Dreadweaver - Bulma Briefs

Sligneris

Admin Key:

Dreadweaver

Complaint:

It might be just me complaining about people's playstyle here, but frankly, playerbase mentality is one of the key problems with this server. And for a Trial Admin to contribute to that, I just think it's slightly too much.

When someone is supposed to be a Head of Staff, higher standards of RP and generally fulfilling your duties is required. First thing Bulma Briefs does however as Captain, NT Rep or Head of Personal is announcing her own uselessness and then being prideful of her own incompetence as well as potentially messing with people's rounds.

We can all say 'it's just a game', but funnily enough, griefers also say that. Cloning equipment set up by in random places by an Assistant kills immersion. Heads of Staff somehow getting the position while being purposefully incompetent kills immersion. Frankly, when admin's entire playestyle is just filling the server with nonsense, something sounds wrong to me.

I'm sorry if the tone is slightly too personal.

Have to say I do agree.

Earlier today Bulma was spamming announcements.

Sure, she was far from the most annoying person that round but still. Using priority announcements to argue with the captain is not funny.

Sure, be wacky and random all you want. But make sure your funny. Not annoying.

While this might lean more towards a player complaint, seeing as it goes more against the persons playstyle and attitude as a character, I will keep it in admin complaints because admins are held to a higher standard regarding following the rules, after all they are the ones who enforce them.

This is a reply to ensure that this is not being overlooked, and that a resolution will be worked out.

Alright. First things first - as Regens already said, this is much more of a player complaint than an admin complaint. And I can confirm that, what the OP describes has nothing to do with me being an admin. This 'playstyle', though personally I find nothing wrong with it, carried over from the times when I was a player.

However, there is something I must clarify. OOCly, I can play all head of staff roles, in my opinion, quite competently, including the NT rep and the magistrate. ICly, I like to pretend my character in question (Bulma Briefs) incompetent and useless, only to show competency when the situation actually demands it. A good way to gain the upper hand when your enemies underestimate you.

To address the complaint about the cloners - it was merely an attempt at roleplay. I had several, in my opinion, good ideas about it, and I was really sad to find that apart from a few people, no one was really interested in it. I, however, honestly feel like this isn't something to be handled OOCly. ICly, I had committed plenty of (petty) crimes to be able to build those cloners. Your character, who I most often see as an IAA, responded with, apart from your multiple complaints about be building cloners, a few confused looks ICly when confronted with the cloner. And sorry, I honestly can't believe that security wasn't willing to lift a finger in ANY of the 5-6 rounds I have done this gimmick. There were plenty of IC opportunities to solve this 'problem', but no actions were actually taken.

As for the complaint about my playstyle when playing heads of staff roles. A part of my answer has already been written above. Apart from that, I would mainly like to talk about my Rep rounds. The representative has no actual power over anyone on the station. That is a fact. The representative does most of his work, in form of faxes to Central Command, behind the crew's back. Again, I may seem silly to everyone who does not see this work, but I believe many admins are willing to attest that I actually write detailed faxes that have gotten many comdoms demoted. Similarly how many players are able to tell you that I play head of staff roles pretty well.

And as for what Mrs. Dobbins said - first off, the HoP can't send priority announcements. Secondly, I don't believe I harmed anyone with them or ruined anyone's round, I was trying to bring some light-hearted roleplaying shenanigans into a VERY SHITTY round. And I almost got lynched by the greytide for my attempts.

I don't think I have anything else to say about this. If the admins decide so, I am willing to change my playstyle. But I honestly don't believe I am harming anyone with it, and some people seem to enjoy it.

Also, thanks for the complaint - you actually raised quite a few valid points, and I completely understand why you made the complaint. But I don't think you saw the underlying motives - I hope I have clarified a few things with my response.

Your character, who I most often see as an IAA, responded with, apart from your multiple complaints about be building cloners, a few confused looks ICly when confronted with the cloner. And sorry, I honestly can't believe that security wasn't willing to lift a finger in ANY of the 5-6 rounds I have done this gimmick. There were plenty of IC opportunities to solve this 'problem', but no actions were actually taken.

Honestly my detective when she saw that so wanted to investigate further (That's why she was standing in the doorway watching) and was going to given the chance, but a more pressing immediate crime scene pulled her away from that and things got busy before she could return.

As to the Head of Staff performance, I find her mostly acceptable when Bulma Briefs is a head, though I try and avoid her lest I incur her wraith and demotion when she's an HoP, I saw her hunt a fellow roboticist down once when he made several snide and rude remarks towards her, and got his ass demoted and humiliated hard and fast. Was scurry.

As an NT Rep; I sort of tend to look up to those people as officials that, while don't have authority, should be wise in several matters regarding SOP and the expected conduct of the crew, and would go to them for advise when needed. Recently in a Vox Trading round the captain was (Intentionally) being a massive Comdom and myself as the HoP and the NT Rep basically worked together to try and stabilize the situation.

Though assuming this isn't the case or needed, a NT Rep that goes about getting drunk and bitching about everyone over petty things seems fine to me.

JustMyTwoCentsOnTheMatter

I saw her hunt a fellow roboticist down once when he made several snide and rude remarks towards her, and got his ass demoted and humiliated hard and fast.

The roboticist in question was demoted for calling my character a 'whore' and a 'slut' multiple times (completely unprovoked. Also, OOCly, I could care less about these remarks (look at my signature), ICly, it got my character pretty pissed), even after being asked to stop, not knowing that there is an autolathe in R&D and getting the AI to let him into botany and steal all the buckets AND throwing a hissy fit at me because I ordered the AI to deny them (you and him) entry into the secure part of tech storage. The demotion was approved by the RD and the captain.

So... yeah. Also, the 'rage' was 100% an IC 'rage'.

Fair enough, the decision to do that seems a whole lot more appropriate under that context, I don't know what he said because I wasn't paying much attention, and was mostly remembering it for the after effects of me getting my legs blown off by a bomb and him not being able to help much because he didn't have access anymore.

> Though you didn't have the paperwork stating that it was approved. :3

I'll hush now as to not derail the thread.

It might be just me complaining about people's playstyle here, but frankly, playerbase mentality is one of the key problems with this server. And for a Trial Admin to contribute to that, I just think it's slightly too much.

I see how that could be an issue, playerbase mentality is a large problem, and we've faced numerous issues in the past few months. As for contribution to the "problem" they aren't causing issues that create player complaints in the least. If this was a problem in-game, you should ahelp it, don't keep your opinion for later.

When someone is supposed to be a Head of Staff, higher standards of RP and generally fulfilling your duties is required. First thing Bulma Briefs does however as Captain, NT Rep or Head of Personal is announcing her own uselessness and then being prideful of her own incompetence as well as potentially messing with people's rounds.

We do expect higher RP from heads, that is true, and, in most cases, Bulma in no way shape or form falls short on that. They call out that they are "useless", yet when the situation demands it, they fill the role to the letter. They get all the proper work filed, they contact Centcomm regularly (even when drunk), they confer and discuss with the heads regularly over what they should do in certain situations, gaining input and most importantly being a part of a team instead of going solo and doing their own little thing like so many heads do. From personal experience, they do a better job than most heads do at both RP and action. They fulfill their duties just fine, and as for messing with rounds, the most they do is get drunk, and that's about it.

We can all say 'it's just a game', but funnily enough, griefers also say that. Cloning equipment set up by in random places by an Assistant kills immersion. Heads of Staff somehow getting the position while being purposefully incompetent kills immersion. Frankly, when admin's entire playestyle is just filling the server with nonsense, something sounds wrong to me.

I'm sorry if the tone is slightly too personal.

It is not against RP or rules to collect materials and set up cloning in any area, it's a boon to the station if used properly, and it's a good gimmick for a few rounds. Collecting the materials is either petty theft or talking with cargo and engineering to make a trade or simply get the objects. They need to contact science to gain access to the proper materials to complete the machinery, and they need the tools to finish and create the machines. As I've stated before, the head roles are not actually incompetent. Although they appear as such, they still complete their duties and follow SOP and Space Law to the letter. It comes down to a roleplay perspective, do you like or dislike their style of RP? This player often demonstrates a medium or higher RP standard, hardly taking action without reason and confirmation behind it, and I see no reason as to why it would need to be changed. I can see how you'd be put off by a head preaching incompetency, that's normal. You want a smart leader, and you want one that knows exactly what they're doing when they take up the role. I can see how it'd be odd to see cloning equipment set up in some place (usually chapel) for seemingly no reason, but if you took a look at it closely, it actually benefits the station more than it harms it. They went through the fuss of gaining the materials through RP or otherwise, they went through the right connections and they ended up making a new area. Should assembly line stay empty? Should maint bar stay abandoned? Should the hidden medical bay be removed? Should anything that is there for seemingly no reason be removed, or can you put a purpose behind it in-character and gather supplies to build something new? Every round you can change an area completely. If you really tried, you could re-arrange all of the departments in the station, and you could do it if you got other players to interact and agree. Anything that makes people wonder or question why something is done and then ask the creator about it is adding to RP. It adds more player interaction. The drunken stumbling head can make for some good drama and, in the event they are needed, perform to the standard of a head if the situation calls for it.

In short: Bulma Briefs is a good character in RP, Action, Head, and other station roles, if a bit unsettling. It's understood that the incompetency or attitude of the character may feel disrupting or self-centered, but it's a character choice. Does the player fail to perform their jobs? Not that I've seen or heard. Does this in-game choice affect their out of game administration? It hasn't.

Have to say I do agree.

Earlier today Bulma was spamming announcements.

Sure, she was far from the most annoying person that round but still. Using priority announcements to argue with the captain is not funny.

Sure, be wacky and random all you want. But make sure your funny. Not annoying.

The announcement system is not a form of communication, it can be used as a fun gimmick for a minute or two, but a consistent string of announcements is not reasonable. A head of staff has been approved by Central Command, and abuse of communications is not acceptable due to central command announcements and potentially important announcements from other departments. It's very minor, sure, but it's not reasonable in the sense of command behavior. As for the reason for using the announcement system like this, it was a good attempt to try and bring up the morale.

That's just my opinion on the matter though.

Due to multiple problems, OP has been permabanned. Then forum banned. Then IP banned when dodging those, etc.

I think Dread's responses are pretty good, but that's not for me to judge.

I'll leave this open for a few more days. Anyone is free to post their opinons as to whether it should be marked resolved or not, or raise any other problems they can't have.

However I don't want this to become a witch hunt. Keep things relevant, with specific examples, not just generic complaints.

I'll close this in a maximum of a week if no further complaints are raised.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I know this probably isn't the right place to do this but I was just reading up on a few threads and reacquainting myself with the rules since it's been a good year since I've played last. I passed by this one and noted the character was called "Bulma Briefs" though, rule nine (Character Names) states "As such, famous names, highly offensive names, or simply mashing your hand violently across your keyboard are not viable options of character naming". As Bulma is a well-known DBZ character, does this count or is it limited to people only? I'm just curious as to what it covers for my own understanding, my deep apologies if there is any offense caused.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the recent announcement. Someone may want to update this in the rules! :)