Sec Pod Pilot Quality of Life adjustments

Sheakhan

Just a few things I think the Pod Pilot needs:

1. A damned tool belt. He starts with tools for working on his pod, but if you plan on doing long range recon or extended patrols you're boned unless you want to take up valuable backpack space with your crowbar and power cell.

2. Remove JetPack OR make it an exo-suit attachable version. If I recall correctly there is an O2 jetpack that serves as both internals and mobility and can be attached like an O2 tank. If you want the jetpack as a sec pod pilot you have to choose to either wear your security belt, not carry any tools, and leave your backup power cell behind OR you can choose to carry a tool belt (if you snag one fast enough) and not have any security related equipment. I know the JetPack is designed to be worn in the back slot, but for this particular job it makes more sense to just carry a fire extinguisher and hope you never need it.

3. Pod weapons need more variety and utility. I'm sure there are efforts being made to eventually add new weapon options for the pod via R&D/Robotics but right now the only weapons you get are absolutely 100% useless except in the most unlikely of circumstances. The pod tasers cannot shoot through windows, and have no effect on other pods, drones, space carp, or turrets. The only time I can see them being useful is if some chucklenut is playing the EVA game, or if you randomly stumble across the nukeops in transit. I'd recommend either letting the taser short out machines so it can be useful in dealing with other pods and drones or be buffed to shoot through windows so it can be used to subdue criminals while an interior sec team moves to make the arrest. I would also like to see something like an E-Gun weapon for the pods at some point, allowing for stun/kill options with more versatility.

5. Pod Storage. You could alleviate issues 1 & 2 by simply allowing players to store a few items in the pod, either through a UI like the backpack, or through the same functionality that keeps track of the power cell and weapon system.

6. Shift+Clicking and right click examining don't work while piloting the pod, which can make for some issues when trying to identify personnel through windows, or when trying to examine points of interest in space.

7. Navigation. I'm not sure what it entails, but holy crap, the pod pilot needs a way to get back to the station reliably. Any self-respecting aerospace engineer would include a navigations system in anything they built. It's vital. Maybe allow a UI option to set the destination so that the next Z-Level transition is to wherever you've set your navigation computer to. Fly in one direction, BAM you're at your destination. Give the pod a few options for preset destinations (but not everything, some things should be discovered by chance) and improve the quality of life for sec pilots everywhere.

I +1 this thread. I enjoy my sec pod pilot more so than most other jobs and feel it could be a VERY robust thing to play.

With that said I would want to see a focus on available/build-able things for it like those cargo slots or new guns.

Right now a good listing I would put for pod pilot would be:

Laser module in sec armory for the craft. (maybe delta level version for like photon attachment?)

Cargo module either included or build-able by r&d

Tool storage unit (for those mid flight battery changes) OR toolbelt

A more accurate shooting system (ie like mechs can)

attachable oxygen tanks to create a base pod atmosphere for when you don't have a hard suit

a specialty hard suit made for mechanics and a sec version for pod pilot where you can attach thrusters or something of equivalence for zero grave space movement.

Finally something I have wanted more than anything being able to navigate via a r&d built telesciencewizardry based gps.

with that said nice to see someone other than me gives some love to pod pilot. I play that and blueshield 99.99999 percent of the time and have fallen in love with it. You are literally your own squad if you have medical, and engineering experience.

Also if admins do approve ANY of this I willl sprite that shit out so quick your little eyes would spin.

True.

Some of the issues mentioned herein aren't subject to that issue, however.

Additionally, upon reflection, space needs more Pod relevant stuff. More carps, wandering drones, a way to destroy those goddamned machine gun turrets before they ruin the pod or kill the unwary sec pod pilot.

• 2 weeks later...

All of this. I play Sec Pod Pilot predominately and probably the first 10 minutes is spent rushing to the Autodrobe and hoping a toolbelt has spawned, grabbing tools, and if not running over to cargo and begging them profusely for a toolbelt and welder as they laugh and tell me to "get a form stamped by the HoS" for my toolbelt.

I generally hold my backpack in my hand if I decide to use a jetpack, or I carry around packs of cigarettes to throw myself around in space with.

Going/exploring anything as a sec pod pilot requires a full kit of tools and insulated gloves. While spawning in close to the Drobe (and silver coin) gives you a distinct advantage, you're more or less stuck on the station for the entire round if you can't get insulated gloves and tools (Which nobody will give you half the time if you miss your chance).

The equipment adjustment could easily be balanced by removing the pilot's hardsuit and replacing it with a voidsuit (Though I don't think that's entirely necessary, personally.)

Also requesting that the Pod Pilot spawns with a Sec Hud.

I have no idea why they don't.

You don't really need the toolbelt.

Just head back when you need to make repairs.

Here's how I set it up:

Jetpack on back, emergency oxygen tank in pocket, handcuffs in pocket, secbelt on the belt slot (With stun baton, handcuffs x1, flash, pepperspray, and one flashbang.),and my taser on the exosuit slot (With maglite attached, of course.).

I kind of wish we had portable jetpacks that we could fit into our bags, sort of like nuke ops, but I guess you can't have everything. It would make it so you could carry around a toolbelt and a few spare batteries, though...

Also requesting that the Pod Pilot spawns with a Sec Hud.

I have no idea why they don't.

Er... there should be one in the locker in the pod pilot room?

Going back to fix the pod is well and fine, but when you're ordered to head out to find the DJ station to apprehend a criminal spewing anti-NT propaganda, you'll run into a couple of issues: The first being the complete inability to navigate space (in a futuristic setting where such things would be necessary to, say, placing a giant corporate research station in space), and the second being that entering the DJ station, or exploring areas you do encounter is impossible without either all-access, or a toolbelt with a full array of tools.

Add onto that the guaranteed death that greets you if you run into the syndicate hideout due to the pod's inability to deal with the turrets, your lack of defense against the odd Space Carp or hostile escaped criminal, and your lack of ability to reliably head back to the station in the event that shit goes south and you've got a neglected security officer whose only useful contribution to a round is -possibly- noticing illegal shit happening through windows on the outside of the station and reporting it in as he stands ill-equipped to dispense justice on his own.

Pod Pilot is an awesome job still, but lacks several things that I would consider necessary to make the job actually functional and useful to the crew and station.

It's fun, but ultimately pointless.

I kinda like having to go back to the podbay to do some maintenance on the pod...

That is what I want when pods end up in a finished state, basic emergency repairs should be possible but being able to recharge the pod to full with a single powercell is pretty unbalanced and unfun.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use