Economy from TG

SkeletalElite

5 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

I feel like the method proposed would just turn money into a slightly different form of irrelevant fluff from what it already is. If that is all its gonna be, why bother.

...plus, as has been mentioned...money having actual value would add yet another version of greif and abuse we would have to monitor. If the players here have proven one thing, its that some of them will always try to game the system. I know...you can't help yourselves. This is why we can't have nice things.

While I disagree that what I proposed would make it irrelevant fluff I can't disagree with the extra form of grief and abuse that would follow since it is inevitable you'll get individuals who try to game the system at the expense of others.

Maybe one day we'll have those nice things...

• Like 1

I have been playing on tg everyday for a week now, and while their economy does NOT seem to be persistent even their shoddily implemented half baked economy rework is still vastly superior to the paradise system, this is best illustrated by the fact that despite tg terry being a very low RP server, people actually sell items and pay each other for services rendered far more often than on paradise! 

One of the most important features is easing transactions by allowing players to withdraw credit holochips from their ID by alt clicking it. Even their barebones implementation would be be a great addition to paradise.

Thoughts on persistence:

I agree that there are issues with a permanent economy. i suggest instead option for a semipermanent economy that resets after x(10,20 30) days. This would mitigate a lot of the issues such as inflation, extreme wealth imbalances and getting robbed or going broke is not as big of a deal.

The IC justification for this could be that NT reserves the right to manage your savings and end up losing it all due to risky investments.

This would still reward more active player and players of higher paid roles. This is a good thing in my opinion as this social stratification can foster RP.

Of course in my ideal implementation, the player would be able to set two withdrawal limits one for their card and one for the ATM, this way theft would be limited but still possible.

A player who mains assistants and does not regularly play might not be able to buy a full set of tools at roundstart but instead have to choose only the most essential ones, ask cargo or scavenge maint. Is that really so horrible? That incentivises them to actually take jobs assisting other departments and its actually matters to them if they are caught misbehaving and as a result have their tools confiscated.

Poor player wont be able to empty the chemfridge but instead have to rely on doctors to treat them, is that so bad? SS13 is not an E-sport its a RPG, its okay if not all players start the round on a completely equal footing if it fosters RP.

PS: While i personally would like to see this kind of semi persistent system implemented i think paradise staff are too conservative to attempt to any kind persistent economy as it would have a decent risk of failure i do however believe that some kind of tg style(nonpersistent) rework could feasibly become reality.

Edited by Kryson

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use