The Great BS Plasma Leak

TullyBBurnalot

The shift started out rather nicely. Near a hundred people working aboard the station, only the occasional murder and maiming and a CE that was kind enough to leave Atmos alone as long as we didn't blow apart half the station.

And to top it all off, lovely Rose Le Blanc was my Atmos partner, and I spent the first twenty minutes feeling incredibly useful teaching her how Atmosia worked. Everything went perfectly fine, and nothing wrong was going to ever happen.

Ever.

And then someone yells "Cult in Chapel!". I instinctively grab my multitool and pull out the fire axe, sending a PDA message to Rose, warning her to get something to defend herself. As befitting a proper Atmosian, she grabbed the crowbar from her toolbelt and displayed the most terrifying grin while wielding it.

Brought a tear to my eye, it did.

And so the station falls to paranoia. Cult here, cult there, cult everywhere. In the meantime, my CE (the one and only Kitachi, bless his Voxy soul) was asking me for super-cooled plasma, and I had fun rewiring the system to make it happen.

I would come to rue the day I came out of Atmospherics when I did. Outside Engineering, speaking to the CE, was the Blueshield. Coming (supposedly) with orders from Command, he asked me for a canister full of plasma. I was a bit apprehensive, but I wasn't about to doubt the Blueshield when he says he's acting on orders, and the CE was fine with it.

So I left the super-cooled plasma with the CE and went back to get another canister, this one at room temperature. I gave it to the Blueshield and almost immediately ahelped to let our lords and masters know sh*t was probably going to hit the fan.

After a minor leak of unknown origins in the Permabrig, the Captain came down to Atmos to demand answers, at which point I told him the system was not wired to allow external tampering (ie, removed the mix-to-distro pump), which somehow made the Captain suspect me less.

Acting on my well-warranted paranoia, I told the Captain about the Blueshield's plasma antics.

He was perfectly fine with it. I could feel chills going down my spine.

Rose PDAs me a message stating she's getting firefighting gear. Bless her heart.

Five minutes.

Ten minutes.

Suddenly, someone calls out that the "lambs have been sacrificed". Thirty seconds later, everything from the Permabrig to the HoP's office is on fire with Red Alerts on the Atmos Computer.

(at this point, I issued a formal complaint against myself in ahelp)

Final Situation: All atmos alarms were successfully dealt with (even the Permabrig, with proper repairs), but Atmos was left with piping pressures exceeding 10000Kpa and temperatures upwards of 5000 ºC (without even panic syphoning) that would've probably taken the better part of a shift to de-clog. Thank my lucky stars the shuttle was called, because by that point I was surprised I hadn't been banned yet.

Long Story Short: don't give non-Atmos personnel anything from Atmos.

I, uh, may have been the one who hooked up the plasma canister when the Blueshield brought it in, and the Head of Security said we were going to execute the permabrig prisoners.

At first, I thought we had done well, as they were just dying of toxins damage. Perfect, and clean.

Then, to my horror, a fire starts and everyone is wiped out. Security, the cult, everything.

Deadchat, for the most part, found it hilarious. I earned two karma (Why. WHY.). And they compared it to a concentration camp gone wrong.

I still have no idea how the fire started.

Lesson learned, don't hook up plasma to the permabrig.

Also, it WAS hilarious. I knew from the second I gave the Blueshield that canister that THAT EXACT THING would happen, which is why I ahelped it to warn the admins beforehand. For his part, Dave could only stare in disbelief as to why in hell I would ever give him the canister.

The response?

"But Command was fine with it"

Nuremberg defense, go!

The prisoners were stripped and only had orange jumpsuits when we tossed them in.

The lights were also already busted, so I know it wasn't that.

I admit, I laughed my ass off, but I was horrified as hell while it was happening.

AI bolted the doors, but didn't shock them, a few officers were standing right next to them.

I guess it's a mystery that we will never solve.

Unless an admin happens to know.

Fun fact, I actually nearly made it out, as a Tajara, had I not stayed behind about twenty seconds more to try and figure out a way to get some of the other officers out of the brig lobby after I had managed to get out (meanwhile they're all screaming at me to run.).

Bit of atmos advice:

NOBODY EVER needs a canister of plasma.

NOTHING EVER good comes out of giving people cans of plasma.

DO NOT EVER make canisters of plasma!

DO NOT EVER COOL PLASMA.

DO NOT EVER KEEP ATMOS SETUP TO MAKE CANISTERS OF PLASMA.

DO NOT EVER LET ANYONE ATTEMPT TO USE PLASMA TO EXECUTE PEOPLE.

NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN THE HISTORY OF SPACE TRAVEL HAS EVER NEEDED A CANISTER OF PLASMA FOR GOOD.

If you are CRAZY and make canisters of plasma, ensure that atmos is properly setup to handle the ensuring plasma fire! If you do not know how to this, LEARN before giving out canisters of plasma!

If the bluesec is threatening to beat your skull in unless you give them some gas either:

A: Get robust

B: Give them a can of CO2! NOT COOLED, NOT HOT AND AS ALL LITTLE GAS YOU CAN GET IN THERE WHILE STILL HAVING THE GREEN LIGHT.

In fact, NEVER make cans of anything that won't stay inside atmos! A can of firefighting mix in atmos is a good idea. A can of firefighting mix in emergency storage is how everyone has their lungs frozen!

A can of anesthetic for medbay will ALWAYS be opened!

Any can you give to science will always end with them fucking something up! They fuck EVERYTHING up! ALWAYS!

When people do fuckup and kill everyone with extreme stupidity, LAUGH AT THEM OVER THE RADIO. TAUNT THEIR GHOSTS. DESECRATE THEIR BODIES.

Bit of atmos advice:

NOBODY EVER needs a canister of plasma.

NOTHING EVER good comes out of giving people cans of plasma.

DO NOT EVER make canisters of plasma!

DO NOT EVER COOL PLASMA.

DO NOT EVER KEEP ATMOS SETUP TO MAKE CANISTERS OF PLASMA.

DO NOT EVER LET ANYONE ATTEMPT TO USE PLASMA TO EXECUTE PEOPLE.

NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN THE HISTORY OF SPACE TRAVEL HAS EVER NEEDED A CANISTER OF PLASMA FOR GOOD.

If you are CRAZY and make canisters of plasma, ensure that atmos is properly setup to handle the ensuring plasma fire! If you do not know how to this, LEARN before giving out canisters of plasma!

If the bluesec is threatening to beat your skull in unless you give them some gas either:

A: Get robust

B: Give them a can of CO2! NOT COOLED, NOT HOT AND AS ALL LITTLE GAS YOU CAN GET IN THERE WHILE STILL HAVING THE GREEN LIGHT.

In fact, NEVER make cans of anything that won't stay inside atmos! A can of firefighting mix in atmos is a good idea. A can of firefighting mix in emergency storage is how everyone has their lungs frozen!

A can of anesthetic for medbay will ALWAYS be opened!

Any can you give to science will always end with them fucking something up! They fuck EVERYTHING up! ALWAYS!

When people do fuckup and kill everyone with extreme stupidity, LAUGH AT THEM OVER THE RADIO. TAUNT THEIR GHOSTS. DESECRATE THEIR BODIES.

What about releasing air everywhere on the station with a canister? Too much air is never a bad thing!

What about releasing air everywhere on the station with a canister? Too much air is never a bad thing!

Tell that to ZAS as it smashes your skull against a wall due to a massive pressure wave caused by opening a normal old air canister.

Tell that to ZAS as it smashes your skull against a wall due to a massive pressure wave caused by opening a normal old air canister.

Shhhhhhhh, don't tell them that!

I remember this round everyone was so paranoid about the whole cult thing. I was almost lasered twice just trying to get the captain to give me an ID change. I dealt with some of the dead bodies that came in since I was a doctor at the time. My guess of what happened was that someone had a lighter in their pocket(coat or jumpsuit) and it was on, it's happened to me before as the detective.

*Boop* Warden here. This was fun, I think what caused the fire was actually some of the lights being over-loaded. Other than the horrible death business, I think that plasma gassing might be a good way to execute people when you've got a lot of prisoners that need to die. I was thinking about writing a story about this from my perspective, but oh well.

Other than the horrible death business, I think that plasma gassing might be a good way to execute people when you've got a lot of prisoners that need to die.

No no no NO NO NONONONONONONO!

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE PLASMATO EXECUTE PEOPLE!

IF YOU REALLY NEED TO KILL LOTS OF PEOPLE, USE A GAS LIKE CO2 (harmless to anyone with internals, UNLIKE PLASMA!)

Or beat them to death, or shoot them, or vent the room....OR DO ANYTHING THAT DOESN'T INVOLVE THE USE OF PLASMA!

Other than the horrible death business, I think that plasma gassing might be a good way to execute people when you've got a lot of prisoners that need to die.

No no no NO NO NONONONONONONO!

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER USE PLASMATO EXECUTE PEOPLE!

IF YOU REALLY NEED TO KILL LOTS OF PEOPLE, USE A GAS LIKE CO2 (harmless to anyone with internals, UNLIKE PLASMA!)

Or beat them to death, or shoot them, or vent the room....OR DO ANYTHING THAT DOESN'T INVOLVE THE USE OF PLASMA!

How about the use of Phoron?

Ehehehehehehehe.

But, no, seriously, the best way to kill people is to place a disposal system that allows you to toss in floor tiles into the chute and have it rebound, so they get hit over and over.

It's horrifying how deadly it is if you use enough floor tiles...

Ah yes, the disposal system, a long forgotten area of atmos.

If you know what you are doing, you can make some EXTREMELY deadly setups, far more effective, safe simpler and faster then using godamn gas.

Now for a rant about "PRRONHNHONHON"

A long time ago some bay coders hit their head very hard, and then decided to change EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE (Dear god so many) of "plasma" in the code to a name they got after beating themselves over the head with a chemistry textbook. Not only was this an unpronounceable and a massive waste of time, it screwed over every single downstream bay server. Prohronrohnrurorn is evil. Do not ever use it.

DO NOT EVER COOL PLASMA.

tell that to the average person trying to produce 200 DeLoreans on /vg/ and you'll know why that statement's false.

Also I was CE that round (acting only, but the real CE fucked off somewhere saying he didn't want to be CE) and I approved the request because the blueshield was implanted.

A long time ago some bay coders hit their head very hard, and then decided to change EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE (Dear god so many) of "plasma" in the code to a name they got after beating themselves over the head with a chemistry textbook. Not only was this an unpronounceable and a massive waste of time, it screwed over every single downstream bay server. Prohronrohnrurorn is evil. Do not ever use it.

if the coders for those downstream bay servers were half-decent they'd have it fixed in a couple minutes, also, it made A LOT of sense to rename it, here's the list of names plasma has: plasma,toxin, toxins, toxin(bio), carbon molecules

makes even less sense when there already IS 2 things IRL that're called plasma, the thing in your blood that transports non-oxygen things AND the fourth fundamental state of matter.

Simply to clarify; The plasma fire was caused by the cult mask. It used the blow-out-lights spell to ignite the plasma.

I don't get why masks use blow lights so much. It only makes people aware kf the GM oocly, breaks the visibility for everyone including the cultist, and almost never helps except in escapes, I guess.

Simply to clarify; The plasma fire was caused by the cult mask. It used the blow-out-lights spell to ignite the plasma.

Maybe they shouldn't be able to blow out the lights if the lights are already blown out in whatever room they try to blow them out from?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use