The Basics

Full Name: Idunn Raan

Nicknames/Alias: Boss, Chiki’s Human, Doc, Miss Idunn, Mom 

Orientation: Bisexual

Age/D.O.B: 41 years old. December 24, 2524

Place Of Birth: Earth

Species: Human

Blood Type: O-

Alignment: Somewhere between Lawful and Neutral Good. 

Affiliation: Nanotrasen employee. Initially hired as a Medical Doctor.

Religious Beliefs: A loaded question for Idunn; initially Christian, suffered a lapse of faith, and is currently aimless and considering atheism. There is no simple answer to this one. 

Personality:

Spoiler

Idunn is a stern and straightforward woman who does the best she can while at work. She is startlingly level-headed in danger, even when facing Syndicate agents or other near-lethal threats. Her hands have been trained to search for a trigger whenever handed a weapon. Idunn seems overly stuffy at first glance with how she carries herself and runs Medbay, but despite this Idunn is always ready to help others and teach newer members of the medical department. In private moments, she can be vulnerable and softspoken, especially in quiet moments with her girlfriends. 

Additionally, Idunn has a tendency to hover over the younger (or shorter) members of the medical department because she is a worried mother, even to employees of Nanotrasen. This manifests specifically as Idunn fretting over said members of Medbay, making sure they’ve eaten while on the job, and, on occasion, assaulting a Syndicate operative to ensure her charge’s escape. 

Detailed Information

Appearance: 

Spoiler

Idunn is a 41 year old woman who stands at 5'8" / 172 cm with long blonde hair reaching down to her shoulders. Her face and limbs are covered with superficial scars accumulated from her time serving as a combat medic on Earth. Her eyes are an emerald green. Idunn is a woman with a fairly muscular build that can be easily hidden beneath a jacket. Her left hand and right leg are both cybernetic parts from Xion Manufacturing Group, and are grey with orange trim. She is easily recognizable with her medical department beret and winter coat.

ZEdZFqP.png

Character Voice: 

Idunn has a low and almost raspy voice. When teaching others, the raspiness becomes rather warm and almost maternal. 

I currently don't have a voice claim for her, but something close to her vocal range is Panne from Fire Emblem Heroes.

Medical Record:     

Spoiler
  • Left hand and right leg were amputated following an explosion - Idunn refused to have them replaced with cloned variants, stating that the scars serve as a reminder to not fail her comrades again. As a compromise, she has cybernetics replacing her lost limbs.    
  • Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - appears to have flashbacks to her time serving in SolGov, most of them triggered by sudden gunshot noises, bright flashes, and moments of low blood cell count. Is currently attending therapy and support groups. 
  • Minor addiction to coffee - stemming from her interactions with fellow crewmate Chikitita. Mostly a harmless addiction.
  • Alcoholism - appears to resort to this mostly during rough shifts. Seems more like an inherent wine mom trait. 

Character Biography

Family:

Spoiler
  • Sjofn Raan: Mother 
  • [ Unknown ]: Father 
  • [ REDACTED ]: Ex-Husband
  • Freya Raan: Daughter 

History

Spoiler

Childhood: 

Born to Sjofn Raan on Earth, Idunn was raised in a rural home and was taught to work with plants in the family nursery. Idunn began to show interest in the medical field by patching up wounds with salves made from the plants grown on the property, much to Sjofn’s excitement. Her parents had somewhat frequent arguments about their marriage throughout Idunn’s early years, particularly surrounding Sjofn being dissatisfied with her husband’s negligent parenting. This resulted in Idunn’s parents divorcing during her early teens, leaving Sjofn with the girl alone while she continued to run her plant nursery. 

Despite this, Sjofn was cheerful and worked with a smile on her face everyday. Over time, Sjofn began to see potential romantic partners and, before Idunn knew it, created a steady and healthy polyamorous relationship with three other women who were eager to help manage the nursery and raise Idunn. 

Idunn, however, was still attempting to adjust to life without her father, resulting in a strained relationship with Sjofn and her partners. Upon graduating from high school, Idunn went against her mother’s anti-military views and joined SolGov as a statement, effectively cutting off contact with her family as she headed off into the world alone. 

Adulthood: 

As an adult, Idunn trained to become a combat medic in SolGov. Eager to prove herself, Idunn flew through training and quickly became known as a steadfast comrade to have both on the field and out on stations in space. A particular soldier, [REDACTED], was interested in Idunn romantically and began to court her, to Idunn’s general disinterest. Over time, Idunn and [REDACTED] became closer and eventually married, knowing the life of a soldier is short. Married life did not prove to be much of a thrill for Idunn, however, and she assumed it would improve whenever she left SolGov.

At age 22, Idunn was deployed on a particularly dangerous mission on the NRV Valkyrie, a hospital ship that sent out a distress signal high enough to be answered by SolGov. Upon arrival, Idunn was face to face with Syndicate operatives and the ash drake they smuggled onto the NRV Valkyrie, and had to work quickly with rescuing the injured. As her comrades fought against the Syndicate, Idunn patched them up as best she could with the resources she had. Meanwhile, the citizens and employees on the vessel evacuated onto an escape shuttle - making it the place the squadron needed to protect at all costs. Near the end of the firefight, an overenthusiastic miner evacuating the Valkyrie threw a makeshift bomb consisting of gibtonite in the direction of the Syndicate forces. Despite their good intentions, the explosion caught various soldiers from SolGov in the blast - including Idunn, who lost her left hand and entire right leg. As she lay bleeding out, she witnessed various members of her squadron being slaughtered by the Syndicate. The combat medic woke days later in the hospital on Earth, finding that she was one of few from her squadron to survive the disastrous mission. SolGov offered for her limbs to be replaced through a cloning, to which Idunn refused and took a medical discharge.

After her medical discharge from SolGov, Idunn found herself with cybernetic limbs she needed to adjust to and a lot of time on her hands. At age 23, she gave birth to Freya, her only daughter, and began to raise her while [REDACTED] would visit on occasion. [REDACTED] was moved to the recruitment department, and would visit Nanotrasen ships to try to bring in civilians into SolGov’s ranks. Because of this, Idunn more or less raised Freya alone. It’s here where Idunn realizes that parenting is hellish with one parent, especially if said parent can’t cook and has limbs missing. Idunn expressed her grievances to [REDACTED], only to be brushed off and told things would improve over time.

Idunn muscled through and did her best to raise Freya over the years despite the circumstances. [REDACTED] would bring Freya onto stations during recruitment visits on occasion, mostly to nurture an interest in space. At age 40, mere days before Freya’s 18th birthday, Freya was involved in a grievous series of explosions on a Nanotrasen affiliated vessel. An investigation went underway into the Raan family and their possible involvement in the explosions, only for Idunn to find that her husband had been working with the Syndicate for years. Infuriated, Idunn divorced [REDACTED] and took Freya, whose eyes were ruptured due to close proximity to the blasts. [REDACTED] was charged for various crimes, from attempted murder, to grand sabotage and actual murder. His current fate is unknown - and Idunn doesn’t care.

Meanwhile, Idunn sought out Nanotrasen’s help and offered her services as a medical doctor to the corporation. The corporation looked through her record and deemed her good enough, and before she knew it, she and Freya were shipped off to the star system where the Cyberiad was stationed. It’s here that she meets Chikitita, amongst others who welcomed her into the Cyberiad’s medical department with open arms. Idunn eventually meets and falls in love with Angelica Anide and Rivera Kirkland, quickly making her own place on the Cyberiad.

Personal Relationships

Spoiler

Romantic | Familial | Best Friend | Close Friend | Friend | Acquaintance | Neutral | Dislike | Despise

Angel Anide 

• Romantic Partner
  • "She’s essentially a rabid possum personified. But I really love her, especially because she’s trying to be a better person. She's had a lot of trouble with Nanotrasen, and I want to help somehow... but there isn't much that I can do aside from holding her and being there for her. Her personality is very compatible with Freya and Tide's."

Rivera Kirkland

• Romantic Partner
  • "She has a complicated past - and, honestly, who doesn’t? - but I can tell she needs a shoulder or two to hold her head against. I hope Angel and I are good enough for her... "

Freya Raan 

• Mother Of
  • "She’s reckless and stubborn - every bit my daughter. Her construction projects are a little over her head, but she’s got a good heart. I don't approve of her boarding the Cyberiad after her close call with the Syndicate, but... I did train her well. She's saved Rivera before with some quick thinking."

Chikitita

• Best Friends, Almost Familial
  • "One of my first friends on the Cyberiad. May have contributed to my coffee addiction. She says her life is disposable because she doesn’t have any form of “kin,” but she’s practically part of my own family. I hope she sees that."

Jeanne Takowase

• Daughter-in-Law
  • "From what I can tell, my ex-husband’s responsible for what happened to her… She’s a good kid, however, and I can tell Freya loves her very much."

Jules Takowase

• Family Friend
  • "Another victim of the Syndicate. He hovers around his half-sisters a lot, but it’s very much what I do around the medbay’s staff. We have more in common than we think."

Sybil Swords

• Essentially one of her Three Moms, Familial
  • "She’s an incredible cook. I’d love for her to help cook for our little family traditions, especially now that we’re one giant complicated family. I just hope the crew on the Cyberiad isn't too rude to her when she's on shift as a chef..."

Lace Masuno

• "From what I can tell, she had a rough life growing up. I can’t change that, but I do hope that her life from here on is full of everything a good family is made of."

Tidal Kirkland

• Essentially one of their Three Moms, Familial
  • "They’re learning to be a medical doctor, and I want to help them learn everything they can. Hopefully things aren’t too hectic so we can actually do some teaching one of these days…"

Sara

• "She’s been running for a while, I think. I don’t know exactly how I can help her and Allay, but at the very least, I can try to be there for them."

Allay 

• It’s Complicated, Familial
  • "Allay’s a good kid, but god am I out of my depth with how extreme her teen rebellion phase is. Freya was never this... volatile."

Coffee (the Library Cat)

• Family Pet
  • "Freya pretty much adopted Coffee… while I wasn’t keen on the idea of a sudden new addition to the house, Coffee’s been a good cat. It’s nice to just sit and pet his fur."

Atmoloid Skyla

• Close Friend
  • "Skyla actively looks out for Freya, even if she doesn’t have to. It makes me really glad that she’s out on the station. I hope she knows I appreciate her greatly and consider her a part of my family."

Cure#FF99FF

• Close Friend
  • "Cure’s a good person. She tries her best in medbay, and has overall tried her best in everything she does, but I still worry she might burn herself out."

Kikeri

• Friend
  • "You and Chikitita seem burdened by whoever Melody is... and you in particular seem troubled by Shesi's behavior. If you ever need a place to stay... you're welcome to crash at my place for a bit."

Jakki Rockatansky

• Friend
  • "My girlfriends keep asking if I've adopted you yet... Not to sound too much like a mom, but please be mindful of how many 'recreational' drugs you take. Got it?"

Takoyakika

• Friend
  • "Being called 'Boss' even when I'm not CMO is a little embarrassing... but you're incredibly reliable and Freya definitely likes you. I know I can feel at ease when you're around."

S.E.A.G.U.L.L.

• Friend / Acquaintance
  • "They seem pretty close to Skyla. I don’t get to talk to them much, but they seem like a good person."

Kar-ski

• Acquaintance
  • "Your cooking is always so stellar… you, uh, wouldn’t happen to be teaching crew how to cook, would you? I'm told I'm unteachable, but..."

Viisk-Hoorm-Vroo

• Acquaintance
  • "Whenever you're on station, I know that I can always call you for either some good booze or some damn fine janitor work. Keep up the good work, Viisk. But also take a vacation sometime, yeah?"

Atria

• Acquaintance
  • "I promise I'm not always shitfaced drunk. Promise."

Tachaka

•  Acquaintance
  • "You need to take better care of yourself! I swear, I'm going to have to wrangle all you vox and make you all learn to not work yourselves down to the wire."

Michael Bovine 

• Acquaintance 
  • "Things have started to get into motion, it looks like... You've helped out Chikitita, and from what I've heard, even spoken with Freya on occasion about things she could never talk to me about. I know I can't always be there for her, but I appreciate it."

COI

• Acquaintance 
  • "I know our first meeting was somewhat rough with that contractor on you, but I really had a great shift with you in Botany. Hopefully sometime we can talk more. Let me know if anybody ever gives you any trouble again!"

Skjarekke

• Acquaintance
  • "I don't get to talk to you much, but from what I can tell, you always do a good job! Here's hoping we can relax soon."

Fiona Phillips

• Acquaintance
  • "While I'm a little concerned about your... acquisition methods, we've had some lovely chats. Hopefully next time we won't find a body next door..?"

Qixxiq Xiqqix

• Acquaintance 
  • "You are so uninvited from the winter holiday party, 'Bestie'."

Melody

• Stranger
  • "Whoever - or WHATEVER - you are, don’t hurt Chikitita."

Vim 

• Stranger / Enemy..?
  • "Stay away from Chikitita. She hasn’t done anything wrong to you."

Shesi 

• On Thin Fucking Ice
  • "Don't. Hurt. My girlfriends."

[REDACTED]

• Mortal Enemy
  • "All those years together, and for what? You hurt our daughter. You hurt those girls. How many other lives have you irreparably damaged? I hope you rot in hell for everything you've done. I'm glad I'm rid of you. I'm much happier without you in my life."

Faction Relations

Spoiler

Allied | Love | Like | Neutral | Dislike | Hate | Enemy

Nanotrasen 

• Neutral, Allied 
  • “While it’s not exactly the most perfect workplace, Nanotrasen did take Freya and I in when we needed help. It’s also where I met Chikitita, then Angel and Rivera… It’s got its faults, but it’s home.” 

The Syndicate 

• Hate. Enemy.
  • “You’ve cost my family so much… Not just Freya, but Rivera too. This doesn’t even cover all the lives you’ve taken and the times I’ve had to see my family and coworkers die. Don’t even fucking try to take Freya again. I’ll make you regret it.” 

Trans-Solar Federation  

• Formerly Allied(... but still in contact)
  • “I’m putting my trust in you even after all these years… I swear to god, don’t let this backfire on me…” 

BioTech Solutions 

• “You fought for Angel when others didn’t. That’s more than enough reason for me to consider you guys good… plus, you guys made my prosthetics.” 

The Shoal

• “While I haven’t had any direct contact with the Shoal, I’ve had many encounters with good Vox that make me think deeply on my own place in life. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to board an ark ship and interact with the Shoal’s Vox more.” 

Images

Spoiler

these are drawn by me unless stated otherwise! xoxo

a full body ref of Idunn (featuring Freya in the corner)

opDK0bL.png

some of Idunn showing off her maternal side while training a newbie

XtqaYrq.png

Idunn during Pride month (featuring the bisexual flag and new polyam flag!)

FAJ9gLc.png

Idunn and Rivera during a nukies round; Idunn lost a few limbs in an explosion and couldn't walk, and Rivera took it upon herself to get her to safety in the gateway.

SxkvoUl.png

Other Information

Tbd. Kahlua is her favorite alcoholic drink. Jello shots and margaritas are an honorary mention. As for nonalcoholic drinks, her go-tos are cafe latte, hot chocolate, and milkshakes. Her favorite foods include banana bread, berry pancakes, caramel, and herb salad. 

Edited by angelictactics
grammar fixes, added relationships!
  • Like 8
  • explodyparrot 1

Figured you'd post yours soon, nice. I'll have to revisit it when you get it finalized but it's good so far!

• fastparrot 1

9 hours ago, Woje said:

Figured you'd post yours soon, nice. I'll have to revisit it when you get it finalized but it's good so far!

Ahahaha, thanks!! it's got relationships now, but I want to add a few others too. these are updated from the crew record version, so Fiona's in it!

44 minutes ago, JackoMallows said:

So cool to see all of Idunn's info laid out like this! I can't wait to see you fill out the rest :D

WAH THANK YOU LIEGE!! I loved your layout for Rivera's so I hope it's alright that I used yours as a template irt how to arrange the info ehehehe

miss rivera ;___; i love her

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use