Improve the wanted issue system on Paradise

Landerlow

As you may or may not know, wanted issues can be broadcasted through the broadcaster network, originating from a security broadcaster. 

However, its uses are very limited.

1) Since photos can no longer be printed from consoles, there aren't much photos to add to a wanted issue.

2) There can only be one wanted issue at a time

3) The only visible alert of a wanted issue distribution is at the beginning, when all broadcasters BZZZZZT.

What I would like to see changed: 

1) If the name of the suspect is correct, add a photo from their record to the issue automatically.

2) Make it so multiple wanted issues can be made

3) Make a reminder / an alert option to alert people to outstanding wanted issues by having broadcasters re-broadcast it. This can be triggered manually on a security broadcaster. 

4) Change the warning/reminder text of a distributed/outstanding wanted issue to a red-colored text or other color, to make it more noticeable in chat.

• Like 1

The problem is that newscaster code is very very complicated for very little reward. Just adding title broadcasting to newscasters required navigating a ton of spaghetti. Multiple wanted issues would be a nightmare to implement. It might be simpler to just have the HoS make an announcement along with a description.

If Sec wants to announce who they're looking for, the HoS can already do this with the console in their office. This is easier to use and more obvious to crew.

Expanding the wanted poster system would be more technically complicated, and would not be as effective as regular HoS-made announcements.

Not to mention, it is an open question as to what degree Security should ask crew for help tracking down wanted people. Validhunting is a problem, after all.

• Like 1

Another suggestion then @tzo - Give the warden the authority to make station-wide broadcasts just like HoS, CMO, NT rep, etc. The warden is in charge of keeping prisoners locked up and updating records, etc. This would be a nice touch.

Also I would look at the newscaster code (not that I think I'll understand a lot of the spaghetti) if someone pointed me to where the code is in the .. code. (RIP)

2 hours ago, Landerlow said:

Another suggestion then @tzo - Give the warden the authority to make station-wide broadcasts just like HoS, CMO, NT rep, etc. The warden is in charge of keeping prisoners locked up and updating records, etc. This would be a nice touch.

A similar argument could be made by the QM. We have to draw the line somewhere - currently its roughly drawn around members of Command.

4 hours ago, Landerlow said:

Also I would look at the newscaster code (not that I think I'll understand a lot of the spaghetti) if someone pointed me to where the code is in the .. code. (RIP)

Sure! Here's the relevant files:

main newscaster code

newscaster interface code

You'll probably have to update the admin newscaster too...

And probably the admin topic function (which is a 3000 line function I think), since admins can add wanted issues through there

It's probably not the worst code ever, I would just be worried that people continue not to use wanted issues.

That really gave me a headache. All I want is to make multiple wanted issues and an 'alert station' button which manually gives the alarm sound again with a reminder message. It SOUNDS simple to me, even though it might not be. Thanks for the code, anyway

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use