Karmatic shenanigans

andrewmeythaler

Admin Key: All of ya!

Complaint: You bloody bastards are fuckin' the karma system! I am a simple man. I do an honest days work for an honest days pay. I toil day in and day out in the RP mines for my karma, just like everyone else. I work hard! And I don't appreciate you lot takin' me pay!

For the second time I lost karma in an SQL roll back. 8 karma! It may not seem like a lot to you karmatic fat cats, high off your ill gotten funds. You bourgeoiRP don't understand the plight of us proles. 8 karma is hard to get! It can take months!

Not to mention all your failed promises you made while gladly pocketing OUR karma! The ambassadors. The customs officer. The mechanic. The security pod pilot. The magistrate. All either never started, never finished, or planned to be removed. Most are functionally useless, and the few that aren't are on the way out.

And you do all this while touting your no refund policy. So boo I say! Boo! BOOOO!

Roll backs happen, If you don't want them to happen then we can move to a subscription service to pay for it.

That's not going to happen, so you'll just have to accept the occasional losses.

My advice is - don't play for karma, play for fun.

Roll backs happen, If you don't want them to happen then we can move to a subscription service to pay for it.

That's not going to happen, so you'll just have to accept the occasional losses.

My advice is - don't play for karma, play for fun.

And I do. Tis but a bitter gripe of a man who longs for RP heavy roles.

Additionally, the roll backs are understandable. These things happen and aren't really anyone's fault. But the removal of roles, and roles not being finished is something that ought to be addressed.

Many of them were rather ambitious, Ponies had a tendency to do that. And his absence is also no one's fault. But the you should either stop taking karma for these jobs, offer refunds, or stop removing them.

My main problem right now with what we do code wise is all the damn nerfs recently.

Stop nerfing stuff, please.

I can live with the /tg/sprites(I guess.), but the less belt storage, the projectile firing for energy based weapons, the detective's revolver is now the most OP security tool, security starting out as loyalty implanted, etc..

In terms of karma, the only thing I'm not happy about is us removing Customs.

If people bothered to have a little patience (Which can go VERY far in this game.), it wouldn't be an issue.

If you REALLY hate Customs, go bug Cargo via PDA to let you through the back door.

Edited by Guest

My main problem right now with what we do code wise is all the damn nerfs recently.

If people bothered to have a little patience (Which can go VERY far in this game.), it wouldn't be an issue.

If you REALLY hate Customs, go bug Cargo via PDA to let you through the back door.

Yes! Really the only time I have seen customs be even remotely dickish is when people jump through the x-ray, and frankly they have it coming.

Mel did what he could to restore characters and karma, but couldn't do it.

It's not like he did this casually.

I understand the roll back. Not really anything that can be helped. But the adding and removing of karma roles should be taken more seriously.

I felt this rollback hard. I role played my butt off after a two month hiatus. Just lost a total of like 8 karma AND now have been reverted back to 2 karma away from a job I unlocked and played for a week already.

Yes! Really the only time I have seen customs be even remotely dickish is when people jump through the x-ray, and frankly they have it coming.

I have seen otherwise. I've had to get half of engineering geared up and heavily armed as two lings were picking off people coming out of customs (no admins on), I've seen a single officer hold back three security officers ON A NUKE ROUND AFTER EVERYONE WAS SCREAMING ABOUT NUKIES. Customs sucks.

I have seen otherwise. I've had to get half of engineering geared up and heavily armed as two lings were picking off people coming out of customs (no admins on), I've seen a single officer hold back three security officers ON A NUKE ROUND AFTER EVERYONE WAS SCREAMING ABOUT NUKIES. Customs sucks.

That is pretty rare though. Mostly it's just grey tide assholes who are to impatient to just wait in line.

I was actually a victim of the changeling thing. Those two players should have gotten punishment, but didn't, since they were far enough away from arrivals... but those players /just/ joined the round.

As for the Nuke Ops thing, I think security officers should've had more or less have access into the Custom's offices, so they can just pass through. If they start letting others in, they could've been detained temporarily.

I can live with the /tg/sprites(I guess.), but the less belt storage, the projectile firing for energy based weapons, the detective's revolver is now the most OP security tool, security starting out as loyalty implanted, etc..

Everyone hates nerfs; I'm sure security officers would love to have more access, start with combat shotguns, have armor that makes them immune to stuns, the ability to 100% confirm antags, etc---but this isn't just a game about one particular role; everything has be balanced against everything else. Again, no one likes nerfs, but sometimes they're needed--science got their nerf (and will be continuing to get them via telesci in the up and coming weeks), and now security is getting theirs.

Security, with huge toolbelts and webbing vests never had to make any real decisions on what to and what no to carry; they could essentially hold everything they ever wanted and then some--you could literally carry around an entire box worth of flashbangs in your vest, enough food to last the entire shift, etc. All of these things impact how and officer approaches the game and has to deal with a particular situation. When a player doesn't have to make any real choices, it ends up concentrating power within that role--to the point of a class/job having no real weakness (example 2.0 being R&D being nearly 100% self sufficient with its prior lack of lockboxes).

Projectiles were chosen for multiple reasons: it allows things like reflecting to work properly and adds far more agency and skill when dealing with a ranged foe than before. Instant hit projectiles, especially in conjunction with auto-targeting is an "I-win" button. There's very little player interaction and there's no chance, at all,for the player who's targeted to deal with the the targeter if the targeter so wishes. It means that you can dodge, weave, and utilize his knowledge of player behavior to make the best of the situation as opposed to just auto-losing because someone got auto-target on you.

Furthermore, due to projectiles having travel time and being dodgeable means players don't have to suffer at the hand of RNG at other players. It's incredibly frustrating when you fire 6 taser shots at someone and only 2 of them connect because of "missing narrowly". It's no fault of the player and it's no fault of the person getting tased (or shot); RNG just decided to hate you that day---with actual projectiles that can be dodged, then it puts the burden on the person doing the aiming and the person being shot at---if you miss, it's because you literally missed or were outplayed.

Again, no one likes nerfs to their own little niche--as a science player, I loved having no lockboxes and having a super-easy to solve telesci that lets me steal, literally anything after 10 seconds of time investment....but that doesn't mean having both is healthy or good for the game.

First off, let me make it REALLY clear right now.I have never, ever, ever said customs is for sure going. I've expressed a very negative opinion of it, but I've never said "it's being removed in the future". If someone else has said it's being removed, then refer them to this post.

That said, I will say this about customs: It's a very toxic job that serves no purpose, with, literally, the only goal to be to irritate, annoy, and piss off other people. The role boils down to "I get to essentially sentence you to a 5-10+ minute wait time, to play the game, merely because I spent 15 karma". That's not healthy, in the slightest, especially for a role that contributes literally zero to the real security of the station---again, no one wants to wait to play the game because someone spent 15 karma (put another way, how would you like to click "join game" and you literally have to wait 10 minutes before your character spawns?). Even if people are perfectly patient and don't shove/go through the x-ray machine, players are still going to have to wait, particularly when busy, 5-10+ minutes (a 10 minute wait is nearly 10% of a 2 hour round). Furthermore, even if you, yourself never go through the x-ray---someone inevitably will---and the customs officer will then have to deal with them and delay all the other who wait patiently--So "by the book" players/characters are still punished with even more waiting because of someone else's actions.

Security, with huge toolbelts

So it was you.

That said, I will say this about customs: It's a very toxic job that serves no purpose, with, literally, the only goal to be to irritate, annoy, and piss off other people. The role boils down to "I get to essentially sentence you to a 5-10+ minute wait time, to play the game, merely because I spent 15 karma". That's not healthy, in the slightest, especially for a role that contributes literally zero to the real security of the station---again, no one wants to wait to play the game because someone spent 15 karma (put another way, how would you like to click "join game" and you literally have to wait 10 minutes before your character spawns?). Even if people are perfectly patient and don't shove/go through the x-ray machine, players are still going to have to wait, particularly when busy, 5-10+ minutes (a 10 minute wait is nearly 10% of a 2 hour round). Furthermore, even if you, yourself never go through the x-ray---someone inevitably will---and the customs officer will then have to deal with them and delay all the other who wait patiently--So "by the book" players/characters are still punished with even more waiting because of someone else's actions.

While customs is essentially useless, I think that isn't really the fault of those who play it. If it served a purpose (i.e. the proposed smuggler gamemode), then it would be cool. But it, and most other karma roles, were put in with little to no thought on their larger purpose. But if it is decided that it will be removed we need to have a talk about refunds. Because if you remove and keep your current stance on refunds people will not be happy.

So it was you.

Yes, it was; not going to deny that--my PRs will usually detail most of the changes,---nerfs and buffs made; I do my best not to obscure things

So it was you.

Yes, it was; not going to deny that--my PRs will usually detail most of the changes,---nerfs and buffs made; I do my best not to obscure things

It's just when I first noticed it I set the OOC abuzz with "Who the fuck nerfs a belt?!?"

Can we at least have the ability to put our fucking tasers back into our belts again. Kind of fucks over a Sec Pod Pilot otherwise.

I'd much rather buff the security pod pilot where he's unique; his pod--as in getting the taser for that to work.

Can we at least have the ability to put our fucking tasers back into our belts again. Kind of fucks over a Sec Pod Pilot otherwise.

I'd much rather buff the security pod pilot where he's unique; his pod--as in getting the taser for that to work.

As would I, but MarkvA has told me that he doesn't know if it can be coded. So I was thinking about doing the next best thing temporarily.

don't facepalm me, I'm just repeating what i was told

by ...someone

a while ago

It has nothing to do with you, it's just astounding to hear.

Literally the number one draw of security pod pilot, was the pod weapons. It is why people were excited for it. Months go by and we are told it doesn't have em still, and no one is sure why.

It is worrying to hear they were there the whole time, and not put in because... Reasons?