Can we please make self harm and suicide a bannable offense?

Jack Fractal

To be honest, it is incredibly frustrating to see all your hard work go to waste and get blamed for the prisoner's actions when you don't really have a way of dealing with it. There probably won't be a change to the suicide policy, mainly because it is normally not a problem that gets ahelped very often. It's obnoxious for sure, and it's awful for RP purposes in the context that you've used it, but if you're trying to change a rule I suggest you make a poll for it. Let the community vote and see how many you've got pushing for change. I apologize for any disappointment, time wasted, misunderstandings, and any failure to understand the points you were trying to bring across.

Remember, if the prisoner is yelling over the radio like a histerical baboon, then you are allowed and encouraged to confiscate their headset.

If the prisoner is being a noisy chimpanzee beating himself with the shoes, you can throw him into isolation to calm him down.

If you think he might suicide while in isolation, then there is a handy straightjacket in the execution chamber just for cases like this.

Or you can just also give him an actual weapon to beat himself to death quickly.

This is for cases when the prisoners are a bunch of cackling brain-deadened monkeys with the only purpose in their short lives to cause as much cringeworthy trouble as possible.

All right, thank you everyone for clarifying. I apologize if I came off as hostile in this thread, I had a number of very stressful rounds involving this issue and I was not having the best week.

If I encounter this as a problem again I'll make a poll about it.

For normal prisoners you aren't allowed to leave them cuffed.

For violent or troublesome prisoners, you can re-cuff them, though don't cuff them to their bed unless absolutely necessary.

For exceptionally violent prisoners or those that repeatedly try to remove their cuffs, you can cuff them and shackle them (orange shoes + cuffs.)

Those that continuously do self harm, restrain them with a straight jacket, you may want to consider cuffing them to a chair or bed at this point. If a prisoner deserves this kind of treatment, you should definitely ahelp (Rule #4 Saying your character is CRAZY LOL is not an excuse for this - that's just bad roleplay.) Even antags should know that repeatedly pissing off security will keep them in the brig longer, and thus less time to complete their objectives.

If a prisoner insists on verbally harassing you, a muzzle is available.

If a prisoner is still managing to cause trouble, try to escape or assault themselves or security, exile implant may be an option. Otherwise Executions or Borgings are justifiable to prisoners who violate the law every chance they get. Be absolutely sure that an ahelp player complaint has been submitted about your prisoner, to clarify your actions before they happen, or even suggest advice on what to do with what is clearly an unstable member of the crew.

As for, should suiciding/ self harm be bannable in general? No.

Should people turn down their frequency and only do it with the propper RP behind it? Yes.

The obvious part is suiciding in the brig. It's done to annoy the officers or as a last resort to make themselfs somewhat relevant that round. Both not good reasons to impact someone elses experience in such a obnoxious fashion. It breaks the immersion and makes it really difficult to take your job as a officer serious.

There were times where i cared about this self harm brats and it annoyed the crap out of me. You have to somehow restrain them, provide them medical attention, explain to others why you are dragging a bleeding and screaming idiot behind you. And all that, just for them to return in the cell and do the same again.

FUCK THAT!

If you kill yourself in a cell for no apparent reason and present me with that shitty of RP. I will just disregard your existance and let you suffocate and maybe throw your dead body out of security. If you are lucky you might be found and cloned, i don't care.

Since it is the overall theme of the rules of Paradise to provide a fun enviroment for everyone (not just yourself), i would like admins to discourage such shitty behaviour and give such players a warning or whatever seems resonable.

What i don't mind for example is a certain slime person that roams the station and inflicts self harm all day every day. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not, but the point is, he does not force it on me. He does not come into the brig and tries to make it my problem if i don't want to. (at least that is how i perceive it)

He/she is having fun and asking other to engage with this sort of RP and that is perfectly fine with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember, if the prisoner is yelling over the radio like a histerical baboon, then you are allowed and encouraged to confiscate their headset.

If the prisoner is being a noisy chimpanzee beating himself with the shoes, you can throw him into isolation to calm him down.

If you think he might suicide while in isolation, then there is a handy straightjacket in the execution chamber just for cases like this.

Or you can just also give him an actual weapon to beat himself to death quickly.

This is for cases when the prisoners are a bunch of cackling brain-deadened monkeys with the only purpose in their short lives to cause as much cringeworthy trouble as possible.

Sounds like a good solution, thanks.

My main problem with suicides in Brig is the mess that is left there - you get the now-abandoned items littered everywhere and tons of blood you have no time to clean.

Plus, rotten bodies in cells aren't a cool sight for visitors.

Unless it was fixed in a new patch, Me and the HoS one round tried that after we killed a suspected Changeling CMO. It never worked, so we settled with leaving the head on a desk in the back, and buckled the burning copse of the CMO to a chair in the brig reception desk area. May have fixed impalements now, though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use