Expeditionary Force.

Arthur_Dayne

The away missions are quite fun, with crew often flocking to the gateway to join the team. The only problem with this is that it takes away members of security and command to go on these missions. I'd like to suggest a new job, ideally a karma purchase, called Expeditionary Force member or something of the like.

Because of the dangerous nature of the away missions, and the presence of a vacuum could lead to sudden death. I suggest that the gateway has a locker with some special softsuits, coloured a dark green and marked with some special symbols to designate the holder as a member of the away team. Alright, so the team has EVA gear, but what happens when they come through and meet the local flora and fauna? They'll need a weapon in the case they're hostile. TG has those mining weapons, for killing the asteroid monsters, these could be useful for our little crew. In the case that those might be too powerful, a combat knife could suffice. Don't forget a seclite! Lastly, our team is going through for a reason, they could have an objective to bring back an artifact, or some other bit of the location.

That's the whole mess of a paragraph I've written, I'm open for additional suggestions as how to change it, and I'm going to just summarize everything if it's tl:dr.

Ideal karma cost:15-30.

Spawn Point: Gateway.

Access: Gateway, EVA.

Comes wearing: Combat Gloves (They're insulated, same ones as the Blueshield starts with.), normal radio headset, jackboots, and a special uniform. (Maybe just the sec uniform or a NT Navy uniform)

Armaments: EVA softsuit, Proto-Kinetic Accelerator, seclite, multitool.

Purpose: Explore what lies beyond the gateway, bring back goodies.

How many slots?:2-3.

Edited by Guest

I support this idea.

Going to add that the lockers be locked for obvious reasons only accessible to the team and maybe the Captain (cause all-access).

Would also recommend they start off with tools to open doors and special gloves ( protection against some elements) or at the very least insulated gloves so they don't kill themselves opening doors unless you wish to give them the know how of the wires and purposes.

I support this idea.

Going to add that the lockers be locked for obvious reasons only accessible to the team and maybe the Captain (cause all-access).

Would also recommend they start off with tools to open doors and special gloves ( protection against some elements) or at the very least insulated gloves so they don't kill themselves opening doors unless you wish to give them the know how of the wires and purposes.

Added.

People who still want to go on the Gateway missions still can though, yes?

I believe, Of course, though that would neglect of duty and an IC issue. Civilians can probably come along without any IC repercussions but unless there's a good reason, there shouldn't be too good of a reason for people to leave their jobs to explore, especially if they're a head.

The whole point of the away mission is for the crew itself to do something, having a special job assigned too it (with overpowered gear no less compared too the rest of security) will cause two things, an away mission team doubeling as security+ as soon as they find out the away mission is the beach one or things like that.

and secondly the away missions being taken by them instead of the crew who are supposed to prepare for an expedition like this etc.

The whole point of the away mission is for the crew itself to do something, having a special job assigned too it (with overpowered gear no less compared too the rest of security) will cause two things, an away mission team doubeling as security+ as soon as they find out the away mission is the beach one or things like that.

and secondly the away missions being taken by them instead of the crew who are supposed to prepare for an expedition like this etc.

I hardly think it's overpowered, they proto-kinetic accelerator is very weak outside a vacuum and the softsuits can be easily acquired. The whole reason I suggested this is so experienced players are the ones going through, as well as non-vital roles. (Command and security often make up the bulk of the team, making it so it's much harder for anyone who remains to function normally.) The crew can still normally come, but not the important roles, (Paramedic, Civilian, Cargo Technician are some good examples of team members outside the main 2-3.) I doubt they can really work as security. They aren't loyalty implanted and all they have is a softsuit and a weak weapon.

I agree with this. Civilians that are normally a hazard flock to this sort of thing.

I would agree with an Expeditionary Team Leader, or something.

I agree with this. Civilians that are normally a hazard flock to this sort of thing.

I would agree with an Expeditionary Team Leader, or something.

I could be fine with Team Leader, I just want to have a gateway specific job.

Personally I think they shouldn't be able to. There are waaay too many people going on expeditions at the moment and sometimes security is left with only half a team.

Personally I think they shouldn't be able to. There are waaay too many people going on expeditions at the moment and sometimes security is left with only half a team.

The point of the gateway is for people to go through it. If you're saying only a small team of people should be able to go through and just loot everything, then that entirely takes away the point of the gateway.

A team of people who are trained to go through it would be nice, but no, everyone should be allowed through.

Also, we have a beach gateway mission, so that kind of proves my point.

I'm fully behind this.

More than tired of having the demote the HoS when playing Captain for jumping through the Gateway and letting the station go to hell, or twiddling my thumbs as the HoS as the Captain runs through the gateway WITH THE FUKKEN DISK.

Had a round where we blobbed and the disk was in the xeno-infested gateway. Then the aliens came out of the gateway.

Then we had a Death Squad, and they got ownt.

And I still didn't have the FUKKEN DISK >:(

Given the fact the hype HAS died down I think this sort of Karma job suits for the station now, rather than the notion that everyone has to appease the fucking AI before getting to go on the away mission

• 2 months later...

Reviving this because I know there's a lot of people out there who still go through the gateway, but often have to go through a rather annoying process to get there. Personally, I would do it more if it wasn't so damn hard to actually get there. Any thoughts on how to make it better/other ideas?

Actually I like the idea of dedicated Expeditionary Team Members. 2-3 Full time members, though we should have lockers and equipment for up to 6-8 members that can be drawn from the regular crew; Sec Members, Scientists/Analysts, Medical. Even Engineers and Assistants can all play a role, and evening assigning Cyborg/Android to scout the place or assist how ever it's module can. Designating a leader as a Karma role is iffy to me, since they would be part of science to begin with and fall under purview of the Research Director, putting one role 'higher' than the other through Karma just seems like asking for trouble, it'd be like making head roles (even the Quartermaster) all Karma required.

I don't get to play with the Expedition Much, most of the time it's Xenos or bust. Or when I'm HoP people are costantly asking to be on a team when the RD/Captain hasn't even sanctioned or decided if we SHOULD send out a team, having a group of guys who can probe and fiddle with the gateway to determine if it's something worth looking into sounds good, hell the gateway could even be moved to Science wing (where it belongs, really.)

Now that the Gateway missions have been here for quite some time, I've formed a revised opinion. Gateway missions have already become somewhat stale, IMO, most experienced players know exactly what to expect. Because of this I think a permanent expedition team would become fairly meta and essentially "Go in, avoid X, loot Y, go to the exit."

Perhaps, if Gateway missions were given random loot/hazard spawn or a few more were created it wouldn't be a bad idea, but it currently seems unnecessary.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use