Joining as entity from starting screen

Shina

My suggestion:

- Allow joining as friendly (standard) entities from the starting screen, aka Ian, E-N, Poly, also Diona Nymphs, excluding antag entities like Borers;

- Allow joining into activated Posibrains from the starting screen;

- Maybe also allow registering a pAI in the starting screen.

My reasoning:

Sometimes I really love playing as a non-crew friendly entity. But I don't like giving up the chance to join as crew role just to realize that the entity I would have wanted to play as is either taken, dead or does not exist (in the case of Dionae). In that case I would like to still have the chance to normally join as a second option.

In the case of cyborgs, I more often than not had the experience that ghosting before joining as borg took away from my round experience, because in almost every case the round type and even an antag identity is revealed to me, thus giving me information I would have liked not to have. Same with pAI, but to a lesser and less relevant degree.

A point speaking against this would maybe be that it possibly takes away roles from people that are dead/not revivable. Another point against it might be that it gives away minor IC knowledge.

There might be a lot of pros and cons to this that I have not considered before. And probably not enough people are interested in this option to make the work someone would have to put into the implementation worthwhile. Please feel free to comment.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Shina said:

In the case of cyborgs, I more often than not had the experience that ghosting before joining as borg took away from my round experience, because in almost every case the round type and even an antag identity is revealed to me, thus giving me information I would have liked not to have. Same with pAI, but to a lesser and less relevant degree.

This is one of the first tenants of role-playing. Playing In Character. If you are having difficulty separating Ghost info from IC info you just really need to... Well hell. From my perspective. I observe for 45. Join as Sec Borg due to apathy and willingness to RP and help. Know its cult. or X whatever. Know of certain people. Know of compromised areas. How does one not just use this info? You really have to put yourself into the entity you are creating. Willful ignorance frankly. even to the point of not even looking at them to make the sprite turn in their direction. Within the first 5-10 minutes of assuming said roll suddenly I am getting information from my coms or from AI. I always ask what the situation report is, or investigate the current situation to get a general idea. You can very rapidly become up to speed on the situation without compromising playing in character. It's kinda a weird separation from ego. Not just speaking from IG stuff here, also speaking from many many years of table top dice and pencil role-playing. Where groups just wouldn't tolerate OOC info. It's just standard to me. So I don't mean to make it sound so easy, it certainly took me a looong time to get really good at it.

Edited by Malphystoh
Typos :C

I fully support the idea.

It is REALLY hard to play that you don't know something, when you know that. 

I'm into LARPs I know I'm nerd and belive me, people just use OOC information they gathered for their own benefits. 

Besides ICK OCK, idea is just good. 

I wonder how difficult it would be to code something like that for PosiBrains. Doesn't it search for active ckeys first? How would it would it work for a non ghost? And what happens if a ghost and a non-ghost accepts posibrain request at the same time? Who would it prioritize first?

41 minutes ago, Trubus said:

Doesn't it search for active ckeys first?

It offers it to all ghosts who have it enabled and are not banned from synthetics.

41 minutes ago, Trubus said:

And what happens if a ghost and a non-ghost accepts posibrain request at the same time? Who would it prioritize first?

What happens right now that everyone who says "yes" gets added to a list then it selects a random person from the list. I would say adding people simply to the current list would be fair.

42 minutes ago, Trubus said:

I wonder how difficult it would be to code something like that for PosiBrains.

Quite tricky, actually.

I am wondering about picking this up, for I wanted to do this myself actually... But it sounds quite difficult.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use