Seeking Suggestions - PDA's

Jack Fractal

Hi everyone!

I've been considering upgrading the security records system to provide more accountability and organization for security, but I plan on putting most of that functionality into the PDA and the PDA code right now is badly in need of a re-factoring. Before I do anything with the records I need to re-factor the PDAs.

So I want to hear what people think about PDAs. Do you use them? How often? What do you use them for?

Do you use the abilities available on your PDA for your role in the crew? Do you ever scan people with one as a doctor? Check people's rad-levels as an engineer? Do you ever use it to check medical or security records?

Do you send text messages? If so, how many per round?

They're a staple of SS13, but how well do you think they fit in with the rest of the game? Are they nicely anachronistic with their cartridge-based design? Are they too futuristic with their text-message functionality and multi-page ui? Do you use the flashlight? Scan paperwork? Use the pen? Do you ever install a potato uplink in one?

Have you ever removed a cartridge? Replaced one? Stolen one?

Is there something that you've always wished you could do? Is there something that just drives you nuts?

Do you like what they look like?

I'm also wondering what's the procedure for getting access to server logs. If I added logging functions to the existing PDA code before I re-factored them, I could pull out real information about how often they're used, and what they're used for, but only if people are ok with me getting those logs.

Can't wait for your overhaul.

As an atmos tech, it is vital for scanning canisters so you can tell what gas is inside them. One thing I wouldn't mind is being able to take records of scanned canisters, what it looked like, what was inside, ect ect.

Flashlight is always helpful.

Messenger gets a bit of use, it would be great to have it combined with the crew manifest (finding people on high pop is a nightmare) and allow for multiperson conversations.

Some kind of chatroom would also be fun.

Cart system is good and rather interesting, I don't really see a reason to just remove it. Haven't ever removed/replaced a cart though.

PDAs fit perfectly into the SS13...."theme" of everything being an unlogical mess! They are both completely outdated yet magically powerful.

No idea what a potato uplink is.

Fj, press Ctrl + F and then type the name you're looking for when using messenger.

And I think he's talking about a Traitor uplink, something only obtainable at the start of a round.

whenever i use the cargo mail system to sneak into somewhere, i usually come back with a stolen cartridge in my PDA and mess around with it.

usually a cartridge that controls little robots...yes beepsky im looking at you.

messaging people to start a gang is !!FUN!! same for being a RD that spys on conversations!

never scanned paperwork but as a geneticist i keep all my findings in the note section of the PDA, nobody checks there! even the detective!

i sometimes replace the default pen in the PDA with something fancier from the art vendor.

no idea what to suggest except supporting what will make it better, like that chat room function.

PDAs could access newscasters, for looking at news and uploading stories on the go!

You could add a shitty camera that doesn't print off pictures to it.

Needs to be able to access wetskrell.nt

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Very interesting to hear that you steal cartridges johannhawk. Is it just the security one, or do you also steal from cargo?

I do plan on adding newscaster functionality to the PDA's. It always hit me as a little silly that you couldn't do that.

I think I'll build a logging change-list first, and try to get that merged. There's some things that I'm definitely doing like combining the manifest/messenger/records system into one page, but I do love me some real data when I can get it.

Very interesting to hear that you steal cartridges johannhawk. Is it just the security one, or do you also steal from cargo?

here is how it usually goes down

1. wait for excuse to sneak into HoS office via mail system (usually when he is hated by all)

2. get in his office and flip some tables and pick up dat cartridge since all the other loot isnt as practical

optional step. crayon all the things

3. scoot out via disposals

i think step two is the reason i take it, but occasionally when looting dead corpses its pretty easy to score a useful cartridge without anyone noticing...nobody checks your PDA that much

I don't usually use my pda, except to check crew records to find someone. Do love flashlight though, and would Love to see newscaster support, and maybe some arcade games or an arcade games cartridge. I do like the features it has now though, and would love to see how this evolves.

on goonstation you can upgrade your PDA with a better flashlight or a T-ray scanner by ripping out the old board (screwdriver then crowbar) and replacing it.

you can also copy paste cartridge functions onto your PDA memory and vice versa (might need a empty cartridge).

get on goonstation and explore it, i think there is a cartridge vending machine somewhere there.

Right now I'm playing with the idea of having multiple cartridges per pda (max five? max depends on the build?).

Each function would be a different cartridge. So by default they'd all have the messenger cartridge that would give you messenger/manifest/notes stuff. They'd all also have a crappy flashlight cartridge and the cartridge for their job.

Then you insert extra cartridges for new stuff. So if you want a camera, you get a camera cartridge. If you want a video-game, you get a video-game cartridge. Cartridges are going to be removable by a screwdriver, and I think the HoP will start with either a vending machine for new cartridges or just a locker full of the common ones.

This opens up a lot of options. Off the top of my head:

• A 'hacker' cartridge for syndies that lets them send faked messages.

• Cartridges buildable by research or orderable from cargo that upgrade or extend existing functionality.

Better flashlights, secure coms, station-bounced messages, voice recorder, bomb trigger.

Cursed cartridges on cult rounds.

So there's a lotta things we can play with. The goal of the rewrite is to make it easy for other coders to add new cartridges when they come up with a good idea.

That sounds really good, should there be "base" carts that contain everything for a certain job (like they are now) and then the "addon" carts?

Being able to upgrade the flashlight and whatnot would be very helpful.

Right now I'm playing with the idea of having multiple cartridges per pda (max five? max depends on the build?).

Each function would be a different cartridge. So by default they'd all have the messenger cartridge that would give you messenger/manifest/notes stuff. They'd all also have a crappy flashlight cartridge and the cartridge for their job.

Then you insert extra cartridges for new stuff. So if you want a camera, you get a camera cartridge. If you want a video-game, you get a video-game cartridge. Cartridges are going to be removable by a screwdriver, and I think the HoP will start with either a vending machine for new cartridges or just a locker full of the common ones.

This opens up a lot of options. Off the top of my head:

• A 'hacker' cartridge for syndies that lets them send faked messages.

• Cartridges buildable by research or orderable from cargo that upgrade or extend existing functionality.

Better flashlights, secure coms, station-bounced messages, voice recorder, bomb trigger.

Cursed cartridges on cult rounds.

So there's a lotta things we can play with. The goal of the rewrite is to make it easy for other coders to add new cartridges when they come up with a good idea.

more cartridges but less slots please, due to unpractical inventory management.

here is a another idea, lets have a module board that is hardware (cartridges are softwares) that contains the flashlight function or the upgraded version or has more slots for cartridges.

PDAs start with module boards with basic flashlights or T-ray scanners for engineers (damn their hard hats)

Honestly, I don't like them as they currently are. I feel like many of their features are redundant and aren't actually necessary in the modern version of the game. I'd personally prefer a streamlined version with less, or more relevant, features.

more cartridges but less slots please, due to unpractical inventory management.

here is a another idea, lets have a module board that is hardware (cartridges are softwares) that contains the flashlight function or the upgraded version or has more slots for cartridges.

PDAs start with module boards with basic flashlights or T-ray scanners for engineers (damn their hard hats)

I like the cartridge idea because it lets you combine hard-ware and software into one object type. You can imagine that the flashlight is actually attached to the cartridge that controls it and sticks out. Same with the scanners.

I'm going to make sure that the carts are tiny objects (like, they fit six to a box that is ALSO tiny and can be put in a cardboard box), so that someone carrying around a few of these things doesn't burn all their inventory space.

Do you think that would alleviate their problem somewhat?

Honestly, I don't like them as they currently are. I feel like many of their features are redundant and aren't actually necessary in the modern version of the game. I'd personally prefer a streamlined version with less, or more relevant, features.

Maybe! That's what I want to get the log info for. I don't know how often people are using them or for what. I suspect that it's used rarely if at all, with the exception of the messenger which is used only infrequently.

But I don't know. Usage logs. This is a thing I want.

Even if some things are a bit pointless, COUGHNOTEKEEPERCOUGH, I don't really see the need to tear them out unless it effects other things.

Great idea, PDA surely could use some redesigning. It feels like half of what it does is incredible useful, while the other half doesn't do anything. Here's things I find useful and am probably making use of at least once a round:

• Messenger

• Crew Manifest

Gas Scanner (atmos)

Atmospherics Scan

Flashlight

The pen (easy access in case I'd like to fabricate some paperwork or something)

Haven't paid much attention to the notekeeper, the IC notes works fine and can't be lost or hijacked. Being able to edit notes is neat tho. Med scan is inferior to a health analyzer, which you should have access to anyways if you have that cartridge. Med/Sec records should be useful, but HUD glasses fills the essential uses (blood type check, arrest status).

There also seems to be some kind of css issue with the buttons. Other than that I quite like the multipage UI.

Even if some things are a bit pointless, COUGHNOTEKEEPERCOUGH, I don't really see the need to tear them out unless it effects other things.

Yeah I don't intend on completely removing things. I'm considering making the PDA more of a messaging and record keeping device then then the weird hybrid thing it is today. So for the scanners, you'd be able to wirelessly link your handheld scanners to your PDA, and then your PDA would record a log of what you scanned with that device, as well as when, and where. So as a Doctor, you'd have a record of your interactions with a particular patient, or as an Atmos tech you'd have records of the cans and rooms that you scanned.

For functionality that is rarely used, I might make them an optional module. Like, if you're the only person who uses the note functionality, then I might make a NoteKeeper module and stick it in the library or something.

While I like the sound of things being recorded, PLEASE do not make atmos techs carry handheld scanners! We already have a hell of a time keeping our gear in check and another vital tool will not help at all.

While I like the sound of things being recorded, PLEASE do not make atmos techs carry handheld scanners! We already have a hell of a time keeping our gear in check and another vital tool will not help at all.

I'll keep that in mind! The existing scanners range from completely useless (engineering) to extremely useful (atmos, apparently). Usually ending up around the 'I don't really use it' level.

I think that adding a map function would be useful to new players and people who generally have no idea where they are or are new to a department.

Thats a really good idea! Wonder if the suit sensor map would work for it.

Yes! Totally. That is a great idea. With a 'You are here' marker that moves as you walk around, so people can orient themselves.

I'm thinking of giving people relevant overlay maps as well. So engineering would get a power-overlay, which would show which areas of the station are powered, whether the engine is online, whether the solars are wired, that kind of thing, while atmospherics would get a atmosphere alert overlay, to show where vented or contaminated areas are.

That way, say, an atmos tech could guide people through unbreached areas, and engineers could figure out where damaged pipes and wires should get reconnected after a bomb.

I think a lot of things that irritate people in SS13 and cause anger and drama are caused by incomplete information. Providing better ways of accessing information would probably help everyone get less stressed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use