More chances for the chaplain

ErAgent

As the subject says, why don't get more choices for the chaplain ( to be not boring) as the black magic? Something similiar to the cult magic, but not the same just to give another way maybe for a traitor chaplain it's just an example to improve some positions which this.

I'd be fine with the Chaplain, with some Research similar to Cult Research, being able to give small buffs and perhaps positive things. And perhaps having a traitor Chaplain be capable of unlocking more dangerous 'runes'?

Most of our Chaplains act like they are Satanist worshipers running blood sacrifices and covering the chapel in runes, or they play jehovah's witness and run around harassing everyone to join their religion or fart on the bible.

Most of our Chaplains act like they are Satanist worshipers running blood sacrifices and covering the chapel in runes, or they play jehovah's witness and run around harassing everyone to join their religion or fart on the bible.

Let's give them a chance to improve and get this job better with some new features then

The job could use an overhaul of face lift.

Chaplains need something to do, the ability to bless or concencrate areas of the ship to give minor bonuses to people nearby, creation of holy water and sacrament (bread) that could apply additional bonuses, vague communication with the ghosts (ghosts can't directly talk to Chaplain, but Chaplain can detect presense of spirits and gain a verb to sense their mood, i.e. at rest, upset, worrisome, angry, vengful or some other aspect.)

With a proper face lift, this job could not only keep the Chaplain from turning into the most annoying chucklefuck on the station who assaults people with his bible, but could potentially make the round more interesting for Ghosted players too and give them an avenue to interact with the round through IC means.

In short, we need to find ways to make the vanilla chaplain relevant and useful regardless of roundtype, THEN worry about giving traitor chaplains unique options and abilities. How ever, making it so a Traitor chaplain could make a light version of the cult and throw off security would be rather neat and a way to fuck with powergamers and validhunters who freak out the moment they see a cult sword or rune.

Well... If ghosts had those moods, and if they had more spells, then maybe the chaplain could do something about it? Like a vengeful bartender that is still not over the chef killing Pun Pun, and so keeps turning off the power in the kitchen, until the chaplain appeases his ghostly soul?

My point is, not enough people play the role of Chaplain because the only time you ever really have something to do is during Cult rounds.

If we only improve the Traitor side of the Chaplain, people will only play to be traitors, and if they join a round as a non-traitor chaplain, they are just going to go SSD or greytide. Making the role itself productive and fun to play first, then adding antag options second should be the priority, not making it blatantly obvious to validhunters that the chaplains is an antag because he didn't go straight to cryo or start with crayon all over the chapel in the first 10 minutes of the game.

My point is, not enough people play the role of Chaplain because the only time you ever really have something to do is during Cult rounds.

you forgot about the vampires.

So true! the ghosts and vampires too! There are a lot of options to improve this position!

Chaplains aren't really required to destroy vampires, the Chapel does it by itself. Holy Water only denies the Vampire their power, and can be made a chemist who gets a hold of some wine.

To be quite honest though, even when a Chaplain gets the chance to do something on a cult round. All they really do is just create holy water, which anyone can do to be honest - so with or without a chaplain, there's almost no difference. The Chaplain is kind of like the Clown to be honest, they exist - but they have no compelling reason to be on the station. It's like an aesthetic job.

You know, funny enough I believe Kluys expressed interest in making a race that had powers that would grant buffs and stuff like that to others but not themselves.

I believe if we took the initial idea he had for some of the buffs which I can't remember because it was a long ass time ago, it would be sort of cool for the chaplain to be able to hone their abilities to learn those powers and actually be less useless on the station.

However, I believe there should be some side effects to any buff a chaplain can grant, like a 10 percent chance to backfire and a 40 percent chance to fail giving only 60 percent chance to successfully buff another player.

I seem to remember seeing an Ouija board somewhere on another server, maybe that can be an idea for the giving the chaplain something to do with ghosts? Of course, make one spawn in his office locker and/or make them orderable from Cargonia so that if someone mass drivers the original, it isn't lost to the pits of time?

I seem to remember seeing an Ouija board somewhere on another server, maybe that can be an idea for the giving the chaplain something to do with ghosts? Of course, make one spawn in his office locker and/or make them orderable from Cargonia so that if someone mass drivers the original, it isn't lost to the pits of time?

I think you're thinking of Hippie station.

Fludd is coding something similar to this, as far as I know, but an idea I had was to have a list of words, similar to cult words. Each word is assigned a random holy item (candles, holy water, whatever) at the start of the round. There would be multiple rituals that, like cult runes, require a certain combination of words (holy items) to work. The chaplain would put the items on an altar, activate it, and if the recipe is correct, the spell will activate.

Rituals could be stuff like:

Sense Spirits - Lets the chaplain see ghosts for a short time.

Sense Evil - Tells the chaplain if there is an antag, or a person with an opposed/skeptical NT relation nearby.

Summon familiar - Summons a random pet.

Cleanse - Removes some poison.

I'd support that idea, as long as the candles themselves aren't used up in the spell. Those candles are a VERY limited resource, but I'm fine with the idea of the holy water being used up. Maybe a cooldown between the incantations and rituals, along the lines of 'You feel your spiritual connection is weak, you dont feel like you can do this at this time.'

Sense Spirits - Lets the chaplain see ghosts for a short time.

Sense Evil - Tells the chaplain if there is an antag, or a person with an opposed/skeptical NT relation nearby.

Metagame: The Job

Maybe making the chaplain have to work for an item that lets him talk to ghosts? Or ghosts possessing people and objects, needing the chaplain to perform an exorcism?

i like the idea of ghost possession, but I think that the ghost would have to haunt a room, and if the chaplain does nothing about it your influence on that room grows until you can do a few things, two that come to mind is a physical manifestation, that cannot talk but can use emotes like me and stuff, and the other is possession, which has a very hard time talking and can only say singular words, and should have a rule prohibiting them from saying who killed them to stop metagaming, the possession should cost them the room, and would only work on moveable things, preferable a dead corpse or an inactive robot, which should have all access, but be unable to pick items up nor use electricle abilities, but this is about the chaplain so im just gonna say im all for rituals doing something without adminime intervention, (like when I sacrafised my right arm to revive ian) but how it would work is beyond me currently.

EDIT: I also think the haunting a room should have a cooldown of 20 minutes, and cost something, like your respawn chances, since your so commited to being a ghostie, should I make a full topic on this?

We've uh, had Ouija boards in the code for literally months now. I don't think any admins have ever spawned them.

It was pretty unanimously agreed that letting the chaplain speak directly to ghost in any circumstance is going to end badly.

Like the librarian, clown, mime, etc, the Chaplain is one of those jobs that is "assistant with a bit more access". As it is, the Chaplain actually has way more power than a lot of those other roles, with their access to an incinerator/mass driver, the fairly robust null rod, etc.

It's really not meant to be a job that has things the station relies on - hence things like holy water being able to be created without them. It's meant as an RP job, and with their title, bible, and access to the church, they have more than enough for.

Giving them magic just won't happen - it's way too much power (and antag like abilities) to have in one minor role.

Allowing them to talk to or communicate with ghosts at all is problematic as hell. Ghosts are mainly an OOC thing, as we can't be arsed trying to police a lot of the meta from the angry at getting killed dead players. This can be problematic with scrying orbs/cult abilities, but thats rare as hell luckily. If it was more common, those would get changed.

I'd love to see Chaplains be more respected/useful, but that can be done simply by a well played Chaplain. Game mechanics aren't needed to back that.

• 1 month later...

Why you don't add the Sacramental bread then? It may be usefull if there will be a good chaplain who do a mass. There will be fun also see some interaction between the chaplain and the revenant either the ghosts via some very rare chances to be an antagonist, no?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use