Warden tips

Landerlow

Recently I've been playing Warden a lot, I love it. (Alfred Keitel is the name, by the way). While I have generated salt (which is hilarious in some cases) I've also been lenient and given some karma and all that. I just would like to know if you guys have some tips to improve my warden gameplay.

• Leave out the box of Holobadges at round start. They're an underestimated tool that is a good second Identification in case of officer compromise.
  • Paper trails are your friends. Fill out that form completely when you brig someone and keep all of your papers in line.
  • Bored? Do some quality of life things for officers. Slap seclights onto E-Guns for later, slip into Perma Brig (provided it isn't occupied) and make some holsters for the team, ask the HoS/Captain if you can make some cargo orders to bolster to armory, and then cry with Central Command sends an auditor to ask why.
  • Know your Brig Physician, Love your Brig Physician. Call me biased, but the BP is the only other offer who will be in the brig 80% of the time. Your Brig Phys is your best friend, you give her a taser when she asks treat her right, she'll treat you right.
Edited by Someonewithapen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Someonewithapen said:
  • Paper trails are your friends. Fill out that form completely when you brig someone and keep all of your papers in line.

This is an extremely good tip. Security records are deleted more often than one would think and then names are quickly forgotten. Not with neat paperwork though - they can save the round.

• Like 1

One thing I've repeatedly encountered playing warden is people just bypassing you and running the brig themselves. The HoS technically has the right to do it, even if it's shitty, but I've had sec officers, magistrates...

I'll politely remind them that I need to be aware of what's going on to keep the brig running smoothly and chew out anyone that cells a guy with his toolbelt still on, but if they continuously ignore you and are trashing the brig and making it impossible to do your job, just go down and get reassigned, either to sec officer or to a different division, it's not worth the heartache.

I've had to do it twice.

Another good thing to keep in mind is you'll have downtime. Play dispatcher a little bit: Know where your units are, what calls they're on, who's alive and who's dead, and keep tabs on threats and ensure crucial messages get repeated a couple times. We had a vampire round yesterday while I was the warden and I still had security officers asking "We have vampires??" the *third time* I recapped the threat situation over the radio.

Don't hesitate to megaphone the intercomm if people won't shut the fuck up for five seconds so you can do a roll call or recap a critical emergency or threat report.

This is an extremely good tip. Security records are deleted more often than one would think and then names are quickly forgotten. Not with neat paperwork though - they can save the round.

If your officers or yourself are using the brig timers right, the brig computer system will manage their records and arrest status for you. It's so simple to do. Yes, it's funny the first time you brig Fartlick Buttstank for Scrungle Touching, but 5 minutes later when they get released still set to arrest, the comms are going to explode into "WHY AM I WANTED" "SECURITY IS ROGUE" "WHAT IS JOHNSON JOHNSON WANTED FOR" "BEEPSKY IS ROGUE CARD THE AI" etc etc.

Edited by Sonador

I need to play the role more myself but here are some tips that I've seen from observing the brig a lot.

Learn your prisoner types and how to identify them. You'll have those that scream and fuss no matter what you do. For them you're best off with just getting things over with quickly. Telltale signs are screaming over the radio, and attempting to break out with a 5-10 minute sentence. The calmer or at least more collected prisoners can fall into those with a plan, and those shifting from gameplay mode to roleplay mode.

The first are waiting for you to slip up or for their plan to come together. It can be tricky but not impossible to catch these people in the act but really don't take it as a huge loss if these people get away. The last group realises their round is over and wants to get some decent roleplay out of the situation. It can be really busy in the brig, especially on highpop, but if there's a quiet moment they can really appreciate some talking to. If you indulge them they might just repay the favor either by making themselves helpful or at least causing less damage.

Pepper spray is your friend. If you're correctly stripping eyewear and masks when you're brigging its a safer option than anything else.  If they disarm your baton, you're suddenly on near equal footing. If they disarm your pepper spray they're still stuck in there with a now angry warden. This even works on masked voxes, though they won't stay down as long. I'd use pepper spray over any other tool whenever possible. Heck. Carry two of them. If you're real tough you can use it as a condiment. You'll actually gain a tiny bit of fullness from it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use