New Karma Jobs!

Arthur_Dayne

The good old suggestion of departmental officers/guards/peacekeepers.

My personal suggestion would be a karma job that lets you coordinate things between departments, like cooperation between RnD and armory/warden, cargo and other jobs, Medbay meds and security.... But then again, it doesn't make much sense. You know, a guy who would bring all the requested items and supervise multi-departmental projects.

Also a private bodyguard with rather limited gear. Sadly, this would likely contribute to supercopping.

Frankly, I don't think there is anything that could be made into a new [karma] job right now. All the things are filled.

I think some form of "psychic" job could be interesting, the problem is balance, im thinking the psychic has a few minor tricks it can pull, mayby it can occasionally get messages like "you feel that x visited here recently" or "There is something funny about x" perhaps if the target is helpless they can do some creepy mindprobing or something. The psychics powers arent generally evidence in court, but can give security leads.

Im thinking that any abilities that the psychic may have require the user to wear special equipment and perhaps does a bit of brute damage to the head.

Mayby it can talk to aliens telepathically, sorta a mix between the Psi-corps from babylon 5 and empaths.

A few extremely underdeveloped ideas:

-Gateway Explorer: This gets thrown around as a karma job a lot. Main issue I see is it makes gatewaying without the job punishable outside of a crisis situation.

-Locking all command jobs behind a very low karma gate (maybe 5kp to get everything but rep/bs)? Pretty controversial and probably a bad idea.

-Subroutine-AI without the responsibility. Can't directly interact with anything, but can use cameras, holopads, comms, etc.

-Chinese Restaurant Chef- Would need an expansion to be mapped in to the chinese resturant that is currently useless.

-Private Investigator- Pretty implicit. Detective without the responsiblity of working for sec, probably no revolver.

On the subject of karma jobs. I think magistrate should be put into normal job rotation. It's a pretty important role that only gets filled every third round.

I'd like to see some sort of spirit medium, which can interact with ghosts through a lot of preparation. It'd probably take quite a lot of work to create and balance in a way that it's still fun to play, though.

-Subroutine-AI without the responsibility. Can't directly interact with anything, but can use cameras, holopads, comms, etc.

-Chinese Restaurant Chef- Would need an expansion to be mapped in to the chinese resturant that is currently useless.

-Private Investigator- Pretty implicit. Detective without the responsiblity of working for sec, probably no revolver.

Private investigator would be useless.

The restaurant idea is cool - 50% of the chefs are incompetent and do nothing.

Subroutine AI sounds like... Well, I'm not sure if it'd be great for game balance. It would surely give a lot more intel to security and command. I've got mixed feelings, even though I like this function.

PS

You don't need to be a medium - use the damned chairs.

Just get an Oujia board and give this function to the chaplain. He will be the 'medium', because why not? You want another 'barber' kind of karma job?

I'd love for Warden to become a karma job. Warden is frequently filled with not great players, and his purpose is something requiring good roleplay. Making it a 2-5 karma job would make it a better played job.

May as well make HoS a karma job as well.

I'd love for Warden to become a karma job. Warden is frequently filled with not great players, and his purpose is something requiring good roleplay. Making it a 2-5 karma job would make it a better played job.

May as well make HoS a karma job as well.

HoS is a very necesscery job, so that while making it karma locked might make it better played, it also needs to manned and would likely be manned less often if it was karma locked. Warden is a job that doesn't have to be filled, but when it is filled it should be filled with a good player.

HoS isn't necessary, right now they're just a big guy with a special gun.

Security might listen to their orders, sure, but for the most part security can manage itself just as bad.

Vanilla jobs are not going to be karma locked- ever. Especially with jobs like the HoS and Warden, who are the few official people designated to open the armoury when shit goes down. The stance on karma jobs can be summed up as such- Buying power is not good, and making the round ever suffer because a karma job is not occupied is a big nono.

Vanilla jobs are not going to be karma locked- ever. Especially with jobs like the HoS and Warden, who are the few official people designated to open the armoury when shit goes down. The stance on karma jobs can be summed up as such- Buying power is not good, and making the round ever suffer because a karma job is not occupied is a big nono.

This, exactly.

I will say +1 to Gateway Explorer job, make it the leader or a core team that can recruit more crew to the team if needed. Would also like to see a way to cycle the gateway without starting a new round (I.E. the mission has been completed/base cleared, calibrate the gateway to find a new place.)

I'd also be interested in seeing the Bar/Kitchen revamped into more of a traditional restaurant, with Waiters/Waitresses added as fluff jobs (debateable if giving them Bar/Kitchen access would be a good idea or not, since they'd be able to overtake the role of their 'boss') Flipping the Bar 90 degrees would aide in this, the Bartender's office/room in the north east corner of the bar and the bar itself being 'L' shaped around it, the drink showcase in the corner of the bar and the Kitchen's pick up window just below that.

Departmental Guards are an iffy idea, they can be useful to both department staff and security since they act as the bridge, but I always found department guards kinda barged in where ever they wanted to and would generally act like a head of staff without command chat.

Edited by Guest

diagnostician: another medical job that is just as useless as the psychologist! and his job is to diagnose people and make jokes about it!

Cue the rise of the egotistical (but hyper intelligent) asshole in medbay who asks for Hydrocodone every single round.

diagnostician: another medical job that is just as useless as the psychologist! and his job is to diagnose people and make jokes about it!

Cue the rise of the egotistical (but hyper intelligent) asshole in medbay who asks for Hydrocodone every single round.

introducing!

the diagnostician diagnoses the captain with the help of the subroutine-AI (or pAI)!

also where i got the idea for this.

I'm going to be frank. I like the thought of new jobs, I loathe the thought of them being attached to karma. Not all of us have the time or ability to farm the massive amounts that are required, and even then, people seem to forget to use their karma 60% of the time, and even then, you don't usually get karma for just being a good RP'er, you have to do something worthy of note, and that circumstance just doesn't always arrive. Karma is just a frustrating randomness gate on experiencing more of the game dependent entirely upon the altruism of others more than how deserving the player is.

i am against putting standard SS13 jobs behind a karma barrier. how is anyone supposed to get karma through role play if you lock all roleplay jobs with karma?!

isnt that what you always tell people, do good roleplay and you will earn karma? Warden does not require much roleplay, just knowledge about the space law. like EVERY OTHER JOB requires knowledge about something.

oh wait we should lock Archaeologist with karma, new players always fuck that up and destroy artifacts... or surgeon, new players always fucking up the surgery... Chemistry, no new player ever managed to mix up some charcoal!

you see where this is going? locking jobs with karma will lead to a shitton of civilians wihle important jobs are empty

The good old suggestion of departmental officers/guards/peacekeepers.

My personal suggestion would be a karma job that lets you coordinate things between departments, like cooperation between RnD and armory/warden, cargo and other jobs, Medbay meds and security.... But then again, it doesn't make much sense. You know, a guy who would bring all the requested items and supervise multi-departmental projects.

I really like the sound of this. Departmental Liaison, perhaps? Solves inter-departmental disputes and fosters co-operation between departments.

Yeah, he'd answer to the Captain most of the time. This would put less stress on the most important command member - he'd be able to offload tasks like AI construction supervision (so you can put more pressure on certain things ) or machine upgrades (by either ordering it or 'doing it' himself, given the tools) and could even partially serve as a secretary (Oh, RD wants that thing unlocked and Warden is unavailable? Bring it to me, the all-access Captain, don't bother the scientists! - this job is usually fullfiled by the RD, but since the Liaison would be a karma job, you wouldn't get to see him every shift).

Cool name for a job. The Liaison could also gather weapons/chems/meds produced by RnD/Chemist and distribute them accordingly - for instance to be used in chemical implants. The station's so chaotic that you don't even get a chance to do this. As the Captain you have antags (crisis management) to care about, not item gathering. The RD, CMO and HoS are all busy micromanaging and working in their own departments (so much for commanding, eh?).

This is why I came up with this idea. I even did this once as a civilian - gathered all the stamps and got command-approved with a custom title of Logistics Officer. I stocked up the armory and helped with cargo crate orders, to make sure everything is delivered where it belongs.

Hell, you oftentimes can't even get food to Brig to feed the prisoners - the Liaison would also take care of that - he'd stuff his plastic bag with all the shit the chef has made in the kitchen.

Let's be honest - waiting as a chemist/chef for warden to pick up your fruits in Brig Lobby is a pain in the ass and a waste of time - you could have more fun interacting with players in the bar or making these new prototype grenades you've always wanted to try. The Liaison would pick these things up and deliver it, since it's his job. A job that is enjoyable if you are not focusing on one particular thing. Plus - don't you think it's an attractive position - helping people out by carrying out small tasks? Get more karma by being seen!

This can only work on a large light-RP server like Paradise, where every minute of the shift counts (nobody will wait for you).

All of the above is naive, though. In reality this seems like too much of a power. The toned-down RP version described in the previous post isn't as ridiculous as my ramblings, so I'd go with that. We need a person besides the captain who can oversee various requests and manage their completion. One head requests something from the other? Great, tell the Liaison to manage it so the thing is done and precious time of heads is preserved.

I would love not just more karma jobs, Even if they are useless, but i would love more karma options.. like fluff items and such! hell more races too even if sub races.

Personally.. I'd love to see a karma job slot for clown.. just the ability to be an extra clown even if we have one.. so we could have.. two clowns.. or more.. :D

Shop Owner - Like trader except has a shop somewhere on the station.. sells stuff..

you mean a guy who has a hard time keeping his shit together befor clowns and civilians raid him?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use