[REQUEST]A guide to coding for the server

andrewmeythaler

How to code:

Download the link FJ gave you.

Open up Dream Maker.

Open up the code file (.DMI, I think is the file extension.)

Randomly delete lines of code.

Compile it.

Ignore the errors.

Press Control + R to start up a server.

Watch now as you have a server where everyone is a postcard and the doors are singularities.

as for coding ITSELF: http://www.byond.com/docs/guide/ http://www.byond.com/docs/ref/index.html

#coderbus on rizon and #codershuttle on sorcerynet for /tg/ and bay coding IRC channels, respectively

to get the code: https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise

using github not in a nutshell: https://help.github.com/

you'll need to make a github account if you want to be able to contribute to the server, and you'll also need the github client (to make it WAY easier)

once you got an account and the client, go to the top of the page where it says "fork": 740Yhcv.png, press that button

congrats, you now have a fork of the code, why is this needed? well, you can't directly "commit" (basically uploading your changes) to the main repo, for obvious reasons.

it will look something like this:

jIGuckS.png

okay, I hope the github client is downloaded and installed, oh, and log into it while you're at it.

go to the right of the page, and click the button "clone in desktop": lHPYEb9.png

(you can do the same with the main repo if you want to, I don't, because it's not all that neccesary)

now, your browser will ask you if you what to do with this "github-windows://" link,(no picture because I already set it to not pop up) make sure it's set to the github client, if it isn't already, and just set it to remember the setting, accept that, it's not loading malware onto your PC, promise.

now, github for windows should hopefully open and ask you where to save it, if it's bringing you to the github client's download page, make sure you're logged into github on the site.

once that's done downloading, the github client should look something like this:

e0yp8vX.png

barring the fact that I have more cloned repos and uncommited changes and all kinds of things.

now, this isn't necessary to do, but it's good practice, up there where it says "master" VKkMuML.png in the github client, are your branches, now, you'll want to make a new branch, and keep using master as a clean sheet (why I don't have a fork of the main repo, not needed)

click that "master" button, then press manage, select master(if it's not selected already), and then the plus, choose a name, and done, new branch

back out of that branch menu, and press "master" again, then, the new branch you made should be in the list of branches, select it, and now you're on a new branch

So, time to actually open dream maker, it comes with BYOND, so no worries, just click on baystation.dme (yes, it SAYS baystation, it's paracode) in the folder you chose to download the repo to, it should open DM, if it's opening something else, set DM as default, if it's asking what to open with, set DM as default

now you're in DM, well, I hope you learned coding by now, if you didn't and it's just for a private server, fine

go to build at the top of DM, press compile, wait ages for it to compile, progress is tracked at the bottom of DM, wait until it says something about 0 errors and 0 warnings and that it's completed

go to the folder of your repo,

TO BE COMPLETED SINCE I HAVE TO GO RIGHT NOW

EDIT: well, time to complete this, crapilly typed this next part on an ipad, so no fancy images, and i might mess up some things

Go to the folder of your repo, now, there should be a .dmb file, don't open it yet, go to the folder config, then example, copy admins.txt and admin-ranks.txt (not sure if the latter is really needed) to config, and edit admins.txt with your program of choice

Type "{BYOND account key without capitalisation} - Host", without quotation marks, like the example, but without the # infront of it, also make sure Host is capitalised correctly.

Now, open dream daemon (comes with BYOND like DM), and click that button where it says "...", now browse to your .dmb file and select that, then press "GO"

(Don't directly open the .dmb from windows explorer, else you'll get a million security messages about reading certain files, which is a PAIN to click through)

Once dream daemon finally started the server (don't worry if windows says it's not responding, just wait), press the arrow button that used to be the "..." Button, you should now be on your private server! (If you're not make sure the BYOND pager is running and you're logged in)

Also, you should be admin, so now you can goof around and have a whole lot of fun

(Oh, important note about Dream daemon, you can't simply close it by pressing the X at the top right of the window, it'll just make it minimize to tray, go to file -> quit to fully close it)

Well, if you DID take the time to learn how to code, code the things you want to code, test if it works, yada yada yada.

Well, you want to actually push those changes to the server, right?

Open the github client, and make sure your fork is selected, where it says uncommited changes, click the downwards arrow, you should now see a list of well, uncommited changes,

Select the files you modified, added, deleted, whatever, and give your commit a description and name, then press okay.

(Make sure you don't commit baystation12.dme, just discard the changes, unless you added/deleted files, at which point you should only commit the corresponding lines)

Now, press the sync button that (unless you did something wrong) a little up arrow with a 1 next to it, and wait for it to sync

Now you're gonna make a pull request, which is basically: I want to merge changes from X branch in X fork to the main repo's X branch

Now, open your fork of the repo in your internet browser, and press make pull request(because i'm shoddily typing this on mobile, some of the things i'm gonna say here might be incorrect, github help i linked at the top of the page), now, because i told you to make a seperate branch, you'll have to edit the branch you're making the PR from, and set it to the branch you made

Now, gibe your PR a name and description, also make sure the files changed and commits amount is correct for what you changed, else you're probably making a PR to a revert branch

Then make the PR, if it's good, it might even get merged!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use