Sekrit Chem?

Surrealistik

A good portion of it is to avoid an easy give away for every base level griefer who joins in as chemist and wants to create havoc with it--the recipe itself is freely given away on Goonstation to just about everyone...but it's noted posted on their wiki for exactly the same reason. Lot's of people like to be assholes and just pick the most dangerous sounding thing they can find (or know about) and go to town with it.

Same thing applies for stuff like toxins bomb making; there's a generalized guide for how to operate toxins, but "perfect recipe and step by step" for it for a reason.

As an anti-grief policy I find it pretty pointless and ineffective; releasing the singu for example, is both more obvious and impactful.

Further, Sarin synthesis (as well as any other particularly lethal killchem) could also feature an admin alert.

As an anti-grief policy I find it pretty pointless and ineffective; releasing the singu for example, is both more obvious and impactful.

Further, Sarin synthesis (as well as any other particularly lethal killchem) could also feature an admin alert.

The other reason for it is that it's so chemistry and test labs can have other use then "press buttons in this order, get X" much like how baychem. It gives a sense of accomplishment to find make something you never seen before and that's what Goonchem was originally made for. I would honestly like some silly chems off the wiki like Hairgrownium so the only non listed ones aren't super lethal chems, and just leave the ones that are important to medbay on it.

My 2 cents and what I've learned when asking about this issue. I ABSOLUTLY dispise the Super Sekret elite squad and don't want that happening here.

Secret chems are dumb. It just stifles creativity behind a forced up wall that you call "discovery." Finding chems isn't fun. Using them in interesting ways is.

I don't think anyone is going to genuinely experiment to find new recipes. Most players either don't know secret chemicals exist, and therefore won't experiment, or they do know they exist, in which case they'll look up the recipes elsewhere.

Balancing gameplay through obscurity isn't fun for anyone. I'd prefer to see ingredients that are challenging and fun to obtain.

Deleting Sarin is eminently retarded and pointless; almost as bad as trying to suppress knowledge of its formulation. As with PRs, the best policy here is one of transparency.

First of all, there are plenty of alternative threats and ways to grief that are much more effective and at least as easy to do. This includes mixtures of multiple kill chems that are at least as deadly if not much deadlier.

Second, as others have mentioned, it's not the discovery that's thrilling, it's using the products of that discovery.

Third, insular Sekrit Kem Leet enclaves/cliques are dumb, and are easily one of the worst things about Goonstation; definitely not something we should be trying to import either passively or actively.

Fourth, synthesizing killchems should probably trigger an admin alert as a means of fighting grief so staff know to monitor its creator more closely.

I honestly don't see a point to hiding information from the wiki, especially when we are open source as it.

Griefers are always a problem but if we are this set on restricting knowledge or options for other players, what's the point in having it? Restore the wiki, or remove the recipes and make them only available through traitor link or RNG spawns (Locked Mining Crates, Syndicate Supply, Syndi Base/Shuttles, ect...)

Honestly I feel we restrict the player base heavily as it is in attempts to keep grief activity to a low, to a point that antags aren't allowed to release singularity unless they have the escape alone objective.

I find traitor exclusiv chems silly. This is a big research facility, why shouldn't rhey have all kinds of chems. Make it more difficult to produce but not with silly restrictions like chems that you only get through aliens or something like that. Maybe make them need low temps to react. Special research item to keep your beaker cool.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use