[MOVED] Make Spiders and Carp playable again.

block1

NEW THREAD FOCUSING ON THE SUPERIOR SPIDER. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3823

Let us respawn as them again, it's rare that either are spawned and now we can't even play as them anymore. The argument for disabling them is that players used it to grief, that's why we have engineers that can repair the windows they break. Regardless of whether a player is controlling the creature or not it can still break things.

Not to mention the wiki guides to both of these creatures have gone to waste because of this decision. They've been enabled for a long, long time and it's never been an issue. If someone is intentionally griefing the station as a creature than simply,

A. Ban them

or

B. Ban them from respawning as a creature

Don't take away the fun from everybody because of some griefers that use the creatures to destroy the place. They were very fun events and the damage that both of these creatures cause is not that severe and can be repaired.

Countering the argument that their entire existence revolved around griefing the station by depressurizing it is silly to say on a role-playing game as that's the straightforward answer without looking at the small details. The same can apply to xenomorphs, blobs, meteors or anything else capable of causing damage. They were a spice to the rounds and a way for ghosts to participate in the round again.

They both have lore behind them, mechanics and goals like any other creature. Spiders have a goal to reproduce and take over the station, carps have a goal of getting into the station and killing the crew.

Not to mention both of these creatures are extremely easy to kill and are much more difficult dealing with when a player ISN'T controlling them. (NPCs can follow you at the speed of light, constantly attack without fail and can warp all around you if someone clips into them.)

So in short, bring the spiders and carps back. They were a fun addition to rounds and allowed ghosties to do something other than spectate a round. They added more flavor to rounds and removing them is just a way of saying "no fun allowed" for the playerbase. Both of them were well-balanced, easily defeated and easy to repair any damage they caused. They both required strategizing and teamwork to both be and be against.

Ban anyone who uses them to intentionally grief the station instead of disabling it for the entire playerbase.

Thanks.

Edited by Guest

Non-player-controlled carp makes going into space when there's carp an absolute deathtrap as they don't generally attack the station if they don't see a target and will swarm you in groups of two or three. Whether this is intended or not is another matter.

AI carp are pretty griffy

On multiple occasions, I've seen them breaching the main air mix tank in atmos.

Same with Spiders.

AI spiders are the same. They attack players and then are killed and then the players die of toxins overdose.

Either way, I see no reason to not let players re-enter the round as carp or spiders.

Well, we do have jobbans for NPC's now. Spiders would be an option.

Big no-no to carps though. Since the event overhaul there's a chance of about 20 of them to spawn. They'd invade the station.

I would loathe to see this again. Spider event already is an end rounder most of the time, back then it was a definite round end with Playable spiders. Player carps would, as many many people said, just go to arrivals and escape and vent the area, then continue deeper into the station to further vent it. Nurse Spider players would also wait until the NPC spiders had killed someone and then make dozens of baby's where no one would get to them. As fun as it is, players weren't treating it as a fun way to come back, but rather forcing it to be a game mode in and of itself.

I would very much like more pets for ghosts to go in more then this honestly, Ghosts shouldn't have a such a big second chance to come back, particularly as Hostiles.

EDIT: Plus it's a very very shitty feeling for, say, a group of cultists find all their words and get ready to start converting when the round ends because player carp went to every window and broke it. Why should the people who FINNALY roll antag status have to lose it because someone they killed earlier gets to decide to ruin the game. As for "rarity" of the events, I see them very often, I don't understand how they are a rare thing at all.

Alright than bring back only spiders! Spiders had their own classes, mechanics and playstyles! Not bringing back carp is agreeable but at least let us have our spiders.

Spiders can be balanced out, perhaps Nurse Spiders get less health and egg sacs need a longer time to hatch.

I would loathe to see this again. Spider event already is an end rounder most of the time, back then it was a definite round end with Playable spiders. Player carps would, as many many people said, just go to arrivals and escape and vent the area, then continue deeper into the station to further vent it. Nurse Spider players would also wait until the NPC spiders had killed someone and then make dozens of baby's where no one would get to them. As fun as it is, players weren't treating it as a fun way to come back, but rather forcing it to be a game mode in and of itself.

I would very much like more pets for ghosts to go in more then this honestly, Ghosts shouldn't have a such a big second chance to come back, particularly as Hostiles.

EDIT: Plus it's a very very shitty feeling for, say, a group of cultists find all their words and get ready to start converting when the round ends because player carp went to every window and broke it. Why should the people who FINNALY roll antag status have to lose it because someone they killed earlier gets to decide to ruin the game. As for "rarity" of the events, I see them very often, I don't understand how they are a rare thing at all.

This---this to an insane, absolute "T". Also, since they're "antags" with no objectives--they're pretty much free to do whatever...and, not surprisingly, people would metagrudge with them. I still recall Bone White questioning a player "why did 3 carp just come after you, one after another for no reason at all?"

This also brings up issues with the spider ling ability; it feels shitty enough when an NPC spider attacks you, but when ling victims actively start wanting to player spiders just to get their twisted form of revenge? That's bad.

Very strongly opposed to this; it was removed for a reason.

This---this to an insane, absolute "T". Also, since they're "antags" with no objectives--they're pretty much free to do whatever...and, not surprisingly, people would metagrudge with them. I still recall Bone White questioning a player "why did 3 carp just come after you, one after another for no reason at all?"

This also brings up issues with the spider ling ability; it feels shitty enough when an NPC spider attacks you, but when ling victims actively start wanting to player spiders just to get their twisted form of revenge? That's bad.

Very strongly opposed to this; it was removed for a reason.

And if a ling victim becomes a spider purely to get revenge on their killer it's called metagaming, which is bannable. Case closed? You shouldn't take away a feature because of some bad-apples. A lot of people, especially me, enjoyed playing the creature and playing my role, not abusing it to grief or to meta-game.

If it's such a big problem why not introduce whitelisting to be these creatures? At least everyone will be happy that way.

And if a ling victim becomes a spider purely to get revenge on their killer it's called metagaming, which is bannable. Case closed? You shouldn't take away a feature because of some bad-apples. A lot of people, especially me, enjoyed playing the creature and playing my role, not abusing it to grief or to meta-game.

If it's such a big problem why not introduce whitelisting to be these creatures? At least everyone will be happy that way.

Assuming he even gets caught; it's fairly easy to gloss over when there's 5+ of the buggers and said person also tries to attack someone else; it looks legit and there's a 100% perfect excuse, too. And when features gets 50% of the time or more, then you should start questioning if the feature is a good one, or not; the amount of abuse that players engaged in with spiders and especially carp was incredibly incredibly high; a good number of people literally just went around breaking windows because they could.

Assuming he even gets caught; it's fairly easy to gloss over when there's 5+ of the buggers and said person also tries to attack someone else; it looks legit and there's a 100% perfect excuse, too. And when features gets 50% of the time or more, then you should start questioning if the feature is a good one, or not; the amount of abuse that players engaged in with spiders and especially carp was incredibly incredibly high; a good number of people literally just went around breaking windows because they could.

Would there be a possibility of just whitelisting the feature so at least the regulars can play them without the worry of griefing? It's understandable for carp because they have no real objective other than break a window, kill crew, repeat.

With spiders it's a different story. It requires a lot more coordination and teamwork, you need guard spiders to defend nursing spiders, hunters to incapacitate crew and bring them to a nurse spider and advance like that. Hunters are weak so they need to use tactics such as breaking a light and waiting for a lone crewmember to pass by, nurse spiders are rarer so you need to be extra cautious and etc.

Spiders have a lot of mechanics behind them to be victorious and it's pretty disappointing that because of some people that abuse the creature that it's disabled for everyone.

The best outcome is whitelisting the creatures and players have to apply and an admin has to okay it and to prevent havoc from players just charging, dying, and respawning you can simply have a two-minute cooldown when you die so you can't immediately respawn again.

It evens it out for both the spiders and the crew.

For me personally, I really enjoyed playing as a spider. I even spent an hour on the wiki making an entire guide on how to play them properly. Me along with others played the creature fairly and properly and tried to make it a balanced and fun experience.

this all sounds like a lot of effort for something everybody hates and is purely a killing role that is done better by roles that have entire game modes centered around them

I'm sure it's a lot of work and hours of stress to enable a white-list for something. Not everybody hates it, spiders aren't a purely killing role.. they require expanding, hiding and teamwork to win. Disabling carp is understandable, spiders it isn't.

Xenos have a similar way of playing. Plant weeds, hide, kill, repeat.

Blobs have a similar way of playing. Plant structures and walls, have a good hiding spot, expand, kill, repeat.

It's not fair to disable an entire playable mob because some people used it to grief.

[snip-d'aawww]

OhmyEmprah that's so cuuuuuteeee, look at her little body and oversized legs, adorable. <3

Also, relevant:

This 097046adac.jpg plus 14 monkeys = b0e83ba26e.jpg

(ignore the pine trees, fat bastards trying to plug in)

And yes, that dead spider in there is the first "friendly" nurse who was brutally murdered euthanized by her firstborns.

[snip-d'aawww]

OhmyEmprah that's so cuuuuuteeee, look at her little body and oversized legs, adorable. <3

Also, relevant:

This 097046adac.jpg plus 14 monkeys = b0e83ba26e.jpg

(ignore the pine trees, fat bastards trying to plug in)

And yes, that dead spider in there is the first "friendly" nurse who was brutally murdered euthanized by her firstborns.

Nice!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use