Mechanic, the revival.

Aleyck

This is something to consider after fully merging the MODsuits, assuming it hasn't already been done.

Mechanic was a job that handled the making and flying of pods. It got removed alongside pods IIRC. Now, hear me out:

Bring back the Mechanic job and maybe their old office, with the focus being on the creation of MODsuits. The most obvious question in response to this is: "Why should this be done if Robotics can already make MODsuits?" The answer to that is this: Robotics already has a lot on their table. Cyborgs and Mechs alone are time-consuming, and with two roboticists with no guaranteed competence this is a big ask most of the time. With a Mechanic, MODsuit making can be left to someone else, alleviating the workload and having a neat role specifically for the time-consuming work that is MODsuit creation and customization.

That's all I've got, really. Think about it, and think about the poor neglected borgs.

• Like 2

I do not believe that MODsuits alone are entertaining enough to do for two hours straight.

If said job got more content however, I'd say it could fly.

My main problem with this would be the same issue original mechanic had, them prioritizing themselves and then just waltzing off into space essentially being another explorer, then there is as was said earlier the factor of how long can someone really be bothered to be making modsuits over the course of a 2 hour round. Also competence or lack of it isn't a purely robotics issue either, the mechanic could be just as competent or incompetent, Also modsuits aren't really something everyone is suppose to/needs to have we're really only seeing them in such abundance because they're the new hotness.

So I don't see much of a point to have a single job for a singular purpose that isn't all that vital, robotics has plenty of down time after the initial surge of borgs coming for their upgrades and if robotics needs to be focused on exosuits then chances are things are really bad and modsuits can take a back seat until whatever horrible biohazard or whatnot that caused the need for exos is dealt with.

• Like 1

I like the idea of integrating MODsuits somehow into departments, they need to really exist in the context of some role I think.

You should talk to Burza and Silverplate about how this could be worked into engineering with their plans for an engineering role + power engine overhaul. Otherwise you may want to explore how MODsuits could work with the roboticist role and just take on a large scoped project of improving that role in general.

13 hours ago, Aleyck said:

"Why should this be done if Robotics can already make MODsuits?" The answer to that is this: Robotics already has a lot on their table. Cyborgs and Mechs alone are time-consuming

Not really; these two things take mere minutes to construct for anyone even vaguely familiar to the role. Same with IPC repairs and such. On the contrary, robotics actually finds itself lacking things to do on many servers--not just Paradise--and while it isn't a massive addition, modsuits are at least something. 

and with two roboticists with no guaranteed competence this is a big ask most of the time.

I'd argue it would be better to teach these roboticist players, rather than strip potential content away from veterans of the role due to the potential for incompetence. 

With a Mechanic, MODsuit making can be left to someone else, alleviating the workload and having a neat role specifically for the time-consuming work that is MODsuit creation and customization.

Mechanic was a role that used to make a pod and then vanish into space, never to be seen from again. It was a one note role that didn't have much of value even when pods existed; and it would be even less of value with MODsuits as a sole focus. I do think Paradise needs more roles, but they need more depth and content. MODsuits would be best off with robotics overall. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use