Every day the same shift

Every day the same shift.

Every shift the same people.

Same people, same positions, same times, every day. Thet. Nymph. Cole. Medusa. Fox. Do the names even mean anything? A set time they'll be on the station, a set role, a set personality. Always the same. Same jobs, same names, same times, same things.

They cycle every hour. Same with the personal AIs. Always the same pAIs. Some hours you'll get only NEKO, others only Spark, others none at all. But it's always the same pAIs. Always the same personality packages, always available for download between the same times, their various gimmicks echoing in your head and driving you even more insane.

Every shift the same things.

The rush for the coin. Medical doctor, scientist, cop, hell, anyone without the ability to nab yellow gloves. They all rush for the coin. Every shift, every day, like clockwork. The moment the voice announcement system announces the welcome (every shift the same welcome), they all scramble, head off to the crew quarters, and try and nab the coin.

The engine, motor, gravitational singularity, singuloth, our lord, whatever you wanna call it. Every day the same modes. Off, on, and CALL THE SHUTTLE. Every shift the same engies, doing the same things, turning it on the same way. Repairing the same breaches. The same officers, arresting the same clowns and mimes, getting stabbed by the same enemies and griefers.

The same shitlord supercops, power-tripping assholes with a penchant for executing (see: BASH YOUR FUCKING SKULL IN) you if you even look at them the wrong way. For brigging you for an hour, crime being yelling too much.

Every person the same actions.

The chefs. They call them chefs, but all they ever make are... abominations. Deep fried boxes of deep fried boxes of deep fried boxes of cereal, made out of a slice of cake. The same inedibles. Pens. Toys. The same absolutely inedible junk, turned into cereal, deep fried and fed to us.

The shenanigans. Always the same shenanigans. Colorful reagent smoke, carpet smoke, clowns dropping banana peels, vines. Some times you'll get only one, or the other, but it's always shenanigans.

Every day the same tide. Greytide, the civilian wave, the same. Faceless, completely devoid of personality, in the same jumpsuits. Pushing over the same engineers. Stealing the same stun batons. Getting jailed for the same crimes.And they are not the only ones.

Every day the same species.

They call it a multicultural outreach program. Employment opportunities my ass. Our folk love to call 'em catbeasts, slime beasts, fish beasts. 'course, all they ever do is huddle together in unspeakable ways. And that's not even to mention the vox. Those parrots, their absurd spaceships, their complete lack of understanding of the Space American Language. All you ever hear are SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

Hell, that's even if they're organic. Robots, not-robots-but-still-robot IPCs, cyborgs, AI units. Heh, AI? Bet they're just dudes in cubes, given levers and monitors. Theoretically, silicons're supposed to follow laws, and be good. But when does that ever happen? When does our Artifical Stupidity ever decide to not exploit its laws, and fuck us all over 'cuz it wants to?

Every day, the same attackers.

The Cult of Nar-Sie, the Syndicate, the Space Wizards Federation, what's the difference really. They're all hell-bent on nuking everything you've done to kingdom come, whether it by summoning an ancient hell-god, turning you into ashes, or just by blowing up the fucking station.

The same beasts. Shadowlings they call 'em. Some crazy beast form capable of literally lurking in the shadows, striking you down with their eyes, and converting you entirely. If you're lucky, it'll just be a few alien spiders, how do they even manage to get on-board?

Post-shift, it's even worse. All the insanity, the bottled rage, the absurdity, it all releases there. They say we arrive at a central command facility. It's more that we arrive at our dooms. Always the same post-shift shenanigans. Gibsmoke. Tank transfer bombs. Bags of holding. Laser fire. But we always survive, and we always manage to be there the next shift.

I remember it so well. The new years celebrations. 2559, was it? They say time itself broke that day. I can't really tell anymore. What year is it really? Nobody really knows. They say it's 2559, or 2055, or 2053. I don't think anyone knows for sure anymore. It's been cycling for so long. And I don't think there's a way out. Welcome to Hell.

Thanks to the CrewCrew Collective (PJ and Neko/Qinetix) for editing, additions, ideas, and inspiration.

e: oh fuck this is my 100th post

Kei' Shen says, "Kei really hates the same old thing."

I said this yesterday, I just realized.

Ahahahahahahahaha.

I do like the story, very detailed and true.

Yet every shift you die in a different way... Kill/murder... Even blowing up is a unique thing, every explosion is a different one. Some say you're in a loop in time... Some say you're already dead and reliving your death in different ways... But the truth is that all of this is a part in a big simulation. In CentCOMM, you and others are taking place on the dip space incident on the station: Space Station 13.

So the people are the same, the same antags, ect.

The rush for the coin. Medical doctor, scientist, cop, hell, anyone without the ability to nab yellow gloves. They all rush for the coin. Every shift, every day, like clockwork. The moment the voice announcement system announces the welcome (every shift the same welcome), they all scramble, head off to the crew quarters, and try and nab the coin.

sometimes when i want to be a civie then i remember i can be a barber at roundstart, and start right next to the crew quarters.

Yet every shift you die in a different way... Kill/murder... Even blowing up is a unique thing, every explosion is a different one. Some say you're in a loop in time... Some say you're already dead and reliving your death in different ways... But the truth is that all of this is a part in a big simulation. In CentCOMM, you and others are taking place on the dip space incident on the station: Space Station 13.

So the people are the same, the same antags, ect.

Interesting theory.

Also I'm quite surprised on how much I play that I'm still never mentioned on anything, whatever. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I need to read this out loud and record it. Those who know how I sound might agree.

this when

Also, I would like to thank what is probably the reddit influx for making this the most viewed post in the stories forum.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use