department-specific holster to their lockers/spawning gear that they can store their most valued job item (med scanners or a healing patch for medical, taser/stunbaton for security, most used tool for engineering, and so on).

I'm not sure how applying a 'holster' mechanic for an entire belt would really be managed. Maybe have the top bar (where players can adjust masks, employ security hailers, toggle flashlights and the like) fill with icons for all the available items in the belt when the belt is equipped? It'd be a good way to use a bar that doesn't normally fill with very many items at a time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use