Recruit more Admins

Eldrin-Kanthos

I have been looking and one of the arguments against listing is the lack of admins. I just suggested we get more admins.

That argument is not agreed by all admins. I believe we have more than enough currently to be publicly listed, though I have no opinion over whether we should or not, so whilst the number of admins may be a contributing factor for some, it is not for others. It is certainly not the only facet being considered.

Edited after being corrected

Edited by Guest

Reposting what I said in the previous thread.

Fox disagrees with us benefiting from being listed. From what I've gathered it is because of the lack of admins, and he would rather have few players than a lot going rampant when there are no admins online.

When it boils down to it Fox is the Head Admin in charge right now, that means he has the final say if the server stays unlisted or not.

While this might seem discouraging, I support everyone who wants to give their opinion on it to go ahed and share it, because personally I think this shouldn't be about personal preference, but what everyone wants as a whole.

How do you propose to properly and legitimately get 'new admins'? Besides having a mass Call-of-duty like recruiting stand, there is no way to properly recruit a unique or genuine admin.

As it comes to us not having that many people, lack of admins don't usually correlate to playerbase, but there may be a different system on SS13. I know that when I play and no admins are on for multiple rounds, there's still a full staff around and the game is playable.

I really don't get what you're saying though. More admins =/= us being listed, or someone magically searching 'Paradise Station' at some point when it is unlisted.

The most common way I know to get new players is by inviting them personally, giving them the website. Not having more admins.

I have seen a couple rounds recently with people bending and/or breaking the rules when I play, as no admins are on. Admins are important to the game and I have zero idea how they are selected. All I know is I left a thriving server for a couple months only to return to find many admins gone, and the average sever population halved at least.

I understand lack of admins is not lack of players, but as stated and quoted before, lack of admins was given as a reason for the unlisting. Unlisting IS a cause for lack of players. Less admins -> unlisting -> less players.

I have seen a couple rounds recently with people bending and/or breaking the rules when I play, as no admins are on. Admins are important to the game and I have zero idea how they are selected. All I know is I left a thriving server for a couple months only to return to find many admins gone, and the average sever population halved at least.

I understand lack of admins is not lack of players, but as stated and quoted before, lack of admins was given as a reason for the unlisting. Unlisting IS a cause for lack of players. Less admins -> unlisting -> less players.

The primary trouble with admins is that the best way to get them is for someone competent and person-savvy to select the best people from the playerbase.

A good 70-80% of players are not admin material, and selection has to look at a lot of different values that a person has.

As your playerbase shrinks, your pool of potential admins also shrinks.

Speaking from experience though, unlisting has largely been a bad idea. You need to have the server pimped somewhere in order to keep fresh blood churning through. If you don't have that going on, the server WILL die. Whether it's listed on the hub is immaterial - it doesn't matter if it's on the hub or 4chan or reddit or wherever else. So long as it's generating an influx of new players that's greater than the outflux, it'll keep the server alive.

If nobody knows about the server, it will simply shrink and vanish. Old players don't stick around forever - there is a constant amount of attrition regardless of how well the server is doing.

The primary trouble with admins is that the best way to get them is for someone competent and person-savvy to select the best people from the playerbase.

A good 70-80% of players are not admin material, and selection has to look at a lot of different values that a person has.

As your playerbase shrinks, your pool of potential admins also shrinks.

Speaking from experience though, unlisting has largely been a bad idea. You need to have the server pimped somewhere in order to keep fresh blood churning through. If you don't have that going on, the server WILL die. Whether it's listed on the hub is immaterial - it doesn't matter if it's on the hub or 4chan or reddit or wherever else. So long as it's generating an influx of new players that's greater than the outflux, it'll keep the server alive.

If nobody knows about the server, it will simply shrink and vanish. Old players don't stick around forever - there is a constant amount of attrition regardless of how well the server is doing.

You are a wise little man.

For what it's worth, I've been harassing Neca (up until he took some time off) about mentoring and admin for the bulk of the last year or so. If it's determined that additional admins/pylons are required I am still very much interested and willing to serve as an admin/pylon.

I currently don't play a lot during the normal peak traffic hours so I can't say for sure how the server being unlisted has affect the majority of the player base, nor can I attest to whether the admin shortage or player influx is responsible ultimately for the server being unlisted.

I can say that we are now operating under a mostly different set of staff members from when I started which indicates that there are at least new admins about, filling in gaps where they arise.

As for the rule breaking while no one is on:

We have a player complaints forum! Post rulebreakers on there if you see them, or message an admin/me and i'll deal with it as soon as i can get on again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use