Paradise solarium

andrewmeythaler

Recently I have been spending my time harassing the nice people over at Goon station over what the fuck the Solarium is. I still frankly have no idea, they were very vague, but I am in love with it. The mystery, intrigue, and puzzle solving. It's pretty fucking awesome and I wish we had something similar.

Some grand mystery that would take months to figure out. With only a few clues to get the community started they would search and search for more. Using skills from a variety of positions over many many shifts eventually they would figure it out and reveal something grand.

tl'dr: solarium plz.

i have some goon experience so i COULD explain...here goes. i was playing my old character Leo Smith.

we decided to go on telesci adventures to visit all the fun locations...apparently most of those locations are related to the solarium in some way. you are supposed to collect items from each location. use items from one location to do indiana jones stuff in the other. if you are fast enough you MIGHT have enough specific items to do solarium stuff.

...if you do the solarium wrong the server gets a red filter and a static background topped of with a BDOS screen...then the next round starts...but something is wrong and radio is down and the ''centcomm investigation team'' need to survive and call the shuttle.

like typical goonstation. people keep secrets to themselves.

edit: when you get back the station has already gone to shit.

edit 2: get a original name other than solarium.

i have some goon experience so i COULD explain...here goes. i was playing my old character Leo Smith.

we decided to go on telesci adventures to visit all the fun locations...apparently most of those locations are related to the solarium in some way. you are supposed to collect items from each location. use items from one location to do indiana jones stuff in the other. if you are fast enough you MIGHT have enough specific items to do solarium stuff.

...if you do the solarium wrong the server gets a red filter and a static background topped of with a BDOS screen...then the next round starts...but something is wrong and radio is down and the ''centcomm investigation team'' need to survive and call the shuttle.

See I really like this, because A) people are dissuaded from spilling the beans because it could lead to shit being fucked up, and because even if they know how to do it, it's really hard.

See I really like this, because A) people are dissuaded from spilling the beans because it could lead to shit being fucked up, and because even if they know how to do it, it's really hard.

We were actually shown by a goon admin a way to keep things secret in our code even being opened source, but that open it's own can of worms about "open source" and having things open to the public from a coders standpoint.

We were actually shown by a goon admin a way to keep things secret in our code even being opened source, but that open it's own can of worms about "open source" and having things open to the public from a coders standpoint.

Is it possible for the admins to see things that are attempting to hide?

Open source+puzzles/secrets = solved the day after it's released--sadly.

this, sadly, I mean, is it possible to liscence part of the code differently, if it's written completely from scratch?

Probably, I guess we can just create parts of the code to be hidden from github, but it would defeat the purpose of open source

Open source+puzzles/secrets = solved the day after it's released--sadly.

this, sadly, I mean, is it possible to liscence part of the code differently, if it's written completely from scratch?

Probably, I guess we can just create parts of the code to be hidden from github, but it would defeat the purpose of open source

I don't think people would mind if it was that awesome

I am kinda on the hype train for this. I was a big runescape fan back in the day and puzzles keep me going. I don't think people would mind if a complex solarium code piece was redacted from viewable open source. It would give players the chance to take a look at something quite large and test the metal of the most seasoned player. You could even put it over in science south of toxins. +1 for SPACE PUZZLER

I am kinda on the hype train for this. I was a big runescape fan back in the day and puzzles keep me going. I don't think people would mind if a complex solarium code piece was redacted from viewable open source. It would give players the chance to take a look at something quite large and test the metal of the most seasoned player. You could even put it over in science south of toxins. +1 for SPACE PUZZLER

It would be so awesome!

This is impossible now with the new /TG/ licensing though, very sad news

Explain this to the layman

Basically TG switched from GPLv3 to AGPLv3 license for their code; without being overly complex here, AGPLv3 closes a loophole that allows people to take TG's code and go closed source with it. We're free to use and port over TG code in the future, provided we adhere to one thing; that we stay open source--I talked with TG directly to make sure we were on the right side of the law and their own community. The alternative is that we are closed source, but actively have to provide the source code to anyone who can connect to the server if they request it (a pain in the butt).

I'm sorry if that's too wordy or isn't clear enough; if you want me to clarify further, let me know.

I'm not sure if this means we can have a line or two hidden here and there or not, but...quite frankly that's not really a slope I feel is good to go down--and the general nature of secrets is, they get revealed and spread around just as much so as if they were open source anyway; hell, even Goon's flagship stereotypical secret chem (Initropidril) is publicly posted on SA now.

I believe best for puzzles/chemicals/etc to be difficult to make/complete/do rather than difficult to discover in terms of overall balance, because inevitably, if secrecy is used to balance something, that secret will get leaked eventually, then you end up having to nerf the thing itself or go with the "difficulty in doing the thing" route anyway.

I'm not saying we can't have fun loot spots (like Dave's syndi outpost) or that we can't have fun away mission or puzzles to figure out, they just won't be closed source and will likely be difficult in approach rather than difficult in solving.

We really do need a new away mission, now that I think about it.

More than ok with this; this will solve a lot of game balance issues as well.

Let's brain storm, where would it go? Personally I would like to see it have the option of multiple locations.

Okay so there was some talk a while back about some mechanics of being re spawned as a villager on a away mission. that is a thing

another would be some dank ass treasure for science to work together to get using a super new away mission. Combine the skills of xenoarch,xenobio,robotics,r&d, telesci,and toxins to make some badass dungeon style away missions.

We could transport to the slime home world

Vox Shoal could be a possibility.

GO TO THE WIZARD FEDERATION HEADQUARTERS (PLZ YES)

Okay so there was some talk a while back about some mechanics of being re spawned as a villager on a away mission. that is a thing

another would be some dank ass treasure for science to work together to get using a super new away mission. Combine the skills of xenoarch,xenobio,robotics,r&d, telesci,and toxins to make some badass dungeon style away missions.

We could transport to the slime home world

Vox Shoal could be a possibility.

GO TO THE WIZARD FEDERATION HEADQUARTERS (PLZ YES)

I really like this idea, as it could be used in conjuction with the proposed lore changes. Getting to go and see the world's of each race would be neat.

The dungeon design would be tough, and getting it to utilize the combined might of the station is even harder. However, the dungeon should still be passable without it, but it should unlock more content. This way unprepared players are not trapped foforever and experienced players are not too bored.

I really liked some of the environmental puzzles of the clown planet (Ice doors) but they were a tad too easy.

When thinking of away missions/dungeons I think it is important to keep in mind what assets we have already.

- We have beach assets that are only used in the holodeck that would make a cool ocean/beach world.

- Sand and Sand stone for a dessert

- Grass and trees for some kind of forrest thing

- Snow and Ice for a cold planet with better balance and design than the clown planet

- A variety of NPC monsters that are only used in anomaly events. This includes: Samaks, Space bears, Hivebots, Goldgrubs, drones, and more. Each could be placed occasionally in each dungeon to create some atmosphere, and challenge.

A focus on dungeon design would also help the balance issues associated with the clown planet. Currently lings and vamps can go and use it as a one stop shop for powering up (assuming ththe admins don't see). The dungeons would keep items of power out of the hands of greytide, and in the hands of those who work for and earn the loot.

Had a puzzle idea.

Imagine there was an abandoned telescience lab in the dungeon. The pieces for it are scattered about the dungeon, many of which are guarded by monsters. As they begin to piece it together and get it operational they would realize they are short several bluespace crystals. With only one in the machine they would notice some new GPS units. One would be in range of the weakened teleporter, the other very far away. The one in range would be the gateway/teleporter back to the station, and the other would be the harder part of the dungeon. Meaning they would have to go back and work with the station to get more crystals.

Maybe, just MAYBE, we could find out a way to somehow randomize it, kind of like certain other games do...

A good example would be Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Every floor is completely randomized, never the same no matter how many times you travel through the same dungeon.

Don't know how badass someone would have to be to code that, though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use