Making aim mode less OP.

Spacemanspark

Aim mode is currently REALLY irritating, especially with instastun.

My suggestion:

-Allow you to aim at someone, but no more than painting the target sign on them, and gives them a message that they're being aimed at.

-Remove forcing someone to walk mode.

Keeping this would allow someone to aim and easily keep track of their target if they move, but they still have to click on them to shoot.

This also allows us to keep the whole 'get down on the ground, I'm being serious.' RP area with security.

Thoughts?

ATTENTION: Forced walk mode is gone.

Edited by Guest

re: removing forcing someone to walk mode, you can just toggle it off.

Perhaps a better option would be to just extend the time before the lock activates (currently 2 seconds iirc)

I'm not in favor of a change, but I just wanted to share my thoughts.

re: removing forcing someone to walk mode, you can just toggle it off.

While this is certainly true, I think there's still room for abuse - repeatedly Aiming at someone to keep them toggling walk/run so you can catch up in a chase, for example.

Related: The force-your-target-to-walk thing about Aim Mode always struck me as strange. It'd be akin to being able to toggle someone to help intent by saying "help me!" or setting someone's energy gun from kill to stun by screaming "mercy!"

It should simply tell your target that they are being aimed at. Nothing else. No aimbot, no toggling walk mode.

That's exactly what Spark is insinuating it would be, with one additional caveat; it would paint the reticle on you as well to make it a bit more obvious than just a red flavortext message of "YOU'RE BEING TARGETED".

I am okay with what you have said. I rarely use aim mode, mostly during a group raid so that we can pin down the criminals (or at least show that). If you have enough guns to cover everyone, you gain a powerful psychological weapon. I mainly see the aim mode as such. Also - it looks really cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/789 It's a start.

This just removes setting someone to walk mode and back.

Unfortunately, it turns out that bee code is actually reliant on Targeting code, so I really don't want to touch that, because I'm very inexperienced.

Not sure if this post is still relevant but i just want to add that i think it's wrong to remove the forced slow (which you could just turn to run again anyway).

It's a tool to tell someone: "Hey, i could just have shot you with this click but i am giving you the option to surrender".

If you remove that slow, this option is no longe viable because they would just continue running to gain distance on you. Hence this whole game mechanic becomes useless, except for maybe some heavy RP situations, where both sides already silently agreed upon not to rely on game mechanics but on RP. I hope that makes sense.

In short:

The slow is a game mechanic to allow for some talking (writing) without your target just rushing off the screen. It should stay!

That's not how it's used, however.

All I ever see it used for is to slow someone into walk mode, back out of aim mode, and then shoot at their target directly.

It might work better on Baystation or other medium/ heavy RP servers, but it doesn't work here.

Aim mode will eventually just become an overlay anyways, so this is merely the first step.

I disagree with removing any functionality to aim mode. If you remove autoshooting, it has no purpose and prevents its main purpose:hostages.

I do agree that the aimfreeness should be removed: My suggestion is that aim mode only fires one shot, then takes the user out of aim mode. That way, you still have to click for each shot fired, while not removing actual functionality.

Autoshooting. See, you name my number one problem with aim mode. It's literally an aimbot. You select a target, and there you go, now they are 100% fucked, because you are guaranteed to hit them. It's intended for a heavyRP playstyle, which we simply don't have. If I understand spaceman right, you can still keep hostages, you just need to actually pay a little bit of attention and not have a literal robot controlling your fire. The downside of.. well fuck, any game, is that you have to know how to aim/literally click on something/someone.

The main issue is: Take out autoshoot, what's left? Aiming at someone can be emoted (and wouldn't be respected by a good portion of players if it wasn't guaranteed they'd get shot), and all the other functions rely on autoshoot.

Kill it or keep it,just don't maim it.

That is the plan, Kei has stated that multiple times. They are a novice coder.

At some point in time aim mode will simply be a targeting icon, nothing more.

This.

That is the plan, Kei has stated that multiple times. They are a novice coder.

At some point in time aim mode will simply be a targeting icon, nothing more.

This.

And i allways thought this forum was meant to discuss stuff and possibly make changes to how things are or are supposed to be. Seems like a pretty weak way to try to end such a discussion.

I never stated discussion was over.

I never had the thread locked.

I never said "Fuck you and your opinion.".

What I /have/ stated is that aim mode is very shitty (at least here.) and I intend to fix that.

Having an instant "I win" button is shit. Especially with instastun.

It's not being removed completely, just turned into an overlay so it can only be used for pure RP reasons.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use