Muh clothing vending machines.

Spacemanspark

Only YOU can save our clothing venchine machines!  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the discussion on this thread, i can point two stated reasons why according to the admin team the clothing machines must be removed.

-People used them to slack off and mess around, or even be a vigilante.

-They are meant as a clown-mime feature only.

The first reason: Counterargument, if people want to slack off or be a vigilante, the lack of fancy clothing will in no way stop them from doing that. Yeah, the thought of being The Owl in a colorful suit is encouraging, but actually most people who use those clothing machines are civilians with no job, and those who do have a job, are competent enough to handle both their tasks and roleplay. The cases when people ignore their job for the sake of roleplaying fun (RP, that's what you want to encourage, right?) or the cases when people go rampant vigilante, the clothing machine is in no way the cause of it, at most a tool to spice up their intents. And these are the cases in which an admin would talk to the person in question. Therefore clothing machines do NOT cause people to slack off for silly roleplay or vigilantism.

Second reason: Okay, i can understand that NanoTrasen seeks professionalism and seriousness in their workers, and they want them to be in the reglamentary uniforms at work. Therefore leaving the colorful clothing for exclusive use of the entertainment staff. But! The workers aren't working 24h a day aboard the station, they have shorter or longer breaks to rest and relax, call it "free time". At this free time, most crewmembers would change the sweaty clothing and put on some fresh jumpsuit, it could be another working jumpsuit, but given he is not working at the moment, he is allowed to wear something more comfortable like a normal grey jumpsuit, or a pretty-colored one. And yes, workers have free time, why else would there be a bar, arcade machines, a dance bar, a holodeck and a boxing ring if NT doesnt want their workers to spare free time? And would you go to dance at the bar with your scientist labcoat or your engineering jumpsuit in a real situation? Exactly, so that's why spare clothing should be avaiable for crewmembers to wear, clown or not.

So, after this wall of text, i conclude that these two motives don't seem to be a proper justification to have this popular feature removed, could be there other hidden motications?

-Technical difficulties: The code for the machines is buggy, or the BYOND hardcap requires some features to be removed to add new better ones. But if that's the case, why hide it?

-Balance issues: For example, traitors can use few different sets of clothing to disguise theirselves when wanted, though i would rather applaud trying such approach rather than buying standart stealth traitor items from the syndicate uplink.

-It's in someone's personal interest to have them removed. Someone with influence asked to have them removed for any reason. I automatically reject this one, i believe the coder and admin team is honest and reasonable enough to not be guided by someone's petty whims ignoring the playerbase.

-The admin team itself forces changes to assert their power. I pray to the Emperor this better not be true, but given the recent stream of changes, I will include it here just for the sake of completeness, please do not take this as an attack to the decisions of the administration and coding team. Most of the changes are good and welcomed, but some of them are completely unexpected and strongly rejected by the playerbase, like this one about the clothing machines. Some of those "bad" changes have an in-deep explained justification for them to happen, but in this case the playerbase got few vague sentences as explanation, and the other possible reasons are unclear or no plausible, thus reinforcing the belief that the changes were made "Just because we can do it".

Right now the poll is 34 votes in favour of returning the machines, and 4 against. I know this is not a democracy, and not everybody votes, but ignoring the voice of a representative part of your playerbase is a strategical mistake. And seeing the obvious frustration among the players, not giving a justification for the changes shows very bad PR, which is unfrequent for this community. Please consider if the changes discussed on this thread are worth the inmediate loss of popularity and general morale.

^

Holy shit, well said. Eloquent, precise and comprehensive. You basically summed it all up.

My two cents: you can think of Cyberiad in sci-fi soap opera terms. Even Enterprise in Star Trek had lots of fun shit onboard, including a holodeck that would let you dress up and play scenarios. Also: in what way are fedoras or colorful shoes ridiculous?

We've got the AutoDrobe back - the biggest gripe (in theory). What about the hats, then?

Okay, so, i'm not here to give my opinion about this, because i dont want to take sides. And seems like the beloved clothing machines aren't coming back, so i will just tell you how to get around their lack.

If you want your clothes quickly colored, you can go to the art storage just below the locker room, and grab a crayon of the color of your choice. Put it in the washing machine, and then all the clothing you want to dye, it works with jumpsuits, shoes, caps, gloves, etc...

The other way, is to order the parts of the clothing machines at cargo, dissassemble any vending machine, and turn it into a clothing dispenser.

Wouldn't it work well to have the vending machines already setup in cargo (as lets face it, NOBODY is building one) so cargo techs can either have people request clothing and grab it for them or just drag it out and let people take what they want?

• 2 weeks later...

Sad there are no more jackboots and flashy suit though. Really wish there was a good system of making different sprites available to other servers, currently you just have to keep an eye on PRs.

Sad there are no more jackboots and flashy suit though. Really wish there was a good system of making different sprites available to other servers, currently you just have to keep an eye on PRs.

Jackboots are distinctively unique item mostly due to their clomp clomp sounds; if they didn't have this, then I would have left them in, but everyone running around with jackboots blurs information communication to players (yes, I realize that there's still a pair in the autodrobe--but it's only a single pair, as opposed to 10).

Psych was removed because it's horrendously visually distracting and hard on the eyes; it's the same reason that I didn't include the green sombrero in the autodrobe update--it's visually distracting and annoying (For other reasons; it spills out onto the tiles next to the person wearing it).

Either case, all but two items have been restored, and the autodrobe has even more things in it now and the clothing vendor (new machine) has something like 35+ new clothing pieces in it. We're set for "customization" for quite a long while.

Ohhh sorry, yeah thats fine, having ten jackboots in the shoe machine would be bad, thought the autodrobe had its one removed.

Wouldn't mind the autodrobe jackboots having no sound as it can be somewhat annoying.

Fine with the pysch suit going if it was causing issues.

By the way, thanks for all the new clothes, can't wait to test them out.

Ohhh sorry, yeah thats fine, having ten jackboots in the shoe machine would be bad, thought the autodrobe had its one removed.

Wouldn't mind the autodrobe jackboots having no sound as it can be somewhat annoying..

Autodrobe jackboots are still in--there's a single pair; it was only the jackboots from the shoe vendor that were removed.

One person running around and potentially blurring communication of jobs is ok, but 11? No way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use